X

2000 Kat with Vibrations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Kat with Vibrations

Obviously I have a 2000 Katana, and I get some noticeable vibrations in between 4k and 7k rpms after that it smooths out. It is an RPM thing though not a speed thing, cause wether I am doing 30 or 100 mph I notice it. First off I was wondering if this is normal. I have only had the bike for a month or so, but have already put about 6 or 700 miles and the bike has a total of 8500 miles on it. Also I was wondering if this is normal what I can do to reduce it, I have been told a jet kit will help and Ivans has the best. I would really appreciate some input thanks guys.
    The Man

vales adjustment is in order, 600 or 750, I have a brand new Ivan's 600 kit for sale?

Comment

Valve adjustment huh? How much does a shop charge to do it, or is it easy enough to do when I have the carbs off for a cleaning and a jet kit when I get one? Oh yeah and its a 600.
      The Man

Comment

lohn, a valve adjustment and carb sync are definitely in order. If the valve adjustment was done when it was supposed to be (between 7k and 7500 miles), then it probably just needs the carb sync done.
        Typical symptom that a bike really NEEDS a carb sync: the tach needle isn't rock-solid at idle, but instead bounces up & down 25 RPM more more...
        If it's been parked all winter, dried up fuel in some of the smaller passages could also play into this whole thing -- use a fuel-system cleaner in your next tank of gas (Techron fuel system cleaner is what I recommend specifically for dried fuel residues).

Arsenic, you don't have an Ivan's kit for sale (I bought it last night, remember? Check your paypal...)

Originally posted by lohn View Post
        Valve adjustment huh? How much does a shop charge to do it, or is it easy enough to do when I have the carbs off for a cleaning and a jet kit when I get one? Oh yeah and its a 600.
        Shop normally gets around $320 for a 7500 mile service.
        If you had to buy every single tool you could possibly need (sockets, wrenches, allen-keys, torque wrench, carb sync tool) plus all the supplies (oil, filter), it'd be about $300 too, but next time it wouldn't cost you anything.

As for the how-to, you can find it on my website with pics:
        motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-20-2008, 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Like I said I have had the bike for about a month and a half tops, I really doubt the last guy had the valves adjusted.
          The Man

Comment

sorry Marc, I didn't get an email, I didn't know you had paid, he's right, I don't have an Ivan's kit for sale.

Comment

Well, if you take it to a shop, you should ask for the "7500 mile service" by that exact name (or 7k service in some manuals). By doing so, they will look up 7500 mile service in the time-manual and give you the price I quoted you to do everything that's needed.
              On the other hand, if you go in and give them a list of things to do that are in the 7500 mile service, but don't list the service by name, a less than up-n-up service writer will look up each item separately and come up with a $550 bill. Why the difference? Because the 7500 mile service figures the mechanic only has to take off the fairings *once* to get at everything; the item-by-item bill includes taking the fairings off for each time he needs to get at something under the fairings.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will look into my local shops and see how they fair on the price thanks for all the helpful info.
                The Man

Comment

Working...
                X