No announcement yet.
X

How many more years of Kat production?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think no more year an no other modell, cause suzuki want to sell more bandits!
    West of Germany
    greetz Carsten

Comment

At worst, the thing's long overdue for a cosmetic makeover!
      '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

If they can the katana they can the bandit as well - the only reason either bike will stop being produced is emissions and both are carbureted, air/oil cooled engines.

If they do the same as they did before they can get around the emsissions issue - flatter cams, leaner carbs and some emissions junk added on....

They will keep at it as long as it is profitable at the current price point.

the real question is how many spares do they have sitting around waiting for assembly and how long till the tooling wears out
        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
          I think the Kat's currently living its last year.
          I don't car I got mine!!!

Really? I'm thinking GSXRs are looking sweet.
          Maybe for my 50th birthday.. (the Kat was for 40)

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
            If they can the katana they can the bandit as well - the only reason either bike will stop being produced is emissions and both are carbureted, air/oil cooled engines.
            Well, the bandit is assured continuation for a number of more years in the new 650 guise... The redesign was specifically to keep about the same power output (maybe a bit more torque) while complying with the Euro-3 pollution requirements -- which happen to be about the same as the Tier-1 aka 2006 requirements in the USA. Unlike the US, where emissions are based on model year, the Europeans have to have all the "new" bikes on the sales floor in compliance unless they've been registered already, so their 2005 fleet generally is in compliance with the 2006/Euro-3 requirements (such that any 2005's still on the floor come 1 January 2006 don't have to be returned the manufacturer).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have no idea, but i will tell you this. the dealer we have here in wyoming had two kats. an 03 600, and an 03 750. they told me that they have had both on the showroom floor since brand new, and haven't sold. i snagged up the 600 for cheap, and now i'm trying to convince them to let me trade up to the 750. either way, suzuki is definately doing something wrong with the kat. they simply are not popular.
              "he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pains of being a man"- Dr. Gonzo

Comment

The really dont market it at all. Obviously, you wanna push as many marketing dollars as you can into your bread n butter, that being the gixxers, busa's, even the bandits.. as well as their motox bikes as well.

It's suzuki's version of the mid size sport tourer, and yes, while in desperate need of a cosmetic makeover at the minimum ( although I do really like the design the way it is, having it be alittle more sleek like the bandit fairing or even the gs500f designs now), they just seem pretty much content to squeeze every last drop of cash they can out of the kat and let it ride off into the sunset.

I wonder what the european sales numbers are for kats?

Comment

I've been hearing alot of talk about suzuki discontinuing the katana,To bad they can't justify redesigning it.I'm seriously looking at the SV1000s as my next bike. 8)
                  97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

the SV and the Bandit would the main reasons they wouldnt continue it, whenever that faitful day comes...

Comment

they simply are not popular
                      Anyone disagree with this? Seem popular enough around here....

What does everyone expect? They made a 900cc water cooled katana - the 900RF and it didn't make it.

That kat fills a gap between the GS500 and the GSXR/Hayabusa in their line. It is mild enough for beginners, comfortable enough for the re-entry rider and capable enough for the budget mided sport tourer. The technology was R&D'ed 20 years ago. The design was paid for by the early 90's and the bike is a good seller year in and year out. This bike costs them nothing to make and builds brand loyalty. How many katana owners have stayed with suzuki and bought a SV/TLR/TLS/Gix/Bandit?

It does a job at a price point that few bikes can match. They give them away to draw people in, and the bulletproof reliability builds the name.
                      I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I dont think they GIVE them away. Whats the sticker for a new Katana 6400? Compare that to a completely modern SS 600 at what 8300?

The Katana is a great bike, but when they are sold new I think they are a bit overpriced.
                        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                        X