X

Ok last word on ignition advancers & Canadian bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok last word on ignition advancers & Canadian bikes

Does anybody have them on their Canadian model Katana and if so what was the outcome of the performance for you?

i.e did it run better? worse? had to adjust carbs or anything?

Thanks

Originally posted by Cat 4 Life View Post
    Does anybody have them on their Canadian model Katana and if so what was the outcome of the performance for you?

i.e did it run better? worse? had to adjust carbs or anything?

Thanks
    CAN bikes are already advanced 5* from the factory. You dont need an aftermarket one.

Comment

yes

Comment

arsenic- "yes" meaning they are advanced from the factory?
        why would they be different from USA models?

Comment

Originally posted by Macodad View Post
          why would they be different from USA models?
          Because the US has to comply with a different set of pollution control standards than any other country the Kat is sold in, with the exception of Austria and Switzerland (the only other countries that get the 4 degree advance instead of the 9 degree advance).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So I have a USA one.....I want an ig advancer......what should I get? I never heard of them before, and it sounds like something I need (want)! Are there different brands/types?
            2005 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Brosh187 View Post
              So I have a USA one.....I want an ig advancer......what should I get? I never heard of them before, and it sounds like something I need (want)! Are there different brands/types?
              Suggest you read this: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77117

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does this mean that I can sell the one that came on my bike, as a 5 degree advancer, and buy raised 99 katana emblems for my bike......???

I hope the answer is yes my wife clipped my financial wings and said no more toys for me until she gets another horse..
                Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
                http://www.burley1.ca

Comment

Originally posted by ontariokatana View Post
                  Does this mean that I can sell the one that came on my bike, as a 5 degree advancer, and buy raised 99 katana emblems for my bike......???
                  Sorry, the canadian advance is somewhere else (either in the pick-up plate that holds the hall sensor, the position of the hall sensor itself on that plate, or in the CDI -- I suspect it's in the hole position in the pick-up plate).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so this begs the question what did the shop i just got my bike from do when i asked them to put in the 5*advancer? they took something off that looks like the pic on the advancer instructions.

Comment

Perhaps I misunderstood.

The stock OEM advancer is the same between Canada and the USA -- the difference in the advance has to be someone else in the system, if Suzuki's own documentation about the bikes is correct (specifically: that the Canadian bikes are advanced to 9 degrees BTDC from the factory).

If you put an aftermarket advancer in (such as the one I sell which advances the engine an additional 5 degrees BTDC), then you still advanced the engine -- just from a different starting point than the US models.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

laymans terms Marc. what do you think about its effect on performance? will it still have the same effect as it would on an american bike? will it make a difference at all?
                        at the end of the day the advancer wasnt expensive (thanks CP).

Comment

Since I don't have a Canadian bike, I'm really not in a position to evaluate it before & after fairly -- that something you Canadians need to do and come to some conclusion...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think I said it in another thread a while ago but my personal 'butt dyno' seemed to notice a difference for the better when I installed the advancer on my Canadian Kat ('06 600). I gave my OEM part to CP for comparison so I can't readily swap the OEM and Factory Pro part back to back to really test it. Anyone else still have both so that they can run their own 'butt dyno' test?
                            I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

well.... in the brief few minutes i've been on it it seemed a lot "snappier", i noticed more pull when twisting the throttle. but... i also put in a jet kit which is also gonna make a difference. hopefully i can shake this flu and we will get some sunny days so i can make a more accurate assessment.

Comment

Working...
                              X