X

a bunch of questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a bunch of questions

i just got a bike a week ago with 13500 miles on it. i already posted one question but didnt really get an answer cause of the lack of info on my part but here i go again.

1. my bike seems to flood it self i thought at first that it would only do it when i would go up to about 80 or 90 mph but realized that it isnt the speed that makes it die but more where the rpms where. i took it up to 60 today shifting at about 10,000 rpms and then rode about 30 seconds to my house afterwards put it in neutral to coast up the driveway and the rpms dropped hesitated at about 1000 rpms for about half a sec then dies. i started it back up gave it some gas let the rpms drop and it dies. i then started it up with the choke on and i could get it to stay on that way but when i turned it off it would die. so i backed it out turned the choke off started it up giving it a bit of throttle and took it around the block riding it nicely. took it back in the driveway put it in neutral and it was fine.
    it has been jetted (i dont know what that means) but someone told me it could be the tuning is off on the jetting but i didnt want to get the jetting tuned if it just needs a regular tune up ( or are they the same?)
    2. it idles at about 1300 rpms but when i give it gas it will idle at about 2500rpms for a minute or two then drop back down, that was when it had just warmed up, but i rode it on the highway for about 40minutes till i hit a traffic jam and came to a dead stop then it was idleing at 2500 and wouldnt drop.
    3. im not 100% sure but i think im getting about the same gas mileage as my car. i filled it up and rode it about 90 miles and the needle was just a hair above the red. i was going to fill it up and then see how much gas i used to find out how many MPG im getting but unfortunately i wanted to change the fuel filter this weekend and didnt want to put alot of gas in it so i can get the fuel tank off. which leads me to my next question
    4. where is a good site/place to buy that stuff, fuel air and oil filters? i check autozone and oreilly for an oil filter and they had nothing so im assuming the wouldnt have fuel or air filters. also i know the tank is 4.8 gallons does that include the reserve making the main take a 3.7?

i know its kinda a long post but thanks for your time and all/any help
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

you can most likely get all the tune up parts at walmart. but what year is your bike and size all that good stuff.
    02' Katana 600
    D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Main tank: 3.9 (California Models), 4.1 (49-state models)
      Reserve: 1 gallon
      Gauge accuracy varies from bike to bike -- some hit reserve at the start of red, others at the end of red, most somewhere in between.

Maint Supplies:

Failure for idle to drop:
      My best guess, clogged fuel passages. Run Techron through with the next gas tank as the first part of the treatment (1/3rd bottle into tank, then fill up to full with high-detergent, low-octane fuel).
      Could also be: Misrouted or too tight throttle cable(s), minor vacuum leak, badly mis-set idle (should be about 1250 with the engine warm for a 98+ ).

What kind of air filter is in/on the bike?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

its a 99 katana 600, how hard is it to tune? and what do i need to get? im not sure the kind of air filter cause i havnt gotten the tank off yet. i know how to tell what octane im putting in but how do i know if its high detergent?
        99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
        06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
        06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
        lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
          im not sure the kind of air filter cause i havnt gotten the tank off yet. i know how to tell what octane im putting in but how do i know if its high detergent?
          No need to remove the tank -- just remove the seat & look forward under the tank. You'll need to remove a cross-brace to get at it... once the brace is out of the way, 4 phillips screws and the air filter pulls out.

High detergent fuels will generally be sold under Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Mobil brand names (who have a vested interest in differentiating their fuel from mom-n-pop gas stations). They generally won't be no-name brand gasoline nor some brand that is unique to your local area.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X