No announcement yet.
X

What's the point of the parking light?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the point of the parking light?

I was going to post this in another thread, but it got closed. Why is there one position past Lock on the steering column to turn the parking light on? When I bought the bike the owner told me to watch out for it, so at least I never killed my battery that way.

well my PO never told me that!... i think its there just so i have to buy a new batery...
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

it is there so people can see your bike if it is parked in a dark area, unless you like picking it up after someone has backed into, or over it.
      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Officialy it's there if you want your bike to be seen when you are parked. Or on the side of the road at night.

I just think it's there to kill my battery.
        Last edited by plupien79; 05-02-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plupien79 View Post
          Officialy it's a parking light.

I just think it's there to kill my battery.
          ^
          This

Stupid parking light
          ~Austin
          2006 Katana 600 - Sold
          2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

Comment

So the idea is you park the bike, turn on the light, and walk away? for how long is it supposed to work? I think this is a very bad idea, as everyone knows it as the battery killer rather than the light that makes your parked bike not get hit.

What about doing a mod where turning the key to the parking light position would activate some LEDs in the rear instead? they'd drain the battery way less and still give you visibility.

Comment

Does anyone else have issues getting your key in the parking position? My ignition will not physically turn past lock.
              1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

no issues here, thats why its such a *****. It usually just turns right into the parking light position. I did it so frequently when I first got my Kat that its habit to always double check if the light is on in front now.
                ~Austin
                2006 Katana 600 - Sold
                2008 CBR600RR - New Toy

Comment

If you had LED tail lights, LED 3rd eye and LED dash lights it'd be fine for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
                    Does anyone else have issues getting your key in the parking position? My ignition will not physically turn past lock.
                    got to push the key down. sorry i take that back, you already have it in the lock position, as for the parking never used it.

I have heard members that go to leds can let it run for a significant amount of time before any real battery drain.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Here's an idea...always turn it all the way to the end (Park) and then come back one click (Lock).

Problem solved.
                      I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

You need to push the key down to get it into the lock position. Once in that position you release the key (Do not push) and turn to the parking position. They make it like this so you cant go from on to the parking position in one turn.

Also, I thought I read somewhere (owners manual possibly) that this was to be used when you are broken down on the side of the highway, or road??
                        Check out me site and let me know what you think. Its a work in progress.

Comment

You would probably only use it if you had to stop on the side of the road at night and wanted or needed to turn the engine off for some reason. For example to fix a flat tire.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

A healthy battery should be able to power those two running lights for at least 5 hours.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

on my fighter my parking lights are leds, ain't gonna hurt my battery :mrgreen:
                              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
                              X