X

Clip type link versus rivet type.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip type link versus rivet type.

Sorry, I know this has come up before, but I am about to go for a new chain and sprockets and don't want to spent the extra cash for the chain tool for the rivet type master link. Has anyone had a problem with the clip type? Has anyone run one for years with no problem? Just looking for feedback before I commit to one way or the other. Thanks all.

I don't have experience running on a clip-style link, but I can tell you that most people will suggest only using the clip-type to drive to the shop so they can rivet on a proper master. I'm not sure how much it would cost for a shop to replace a clip-type with a rivet-type, but it can't be more than a few dollars.

I bought a used chain with a clip-type attached and I could not for the life of me get it off, so I think they are pretty durable and if I didn't find the rivet tool for $25, I'd probably be running one right now.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

the clip type sucks large farm animals.

Comment

I am pretty sure the MD86 (remember him?) has been using the clip type for years without any problems. Personally I would rivet the chain, but the clip would work.

Comment

I would prefer not to worry about broken clutch parts or about the condition of my left leg should things go really bad, not to mention being stranded because of using a clip style master.

This is probably where the "weakest link" phrase came from.

Not worth it IMHO.

(Not an option on our bikes, but for some others you can get the chains factory riveted in a loop - nothing better than that)
          Last edited by Cheriff; 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

Having dropped a correctly installed master link clip, you can bet your ***, I will never again. I have heard tricks to put them on permanently with RTV or safety wire, but I wouldn't do it again. Too much expensive stuff for the chain to mess up on the way out to nickle and dime the other. Either buy the tool, or take it somewhere and have them install the link.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

MD had his raft of problems with the clips; the only one who hasn't has been MeanStrk. I've run clips in the far distant past (when you had unsealed chains that had to come off to wash & reoil); my advice is if you go this way, always carry not one, but two spare masterlinks & a handful of clips under the seat -- it's a question not of if the chain will come off the bike, but when & where.

I agree with the advice of using a rivet link, or if you want to go easier on the wallet, take a look at EK's bolt-down rivet system instead -- you tighten two bolt to mushroom the head and then snap the threaded portion off.

PS - Cheriff, the OEM chain that came from the factory on every Kat was an "endless chain". If you were willing to do what is necessary to fit it (remove the swingarm if I recall), you can use these, but it's not worth the extra effort, IMHO.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-31-2008, 03:16 AM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I do believe you are right CP. If someone plans on changing their chain when they are removing the swingarm for another reason that would be an excellent choice.

I used one of those EK screw masters as my temporary before going to the dealer. It seemed like a pretty cool solution.
                -2000 "750"

Comment

I had a clip come off on my last chain. I had to wire it shut and drive it about 30 miles (on pins and needles) to a shop. The guy at the shop put a rivet one on for me. I only noticed it because that particular chain was an ebay special and was junk the second I put it on (o-rings were poppin' off left and right), so I never trusted it. If your not so diligent about looking at your chain, you could run into problems.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I need to do this in a hurry. I kinda forgot I had the clip. But no problems yet. So far I've have been lucky so far.
                    sigpic
                    Update Jul 11 2014
                    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mx916 View Post
                      Has anyone had a problem with the clip type?
                      Yes . I lost TWO chains while in motion . BOTH installed by the dealer with clip-types . I bought the tool and do my own now . Plus letting friends borrow it or by lunch for help is kinda cool .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i hope i dont run into any situations but ive been riding on clip type, so far no problem

Comment

I never had any issues running a clip. However, it was safety wired and had red silicon gasket on it. I run this set up at the track were the speed was a little faster. But I did check the bike almost every time I cam off the track. And would check everything the day before my track days. Hence, if the safety wire needed to be replaced it was.

Most chains on the street are not check every day let alone every week.

Comment

Originally posted by mx916 View Post
                            Sorry, I know this has come up before, but I am about to go for a new chain and sprockets and don't want to spent the extra cash for the chain tool for the rivet type master link. Has anyone had a problem with the clip type? Has anyone run one for years with no problem? Just looking for feedback before I commit to one way or the other. Thanks all.
                            I was a motorcycle messenger for many years, using the clip style never failed me in all that time.

Comment

I run the clip type, but I have a bit of JB weld holding the clip in place. Lost a clip before trying the JB weld but never an issue afterward.
                              The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Working...
                              X