X

Radar detector mounting idea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar detector mounting idea

First off, I've read a few threads on here about possible mouting options, but unfortunately I don't like the idea of having a tank bag getting in the way of my big fat belly and I don't like any of the handlebar/stem mount options, due to aesthetics.

I've always hated suctions cups and have mounted my RD's mounting clip with 3M industrial double sided sticky tape, and it has the grip of hell's fury. Even when i decide to remove the mounts, it takes considerable prying force to remove.

I was thinking of mounting it the same way on the windshield, high up, and center mounted. Do you guys think it will hold up to the elements and abuse?
    WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

do you ride in all the elements? I keep my bike in doors when I dont ride and if you do ride in the elements your instrument cluster should still stay dry. Go for if if you keep it out of the rain/ sun when your not riding.

Comment

Consider an split-system, where the receiver is a separate piece from the display -- then tuck the receiver above the third eye on the front fairing... M25 X-Treme comes to mind.

Or you could easily plastic weld (or glue with the right plastic glues) a piece of lexan cut to match the curve of the windshield to the inside of it, and use that as your mounting shelf. Use two pieces (one below, one above) and some sides, and you could have a permanently integrated waterproof box

Meanwhile, there are outfits out there that sell water-proof boxes with mounting kits that mount to your handlebars or optionally to your gas tank lid bolts.

Then again, whistler makes one specifically for motorcycles (the crusader), but I suspect it's not as sensitive/intelligent as some of the better offerings on the market. Permanent install.
      Adaptiv TPX is also a motorcycle-specific install, and it's a water-proof unit designed specifically for bikers (removable/storable/small; display on the top-side instead of the front). Like the crusader, it comes with additional options, such as in-helmet notification.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah. . . I'm not that mechanically inclined as to fab my own pieces, plus I can't do a lot of work to my bike or else my apartment manager will threaten to evict me (yet again). I've already spent a ton of money on my RD, and am hesitant to spend a lot of money on an inferior unit, so I'm going to do my best to mount the unit I have.

I just hate how the handlebar mounts look so odd when mounted on the bike. There's the stem mounts, but often times they block the gauges. . .
        WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

Working...
        X