No announcement yet.
X

Do you run yellows ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I have to think about it, I go. If I have to think about it and get a little adrenalin rush from it, I go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
      OMG the spelling Nazi made a mistake!!!!!

I looked at it and thought it didn't look right, and left it anyway. Thanks for correcting me
      I wasn't correcting you, I was just wondering what it was you do with your assess

I didn't even realize you mispelled something!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

running a yellow is good to do. either that or get rear ended, fishtail, lowside(or is it highside?), or do a unwanted stoppie.
        Hello World.

Comment

Bike:
          Yellow light = look in side mirrors.

If tailing cage is slowing, I brake..... if not, I hammer it. People are VERY bike conscious around here.

Jeep:
          Yellow light = Hammer it, regardless.
          Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Like several others, it depends on the situation for me. More often than not I go on if no one is turning left in front of me or ready to peel out when their light turns green. It's less to watch for which makes for a quicker decision.

If you look behind you and depend entirely on what you see in your mirrors, it could be easy to mistake a car expecting you to go on for one who is slowing, which could result in you ending up under their front bumper!
            Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

I am not sure I believe this thread.... okay, virtually everyone here said they run yellows. ESPECIALLY in their cages.

DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS?

What it means is that a ton of people are coming across that intersection trying to "beat the yellow" from the OTHER direction, as well.

Keep running yellows = get T-boned in the intersection.

I cannot believe the rationale is that you are afraid of getting hit from behind..... if you were slowing for the ligt in a conscientious fashion in the first place, this situation would not be an issue in the first place.

Spend a few bucks and get some additional brake lights or a modulator and stop for yellows.

Sheesh.
              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
                Bike:
                Yellow light = look in side mirrors.

If tailing cage is slowing, I brake..... if not, I hammer it. People are VERY bike conscious around here.

Jeep:
                Yellow light = Hammer it, regardless.
                consider urself lucky.... around here, even w/ all the hogs riding around, people still drive like tards...

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                  I am not sure I believe this thread.... okay, virtually everyone here said they run yellows. ESPECIALLY in their cages.

What it means is that a ton of people are coming across that intersection trying to "beat the yellow" from the OTHER direction, as well.

I cannot believe the rationale is that you are afraid of getting hit from behind..... if you were slowing for the ligt in a conscientious fashion in the first place, this situation would not be an issue in the first place.

Spend a few bucks and get some additional brake lights or a modulator and stop for yellows.

Sheesh.
                  Are you talking about making lefts across a yellow? I would only do that if there was no traffic coming from the other direction.

I'm really trying hard not to be an ass in my response, but your post is really kindof speculative. In most cases it is SAFER for a bike to go through a yellow than to try to stop, simply because we have a much shorter stopping distance than the car following us and are far more likely to get rear ended or lose control trying to avoid said cage.

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                    this is not true in every state as my mom was driving to work one morning and "ran" a yellow light. was pulled over and got a ticket for it. because the "yellow" light means "prepare to stop" and if your too close to stop safely then yes go through it. if your able to stop safely then you need to stop. i think its B*S that she got a ticket for it and i pretty much always go through yellow lights but thats what happened. o, this was in oregon where she got the ticket.
                    I seriously suspect your mother didn't clear the intersection before it turned red -- as there is no additional color to warn you that it will turn yellow in the USA, so you can't reasonably expected to stop for yellow the instant it changes to yellow.

Interesting TidBit:
                    In many European countries, lights go Red-Yellow-Green (instead of Red-Green like in the USA), with the yellow as a "hint" to put your car into gear and get ready to go...

:thumb-up:

It's also why I highly support overlapping reds for one to two seconds at intersections -- so much more effective at reducing accident rates than "redlight" cameras.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Drop down and haul a$$.

Comment

Originally posted by md68
                        I wouldn't consider it "running" a yellow , as it's still okay to cross the intersection on a yellow
                        Actually, this depends on the state. In drivers ed. a few years back, they told us that in Virginia running a yellow is the same as running a red. Most cops, however, look at the bar just before the intersection and if you cross it before the light turns red, they will not give you a ticket.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        It's also why I highly support overlapping reds for one to two seconds at intersections -- so much more effective at reducing accident rates than "redlight" cameras.
                        Yeah, all the lights around here do that.

If I think I can make it through the intersection before it turns red, I go for it. If not, I stop.

/kiba
                        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

you have to do what the situation demands...if the light is yellow and you have time to stop, then the call will be based on 1. are the cars coming up behind you, and 2. are there cars approaching the intersection from the other side anticipating a green, and probably most importantly, 3) is anyone coming at you the other way with the equal chance of running the yellow in order to make a dreaded left hand turn!

there are lots of scenarios so you have to do whats safest....if the cars going left/right across the intersection are stopped, and there is no oncoming traffic with the chance of rushing a left turn then its probably best to go through.

i know i once ran into a car (with my car) because i thought he was gonna run through the yellow..i was behind him and braked at the last minute and tapped him. no damage was done but if he was on a bike it might have been worse.

Comment

Here in Tajas the law is:
                            If your front wheels are over the stop line when the light goes red you're OK..
                            Scary..
                            I was told after moving here stopping at a yellow,
                            means you WILL get rear ended.. Scarier still.

I do this:
                            When the light goes yellow I look for left hand turners, no left turners I go, someone on my tail, I go. Usually I try to stop. I have seen some amazing red light running here in Austin.

If I'm on my own at a light I look both ways before going on green.
                            If I'm with other traffic I follow them through.
                            Being first into the intersection here means you are the first to taste bumper..

Comment

I am with paperairplane on this one. I have been riding long enough to have had some experience with the cages coming from the other direction with the intent to make a left hand turn on that yellow as well. And when someone is intent on burning through the yellow, they don't always think about signalling. So in short, I try not to do it. At a 4 way intersection it is too easy to miss the actions of each driver. So does this mean I just lock up and come to a screeching halt? No it doesn't. I have a system that works pretty good for me. If you are coming up to an intersection with a green, the crosswalk signal for the pedestrians going the same direction usually has a "walk" signal. If you see the light is green but the walk signal is flashing...or counting down, it is a sure sign that your yellow light is only seconds away. So I tend to look at the crosswalk signals before making my decision. That signal is slighly ahead of the traffic light, so it is a good warning as to what the traffic light is going to do. Once you get the hang of it, it eliminates all surprises.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yeah, using the walk/dont walk signals is a great way for city/town riding. I watch those as well... the ones that you gotta watch though are the first lights at the end of a highway, those dont always have em, and cagers come flying thru those all the time around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X