X

Not all cops created equal or are they

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not all cops created equal or are they

I was talking with a inlaw that is a cop today about the top speed of his CBR
    My nephew asked him what the top speed he has hit with it and he reluctantly claimed 230ish KM/H
    Not sure if he was B.S ing or not .
    I had stated that at 180 KM/H or higher I tend not to focus on the speedo so much and lock on the road !

In Ontario Canada excess speed , 50KM/H over posted is concidered street racing , which means they SEIZE your vehicle and it is DESTROYED

He stated that since this law came into effect he tries to stay with in that window because some cops would not extend the curtesy of letting a fellow officer off the hook

Should have asked him if he has let ANYONE off of a street racing rap
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post

In Ontario Canada excess speed , 50KM/H over posted is concidered street racing , which means they SEIZE your vehicle and it is DESTROYED
    As far as I know that is completely wrong, the vehicle is towed and impounded for a week not destroyed. And as an added bonus if found innocent or the charges are reduced your still on the hook for the towing and "storage fees" the tow company charges.

They Did destroy a few "ricers" last year IIRC but that was more of a publicity stunt.
    Kyle

Comment

vehicle is not destroyed. only impounded.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Just as not all individuals are created equal in personality, not all cops are cut from a single cloth.

And, yes, you should have asked if he extended the same courtesy to other riders not affiliated with the police. Good question...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The vehicle is impounded for 7 days and your licence would be suspended for the same amount of time. The vehicle is not seized and destroyed.

But the 7/7 is not only for doing 50km/h over. It's also if the cop 'thinks' you were stunting or even thinks 'you have been' stunting. What is stunting...? Whatever the cop deems it to be.

This is one of the big problems with this law. And one of the many reasons you have many people ticked off that this law allows police to bypass having been found guilty of anything before they can impound your ride and suspend your licence.

It's also one of the many reasons enthusiasts have been speaking to their local MPP's (Minister of Provincial Parliment) about it - including myself.

And here's the petition...

Last edited by yellowK; 07-20-2008, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I guess I won't be riding through Canada any time soon
            2007 Honda CBR600rr
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
              I guess I won't be riding through Canada any time soon
              I think you fall under the category of low flying aircraft so you should be Ok .
              Kyle

Comment

i stand corrected, however not really interested in testing my luck
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i stand corrected, however not really interested in testing my luck
                  Just remember 50 over is only part of the law, the list of things you can be charged with is quite long. Sadly though it seems everyone focuses on the 50+ part and forgets the others.

to name a few.....

a burn out
                  popping a wheelie
                  Lane splitting
                  brake checking someone

and second hand rumour that riders have been threatened to be charged for....
                  standing on the pegs to stretch
                  riding with one hand
                  Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                    I think you fall under the category of low flying aircraft so you should be Ok .
                    Cool...I wanted to go over and visit my crazy Canadian friends some time this year
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
                      and second hand rumour that riders have been threatened to be charged for....
                      standing on the pegs to stretch
                      I have been pulled over for that here in PA. Cop thought I was about to do something like a wheelie and such. I was merely letting my nads fall back to place after a longer ride. I was given a verbal warning to not stunt and a talk about how it is dangerous and such then let on my merry way.

I did not mind it really as we do have a lot of kids in our area popping up the front end and even a warning might instill some sense in them so it was fine for me.....
                      I am a Penn State fanatic.
                      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                      X