Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

The Great Advancer Thread! BACK IN STOCK!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does that price include the cover gasket? Does the installation of the advancer require a rejetting?
    Thanks
    1989 750 Katana
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    1993 Volvo 850 GLT
    2000 Dodge Durango SLT

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      If you're very concerned about fuel mileage with an Ivan's, lean out the pilots to 3.5 turns instead of 4 turns and your mileage will go back up by about 10%.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      I am not that concerned about mileage but I hear of stories that they are only getting 150 miles to the tank whick equates to about 30 mpg. others have said their stock bike were getting around low 40's, To me that is a huge loss but then again I have no idea how the riders getting 30 mpg are riding. Seems you never get the whole story.

Anyway I was stumped with Ivan's suggestion of #15 (stock) pilot jets when in reality they are #12.5. I had asked him but he couldn't remember what bike had the #15's stock as the microfiche shows 12.5. So taking into account his recommendations I am already lean on the pilot side of things.

I just got your package so I am going to run the valves this weekend and then I can start playing with the carbs and see what I get. Hopefully I don't have to change anything.

plus usually hesitation coming off idle with the DynoJets
      I found this to be true on all the bikes I installed a dynojet kit on. 2 Yamahas, 1 Honda, 1 Suzuki. So it isn't just a kat problem with the dynojet kit.

Tmod
      Last edited by Tmod; 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BGPKR View Post
        Does that price include the cover gasket? Does the installation of the advancer require a rejetting?
        Thanks
        The kit does NOT include the gasket, but the gasket it normally reuseable (comes from the factory as a fiber gasket without any sealant on it and is installed without any sealant).
        No, the advancer has zero to do with the carbs and does not depend in any way on the jetting; there is no requirement to rejet for the advancer, although it's a good upgrade to do at the same time.

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        I am not that concerned about mileage but I hear of stories that they are only getting 150 miles to the tank whick equates to about 30 mpg. others have said their stock bike were getting around low 40's, To me that is a huge loss but then again I have no idea how the riders getting 30 mpg are riding. Seems you never get the whole story.
        Fuel mileage is lowest at sea-level (highest pressure level = most fuel) and with high humidity (highest air resistance = most consumption), plus heavy-throttle use and high speeds. The worst mileage I got was right at triple-digit speeds at 15 feet over sea-level, 99% humidity, hauling my Givi saddlebags (wind resistance), and that was around 31 mpg. But without the jetkit, given the rest remaining the same, I only get around 35 - 36 mpg with the same conditions. Once I get up into the mountains (cooler, dryer air) and drop the bags, my mileage goes up to around 42 - 45 mpg with the jetkit. Then again, you don't have to drive like me

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 07-03-2008, 11:01 AM.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just to confirm: It sound like the ignition advancer does not change the amount of gas used, just the timing--meaning that it shouldn't significantly modify gas mileage, correct?

<----Bit of a newbie with regard to the mechanical intricacies...
          Last edited by cmgast; 07-03-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Correct. The advancer does not change fuel mileage itself in any way; the only thing it changes is spark timing and by that effect, the way heat builds in the engine.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do you mean that it runs a bit hotter?

Comment

Originally posted by cmgast View Post
                Do you mean that it runs a bit hotter?
                In the lower three gears, because it holds the detonation product a bit longer before the exhaust valves open (more correctly, the spark occurs earlier), it runs hotter. At normal highway speeds, this is a non-issue, but if you tend to run in just the lower three gears (lots of canyon carving) or idle in place for quite some time (traffic jams), it will overheat the bike some 12 - 15% faster than it would without the advancer.
                Flip-side, if you live somewhere cold, the bike will warm up a lot easier and faster.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I see....I don't actually have a lot of opportunity to hit highway speeds here, and much of my riding never goes beyond 4th gear (commuting to downtown, school, etc.)--with my schedule, my weekend rides can't stray too far from Seattle. But it's never terribly hot in Seattle either.

I'll think about it for a while, probably just in time for you to sell-out, then decide that I want one.

Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Well, I'm taking you guys' advice. I just ordered a Factory Pro jet kit and am returning the Dynojet kit I bought. I also decided to get a shift kit, can't wait to get it all installed.

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                      Well, I'm taking you guys' advice. I just ordered a Factory Pro jet kit and am returning the Dynojet kit I bought. I also decided to get a shift kit, can't wait to get it all installed.
                      Well that is not the kit either one of us suggested but if you want that kit there was a member selling one in the for sale section.

Tmod

Comment

4 sale section?

Where is the 4 sale section?
                        Bill P 91311

Comment

Originally posted by billp91311 View Post
                          Where is the 4 sale section?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                            I would recommend Factory Pro over Ivan's any day. I also enjoy a kit with more tuning capabilities. I Have an engine combo with GSXR cams, there fore, tuning is a big issue. I sold a brand new Ivan's jet kit to CP and bought a Factory Pro. As far as just drop in with no tuning, no doubt Ivan's is the best. When cams come into play, jetting is very dependent on cam lift duration, there fore the Factory Pro kit is better. It all about combo's and what your after.

Comment

Having just installed the advancer I can say that it really wakes up my 750. It's almost as if I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

The engine RPM seems to climb smoother and quicker than with the stock North America timing.
                              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                                Well that is not the kit either one of us suggested but if you want that kit there was a member selling one in the for sale section.

Tmod
                                yes it is. I have a pre.

Comment

Working...
                                X