X

Rookie question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie question.

Well my signal generator cover came in today. So I put that on. Went to wal mart got some oil. Put roughly 4 quarts. Looked at the little oil screen but there was nothing in it. Asked on the chat what to do. Was told to start it up and wait a bit. So I go and try to start it up but it just turns over and over and over...I took it as a dead battery. When it is off but with the headlight on and all the lights on the little oil sign turns on as well. Once I start to crank it it turns off. Is this normal? I really dont want to blow the engine because of such a foolish thing...

Hope that made sense if you need any more info please let me know.

When you're looking at the oil window, is the bike on the side stand? That will give you a false reading.

The manual says to check the oil level with the bike upright and on level ground after running the engine to operating temperature and then letting it sit for one minute. I would do this on the center stand. Don't give yourself a hernia, and look up how-to videos on youtube if you aren't familiar with center stands. We all own such heavy bikes!

Back to oil here... I'm quoting from the manual here: "If the level is below the Low mark, remove the oil filler cap from the right crankcase cover and add enough oil of the recomended grade and type to bring the level up to the F mark. Do not overfill." Section 0-11, below picture of step 2.

That little red light on your gauge cluster lets you know that the oil pressure is below acceptable limits.

Of course, when you're engine's off, you have no oil pressure, so the light is lit up. Everybody's light does this. After cranking (or running) the pressure builds up and the light turns itself off.

I would suggest looking at the manual and making sure you did the oil change correctly. Also, do a search here. Everyone has a little to say about how to do a good oil change.

Below is some of my advice for fixing that no-start problem, but keep in mind that I have a pre-98 Katana, and yours might be different.

If the engine turns over, but won't start up, you should check here first:

-the side stand. The bike won't start with it down. There is a switch by the foot peg that will keep the engine dead.

-the kill switch on the right handlebar. Yes, even veterans forget it's there.

-The clutch switch. It's located right near your clutch lever with two wires coming out of it with L-shaped connectors. They could be dirty, or in your case scraped off in a little crash.

-Spark plugs. Make sure they're all clean, within specs, and plugged up in the right order.

-Neutral. Some bikes won't start unless they're in neutral. Verify with the light on your dash and even by rolling the bike or spinning the tire while it's on the center stand.

By the way, nice bike! Good luck. You'll have it cruising down the street in a few days with all the help you'll get here!
    Last edited by cale; 05-11-2008, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Alright thanks for the input. It was sitting on the center stand. I will check the other things such as the switches tomorrow.

I did everything correctly. I was just worried about starting it up with the oil screen totally empty like that. I guess once it runs a bit everything will balance out. Also when I start cranking the oil light turns of so thats a good sign.

Comment

If you were parked on level ground and not seeing any oil in the window at 4 quarts (not even a little at the bottom), I'd suspect you forgot to put the drain plug back in... It'll hold 5 all-together, but normally 1/2 liter to 1 liter will never drain out, so 4 should get it above low measured with the engine off.

Q: Why did you need a new signal cover? You might also have damaged the wires underneath it that control the spark plug timing.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

No nothing drained out. Everything is still in. I will have to check it again when I get home today.

Comment

Well I got home and tried to start it up but nothing. The oil window is still empty. When I was cranking I heard a loud POP. Anyway the red switch is on go. It is set to run.

The crash happened on the right side. Where is this clutch switch and what do I do with it?

Comment

did you level the bike out like not leaning in on the kick stand? cause 4 quarts it should be almost full?

Comment

Yeah its out in the garage sitting on the center stand. Does it not start on the center stand?

Comment

It turns but didn't start?

Did you try moving the choke lever back and forth a bit? Did you prime the carbs (30 seconds)?
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah it started up and everything seemed to work. No oil lights came on so I take it that it will be fine. I will check the oil slot when I go back into the garage later today.

Comment

Working...
                    X