X

Broke down today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke down today

So i went out for a ride today on my 94 kat 750, was riding for about 45 min on the parkway going about 85 and all of a sudden i felt like i was losing power so i gave more throttle an nothing. Ended up pulling over an stalled, bike wouldn't start. Waited around made some phone calls, and tried to start her again an got her going. Rode for about 5 mi and same thing happened again, did that 2 times an then she wouldn't start at all. Got her towed home $170 and got her started only with full choke. Anybody have any ideas? Full filters? maybe water in the tank although I've been on the same tank for 130 mi. Any one ever have a similar problem?

nice thing about the carburated bikes is you only need to worry about 2 things. Spark and Fuel.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me
    ~Austin
    2006 Katana 600 - Sold
    2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

Comment

if it ran with the choke its your carbs.

oh and wtf 170 bucks??? you dont have a single friend with a truck???

Comment

maybe a long shot. But last year, my bike kept stalling on me. Would start fine, then going down the freeway it would lose power, sputter a little, but eventually die. Couldn't start for a while, then all of a sudden fire back up and would be running fine for a little then die again. It happened off and on and made me not want to ride it for fear of getting stuck.

Had all types of things done. Carbs, fuel line, cleaned tank, etc. Finally came down to the petcock. Replaced that and it has been running fine for the last year. I commute daily with it.

Point is, try the small, low cost things first.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by katana_ron View Post
          maybe a long shot. But last year, my bike kept stalling on me. Would start fine, then going down the freeway it would lose power, sputter a little, but eventually die. Couldn't start for a while, then all of a sudden fire back up and would be running fine for a little then die again. It happened off and on and made me not want to ride it for fear of getting stuck.

Had all types of things done. Carbs, fuel line, cleaned tank, etc. Finally came down to the petcock. Replaced that and it has been running fine for the last year. I commute daily with it.

Point is, try the small, low cost things first.

Good luck.

I changed the tank last year because it was rotten out due to sitting in the previous owners garage for years. Maybe when i put it back on i did a bad job. Tomorrow Im gonna mess around with it. Thanks

Comment

I had the same problem with my bike... exact same thing happened.. changed the fuel filter and it started fine.. but still had issued running.. My problem was i had installed an aftermarket exhaust and the carbs hadnt been touched probably since the bike was new.. so they re-jetted the bike at the shop now it runs like a champ
            sigpic"No good decision was ever made from a swivel chair." General George S. Patton

U.S. ARMY

Comment

I would try a fuel filter first then start looking at carbs
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

simple enough to make sure the petcock is playing nicely. same tank of gas for 130 miles???? you may not have enough gas inna tank to run off the "ON" setting?? will it run off of reserve or prime? 40mpg, 3 useable gallons on ON, do the math
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                  oh and wtf 170 bucks??? you dont have a single friend with a truck???
                  +1

AAA Gold Plan that includes motorcycles is only $132 a year. And that includes at least three tows.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

welll i'll throw something out there....the EXACT situation happened to me..exactly..what was it? valves needed adjusting...no compression on 3 out of 4 cylinders. it was losing compression through the intake. it felt like bad gas and everything. would start and run fine for little while, then wont work unless choke is on, even then with sluggish performance

Comment

EXACTLY
                      I was gonna say that there are 3 things too worry about:
                      spark
                      fuel
                      timing for compression

Originally posted by Shampue View Post
                      nice thing about the carburated bikes is you only need to worry about 2 things. Spark and Fuel.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me
                      thats not just carb engines, thats EVERY engine, EVER
                      Last edited by arsenic; 05-03-2008, 02:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

thats not just carb engines, thats EVERY engine, EVER
                        nope.:mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                        X