X

New kat rider, have some questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kat rider, have some questions.

Hey everyone. I'm new here. I wanted to say hello and ask a few questions.

I just picked up a 97 Katana 600 with 17,000 miles. I have never owned a bike before. I have taken the MSF class and gotten my liscence.

I got the bike for a decent price. When I bought it I had my buddy ride it to make sure it checked out.

As a new rider, I wanted to ask what can/should I do to insure that this bike is road ready and safe? So far, I have: Changed the oil and gave it a fresh tank of gas. I'm waiting on the DMV/insurance (long, boooring story) to finish up the registration (never register a vehicle as a minor) and was just doing some body work on it when I realized; i should probably check it over before going out riding (and learning) on it.

Before anyone jumps on my case about me being a minor: Like I said I have passed the MSF course, and already have a full set of gear (Helmet, Leather and Textile Jackets, and Pants) and am level-headed.

Well I made this too long.

If you read nothing else, read this: What can/should I do before taking my newly aquired 97 Kat 600 with 17,000 Miles on it to assure that it is safe to be on the street? (This weekend I am hoping for new tires, brake pads, and the like.) I am new to bikes, so I don't know what to check. There is a pretty decent clunk when putting it into first, is this normal?

Clutch cable? Gears? Brake Fluid? Tires? What can I do?!

Thanks! and sorry for making this so long!

~Collin
    Last edited by Roobvandam; 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM.

Congrats on the new bike. I'm sure you will get a ton of advice on the pre 98 kat. I'll just leave it at ride safe and have fun.

Comment

CP's site has some good info. The is mainly geared towards buying a bike, but will help: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...uyingused.html

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I would recommend that you go buy a shop manual. The Suzuki manual (at least the one I have for my '02 600) is excellent. It has a check list of fittings. fasteners cables etc that need to be checked on a regular basis. Also I would replace the brake fluid even if it looks new fluid is cheap and easy to replace. I would also check out the brake pads to make sure that they have enough meat. And of course the tires are critical. How are the controls? Do the cables need to be lubed? Also check the brake and fuel lines. If they look dried out or damaged replace them. Again fuel line is not expensive and you may find that you have a good reason to upgrade your brakes lines to stainless steel lines.

I would also recommend that you do not waste time or money on bodywork until you feel comfortable riding. If you make the plastics all nice and pretty murphy is sure to step in and the bike will fall and get damaged. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post

I would also recommend that you do not waste time or money on bodywork until you feel comfortable riding. If you make the plastics all nice and pretty murphy is sure to step in and the bike will fall and get damaged. Just my $0.02.
          good advice!

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I just bought a 96 750 kat a little while back. I found out while riding that the rear wheel was not aligned with the front. The bike had a weird wobble to it only at high speeds which was not detected when i went to test out the bike when i bought it. Type in motorcycle wheel alignment in google and some good stuff comes up. Its pretty easy. Also, I have that problem with first gear as well. Does anyone else have this problem, why does it happen. It clunks real hard when dropping into first especailly while moving.
            1996 Suzuki GSX750F
            1974 Suzuki TS125
            1978 International Scout II

Comment

Congrats Roobvandam and welcome to Katriders.

I'm sure everyone here will tell you exactly what you will need and do.

All I would like to say is, never ride faster than your guardian angle!
              Hope you have loads of fun and should I be the first to say..........

Tok

Comment

Big ones:

Tire age & type - date imprint on the sidewall needs to be under 5 years; tire should be a radial on both ends, weight rated & speed rated for the Kat in specific.

Fluids - you already changed the oil, brake fluid is next. Castrol GT LMA is my specific recommendation (Pep boys usually carries it, as do CycleGear stores). Brake lines, like tires, need to be replaced as they age -- $120 will get you wonderful HEL-brand stainless-steel-over-teflon replacements, contact HS2020.

Valve adjustment, aka 15k service. This is the big one and if it's done, everything else. Most dealers get around $320 to do it, or you could use that same $320 to buy good tools and never have to pay for it again...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

nice kat and welcome

Comment

First of all I want to thank everyone. You are probably the best bunch of forum go-er's that I have ever experienced (And I have experienced my fair share through Paintball...)

It is amazing how quick and valuable this information you guys gave me. Thanks a ton!

Lets go in order of replies here -

TZor - I have downloaded the manual and have been trying to read through it. I will have more time this weekend to go in depth. I plan on changing the brake fluid and pads this weekend, then.

Poet - Great advice, thanks. I will be buying new tires when I get the money (Next paycheck!). Do you have any suggestions? I don't plan on an aggressive performance style riding, especially this early. Longevity would probably be preferable here.

I will go to the local suzuki and see what they can do for the valve adjustment, and if the price is too high I will definetly consider doing it myself. I have a lot of friends that are very good mechanically and I am not too bad myself. Thanks again.

I will also begin to look into these lines.

Another note: I mainly bought the bike in order to be a learner bike. But if it turns out I love this beauty as much as I think I will, I may just end up using it permanently!

Again, i want to thank everyone for these awesome replies.

EYE CANDY:

After tackling these projects this weekend I will take some non-cell phone pics.

EDIT: So far i'm compiling a list of things I need to replace/check and what I have is:

-Tires (Front and Back)
                    -Brake Pads
                    -Brake Fluid (Castrol GT LMA - Pep Boys)
                    -Brake Lines (HEL_Brand stainless-steel-over-teflon HS2020)
                    -Valve Adjustment (15k service)

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I will do my best to keep you guys up to date as well!
                    ~Collin
                    Last edited by Roobvandam; 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokalosh View Post

...never ride faster than your guardian angle!

Tok
                      I prefer Isoceles

And Welcome to KR!
                      -
                      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

hello and welcome nice bike ride safe
                        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by Roobvandam View Post
                          Poet - Great advice, thanks. I will be buying new tires when I get the money (Next paycheck!). Do you have any suggestions? I don't plan on an aggressive performance style riding, especially this early. Longevity would probably be preferable here.
                          My advice for your specific year/model is:
                          Metzeler Z6 in a 120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear.
                          Substituting a Pirelli Diablo Strata in the same sizes is fine (actually made by the Metzeler factory two production lines over from the Z6's with the same basic design).
                          Try www.americanmototire.com and www.denniskirk.com for cheap prices

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Nice KAT! welcome and good luck!
                            2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                            Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                            2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Nice bike, and welcome to KR!

Comment

Working...
                              X