No announcement yet.
X

05 Katana 600 VS 05 YZF 600 R

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still say for only $200 more MSRP, I'd get the new ZZR over the YZF. It's more modern, has about 10hp more, and weighs less than 400lbs dry. That's all I'm saying...

Batteries are probably compeable maintenance-wise if that's of concern
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
      Hey Blacksheep, you still there?
      Oh yea I'm here just loving every minute of this debate, I am glad so many people wanted to coment.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep
        Oh yea I'm here just loving every minute of this debate, I am glad so many people wanted to coment.
        So, did we satisfy you desire for comments completely? Anything else we can compare between the two bikes for you?
        -Steve

Comment

I bet the Katana tastes better, but I bet the Yami smells sweeter...

Comment

i think the YZF is better all around. i rode both and my opinion is that they're both comfy but the kat wins in that department. the yzf has alot more power but still forgiving. it looks better aesthetically(to MOST people) plus, if you're going to trade it in later on, it has a higher resale. if you're going to do alot of touring, get the kat. if not, get the YZF.

Hello World.

Comment

Cyber, thanks for the education about battery tenders. My new pocket bike that was delivered today has a round plug near the front fork with a rubber cap over it which is for recharging the battery. The pocket bike came with the charger too. How coincidential, I'll get a demonstration of how handy they are.

See fellow Katrider members, there are always unexpected incidentials that one has to buy. That's why it pays to not stretch yourself on the initial vehicle purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                ...there are always unexpected incidentials that one has to buy. That's why it pays to not stretch yourself on the initial vehicle purchase.
                Like gasoline... get rid of the car, ride the bike all the time and you won't need the trickle charger -- plus the cost per mile should be a huge savings in the bigger picture between payments, depreciation, fuel and maint

Oh, yeah, you'd have to move south first

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ZZR's got 6-piston calipers and a 180 rear tire... 8) Only $200 more...
                  '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    ... get rid of the car, ride the bike all the time and you won't need the trickle charger --
                    As you might have expected, I got stabilizer in my car's gas tank too. That's whats cheezing me off. You see, I am sort of retired due to job loss in a corporate merger and age discrimination and I was just ready to quit working anyway. I wanted to spend with the things that I love and which are important to me (cycles, ATV, snowmobile, etc.). Not necessarily riding them so much, as just having them.

I don't drive my car very much in the winter due to salty roads. I take it up to the end of my driveway and back a half dozen times every month just to warm it up, etc. And there's never a battery problem. The battery always spins that Chevy Cavalier 4 cylinder like the car had been thououghly run just yesterday.

Now if the Katana battery is going to have to live on life support all the time, I think something is wrong. Suzuki ought to make room for a Sears DieHard under the seat.

About living where I live, there are not a lot of people here, and not a lot of things to drive to anyway.

Comment

SlipKid, I agree the ZZR is very impressive. If the bike is essentially the old ZX-6R, then here are the aforementioned stats from 2002 on that bike: 0-60 in 3.03 sec., 0-100 mph in 6.79 sec., quarter mile in 10.69 [email protected] mph. Top speed 154.

Comments from that same source: "An excellent all around performer, the ZX-6R has the best motor in its class, comfortable ergonomics and a great sound. Needs better rebound damping in the rear."

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                        Originally posted by blacksheep
                        So, did we satisfy you desire for comments completely? Anything else we can compare between the two bikes for you?
                        Actually does anyone know if the Yamaha has a gas gage?

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                          Now if the Katana battery is going to have to live on life support all the time, I think something is wrong. Suzuki ought to make room for a Sears DieHard under the seat.
                          You're talking about a serious difference in sizes. Typical car battery has 90 to 200 amp-hour capacity with 400 - 450 CCA's. Bike battery is 1/4 of the size (or smaller), with 12 amp-hour and 130 CCA's. For it's size and capacity, it has to spin a whole lot of metal up to speed -- a very taxing job for a borderline battery. You could always just yank the battery out and store it when not in use -- it won't discharge very fast in storage. But mostly, me thinks it sounds like you're whining... Would you really want another 25lbs of wet-weight on your bike to have a battery twice as big?

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[/quote]
                            Actually does anyone know if the Yamaha has a gas gage?[/quote]

This article from 1997 shows that the Kat did have a fuel gage, but the FZR (similiar to the YZF) didn't.

I'd only be guessing if I said I don't think Yamaha has added a fourth gage to its YZF instrument panel. Polaris snowmobiles and ATV have a mechanical fuel gage built into the gas cap. Its a long straight tube on the bottom side of the gas cap, which extents to near the bottom of the tank.

I don't know if any bikes have this type of gage. It would work, but you have to have a regular place where you put the cap/gage when you are refueling. You don't want to get that tube dirty.

Comment

Eh, even if it doesn't have a gas gauge, it's REALLY not that big a deal. I used to think that not having a gas gauge was stupid. Then I realized that I get consistent milage from a tank. All it takes if figuring out approximately how many miles you can go until the low fuel light comes on. Then, just watch your odometer. Or, just ride until the fuel light does come on. Then, stop for gas...
                              -Steve

Comment

You mean there are people out there who base a bike purchase on whether it has a fuel gauge or not? Amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X