Advice on the future!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on the future!

Advice on the future!

I bought my Kat in 03 and have now finally paid it off and it now belongs to me.
    Over the years I’ve spent a lot of money getting her the way she is now.
    I love the Kat very much and have had many good years on her as well as off.
    What should I do now……..

1: Keep the Kat but add a stage 3 jet kit and change a few more things?
    2: Drop a bigger engine in her (1200) and change a few more things?
    3: Sell her and buy a Blackbird (second-hand)?

The bottom line is I’m looking for more power in a bike and don’t want to end up with something that is not going to give me value for money. I also don’t want to get into owing the bank again. I do a lot of two up riding and we both feel the Kat is a little underpowered. Or have we just gotten so used to it we are “wanting” more than the Kat is capable of?

Thanks

Tok

i vote blackbird...

just on the rareity of the model...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I would also vote for the blackbird.

Comment

Instead of dropping in a new motor, maybe look for a clean Bandit 1200??
        More power ann comfort.

Comment

I pick choice # 2 you like the kat this will give you the extra power that you are looking for yet you keep the things that you enjoy from the kat
          sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

I think it's pretty common to always be after a new better thing no matter what it is.

On the other hand, nice bike! it's paid for etc etc.

Why not keep the Kat and give it to the person (lady) you two up with?

Comment

Blackbird!
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

I vote Blackbird here...I always wanted one of those....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

My opinion is not worth much, but if you can get into the "Blackbird" for what you get out of the Kat, I'd say, go that route.
                  You spoke of "2 up" riding. My next question would be, for how far? For just scooting around town, the Blackbird should be fine for 2, but take it out of town or up and back to the north end of the country...not so good for the bike or your pillion. In that case, you may want to consider a used VFR, a Duc. Multistrada or your homemade Sprint ST. Any one of these bikes are a whole lot more "bike" than your current Kat, so I could see it costing you a lot more out of pocket with or without carrying another note.
                  You’re in a good scenario now with equity in what you’re riding. Much better than when ya first started. But also think of this, the more miles you put on your Kat the less it's worth. IMHO, if you’re looking to expand your motorcycling horizons, the Kat is a great starter, or a "keeper" for others, but just a stepping stone to where you want to be.
                  Good luck, and keep us posted on what your decision was. It could be an example for the rest of us in your situation.
                  It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Since the Blackbird was still offered new through last year in the UK (it was only out in the US through '99 if I recall correctly), what year are you looking at considering in terms of what you can afford? And how often is the Kat actually underpowered for your needs (over 100 mph on the M1/M3?).

I'd suggest going for the blackbird if it's reasonably in your price range. I have no clue how MoT would look at a 1200 engine in the Kat, and honestly, while it's a great upgrade, it's one that you'd probably have to eat the costs if it ever came time for resale...

The question then is whether to keep the Kat or to sell it...

PS - please make that decision before I ship you the custom formed carbon protector for the tank!

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd heard the Air Force had retired the Blackbird, but now you can BUY one?!?!?!? holy crap, Mach snot with your hair on fire at 100,000 feet plus WOW
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        I'd heard the Air Force had retired the Blackbird, but now you can BUY one?!?!?!? holy crap, Mach snot with your hair on fire at 100,000 feet plus WOW

The Kat with the engine swap is intriguing, but I'm going to vote BLACKBIRD!
                        Way, WAY, comfortable machine with outstanding power and a nice rear seat.
                        sigpic

Comment

OK inform the not so informed, I know what the SR-71 is, but what is a blackbird other than the air forces version?

Comment

Honda CBR11XX, aka Honda Blackbird. Before the arrival of the Busa, it was the top-speed demon of the planet, and is a very Honda-esque bike in the sense that it is very, very smooth & civilized (US market actually complained about it not having enough "personality" because the power builds so smoothly). The ergo's are very Katana-like, the fairing has the cross-section of a then-250.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would get the blackbird

Comment

Working...
                              X