No announcement yet.
X

Looking at a 1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would take the 2000 and look elsewhere. 2000 will get you a nice turnkey starter bike.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by DefStatic View Post
      Basically, I am just looking for something for around town and back and forth to work (a 1 mile drive, but still costly in the Jeep), and short trips. No highway.
      1 mile isn't enough for most motorcycles to be happy (the engine needs to come up to temp regularly to boil off condensation, etc. in the oil), and the fuel mileage of that bike is apt to be in the mid- to high-30's. Given what you say you are planning on doing with it, you would be better served by either a scooter, or a small bike/dirt bike, both of which will come up to temp faster and get two to four times the mileage.
      Suggest you look at Kawasaki Ninja 250's, older Honda CB 400/450 models, Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki dirt bikes in the under 400cc range, or the 100 - 200cc scooter market. Spend no more than $1500 if buying used, and save the $500 for marginal items that need replacement (tires, chains/belts, etc). And because you are new to bikes, have whatever you are thinking about purchasing checked over by someone who does know bikes, including doing a compression test.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

don't forget to include the cost of gear in your budgeting. It can get quite pricey.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          1 mile isn't enough for most motorcycles to be happy (the engine needs to come up to temp regularly to boil off condensation, etc. in the oil), and the fuel mileage of that bike is apt to be in the mid- to high-30's. Given what you say you are planning on doing with it, you would be better served by either a scooter, or a small bike/dirt bike, both of which will come up to temp faster and get two to four times the mileage.
          Suggest you look at Kawasaki Ninja 250's, older Honda CB 400/450 models, Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki dirt bikes in the under 400cc range, or the 100 - 200cc scooter market. Spend no more than $1500 if buying used, and save the $500 for marginal items that need replacement (tires, chains/belts, etc). And because you are new to bikes, have whatever you are thinking about purchasing checked over by someone who does know bikes, including doing a compression test.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Do they make a Katana under 600cc? I'd like to stick with something like that, considering how nice this place and it's users have been to me. Or some sort of Suzuki sport bike?

Others IRL have also told me that a bike that size would probably be a bit much for someone starting out.

While the daily commute would be around a mile, I am sure I would ride longer other places. I would probably try a couple times a 5 hour trip to Vermont too, which is mostly back routes, no highway.
          1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*
          1998 Jeep GC LIMITED 5.9 *BUILT*
          1988 Suzuki Katana 600 GSX *LOOKING AT*

Comment

i restored a '79 KE100 for under $500. the little booger is a blast, street legal, weighs in at 180 pounds, and the book claims 150 mpg. i've only put 2 tanks of gas thru it over the course of 1 season so they might be right.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

they did have a 400, but not for sale in north america. I have only heard of a few of them being imported here. There will be endless debate on what size bike is good for a first bike, but really there are too many variables to consider. Things like your physical size need to be considered. The Katana is a heavy slower (than most) bike. It is forgiving and the throttle is easily controlled. That being said it handles like a turd, but is a stable bike at speed.

Search the forums as Katana as a first bike has been discussed many times.

Regardless of what you get, stick around. Lots of members don't have Kat's.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by DefStatic View Post
                Do they make a Katana under 600cc? I'd like to stick with something like that, considering how nice this place and it's users have been to me. Or some sort of Suzuki sport bike?
                Suzuki (if you have a brand preference) makes a 500cc bike that is like a smaller Katana (GS500, and later the GSF500). There are other brands of the same build-quality out there (the big ones are Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki), although each has it's own particular quirks, just like Suzuki bikes tend to.

We will welcome you to KR irrelevant of what you ride. Trust me...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                That being said it [the Kat] handles like a turd, but is a stable bike at speed.
                Sounds like you need to upgrade your tires & suspension

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Last edited by The CyberPoet; 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Sounds like you need to upgrade your tires & suspension

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  either that or you need to ride other bikes. The Kat in comparison with MOST other 600 or 750's handles like chit. I once read an article that described it as feeling like it had flat tires in comparison. It was an older article comparing the Kat 600 and the FZR 600. Having both of them in my garage I can say the article was bang on! The Kat is way more comfortable to ride, but it just does not handle anywhere near as well as any other 600 I have ridden.
                  Last edited by chinto; 05-15-2008, 09:34 PM.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Well, I E-mailed the seller and told her my situation. If she takes a lower offer, I will think about it, if not, oh well.

I should really save up my money anyways and invest wisely. The primary goal is to get around 50 MPG, which I am told a 600cc cycle prob won't hit. And I am told a 600cc cycle is not best suited for just city driving, with it's longest average drive being aroun 15 miles. I believe

I am looking at Ninjas now, 250cc. I hear they easily get 50 MPG and more, and are pretty cheap but not cheap as in quality. If I found a Katana for about $2000 I would consider it. Even getting close to 40 MPG (hopefully that is city) would be a signifigant improvement, and I really love the style.

I do worry that perhaps though for a 190lbs 6'2" guy, a 250cc Ninja might be too small, but I do not believe that would be the case. the tires do look a little punny for a cycle though.
                    1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*

Comment

You're right, you're not apt to get 50 mpg out of any 600 unless you absolutely grand-mother it all the time, and it's then a waste of consumables. A smaller bike takes less expensive consumables in general and does so less often as well (it'll run through tires & chains and so forth much slower).

At 6'2" and 190 lbs, I don't think the Ninja 250 will be too small for you (see this month's RIDER magazine article for pics of an over-six-footer on the newest one), but if it's a serious concern, go looking for something in the 400 - 500cc size or back to one of my previous suggestions: consider an above-49cc scooter instead.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Static, where in Maine are you? I live in Auburn. Also, the MSF isn't required, only the 8 hour course for the permit is, although the MSF 2-day class is highly recommended. Katana's are few and far between up in these parts. The ninja 250 is an amazing commuter bike and hold their value very well. You can easily find one in the 1500$ range. PM me if you live close to auburn.
                        2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                        '94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                          Static, where in Maine are you? I live in Auburn. Also, the MSF isn't required, only the 8 hour course for the permit is, although the MSF 2-day class is highly recommended. Katana's are few and far between up in these parts. The ninja 250 is an amazing commuter bike and hold their value very well. You can easily find one in the 1500$ range. PM me if you live close to auburn.
                          Yeah, I live in Lisbon. Well, technically I live in Brunswick now, but I am from Lisbon.

Shoot, that means the MSF 2 day class really is around $300 in Maine huh? At least the only one I found. I did find some local palces that did the 8 hour course for about $50. Can you take the MSF course and then the permit course or do you have to do it the other way around? Prob the other way around huh? LOL.

The seller said he is getting $700 back from the person he bought it from, so not going to go any lower. Too bad because it was a looker... but old. He won't tell me the miles for some reason. He also said he has a 1200cc Harely that gets 50 MPG city.

I am going to keep searching on eBay, Craigs List, and Local places. Maybe eevn pick up one of those Auto Hunter or Salvage mags and see if I can find anything in there. Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough. I don't even REALLY have the money yet, just know I can come up with it if I found a good deal.

Then there is a jacket and helmet and gloves, and the MSF course, and the permit course. Hopefully I'll find something like this...

It would match my truck nicely.
                          1996 Saturn SL2 *CUSTOM*

Comment

Working...
                          X