Oil cooling question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
    Cyber, have you heard of heat tubes?
    Yeah, we talked about that previously... We talked about how on a Kat engine, it would make more sense to make a total-loss system with a couple gallons in it (instead of trying to have enough pipe to let it re-condense -- my suggestion).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by zvisus View Post

I'd also be a little worried about exposing a part of the metal pan to a significantly cold temperature. I'm not a materials engineer or anything, but wouldnt the fluctuations in hot/cold areas warp and maybe even break the oil pan?

Its ok, I am

The temperature gradient wthin the metal would be non fluctuating at steady state, metals just dont like shocks (in regards to anything) but steady state temperature gradients wouldnt have any dire consequences, otherwise, things like intercoolers would snap in half
      2002 GSX-R750
      2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        it would make more sense to make a total-loss system with a couple gallons in it (instead of trying to have enough pipe to let it re-condense -- my suggestion).
        Thats right!

Originally posted by Jabara57 View Post

The temperature gradient wthin the metal would be non fluctuating at steady state, metals just dont like shocks (in regards to anything) but steady state temperature gradients wouldnt have any dire consequences, otherwise, things like intercoolers would snap in half
        That too is right!

Everyone is right!!

Comment

Here's the mod I did to wire two Spal fans to the oil cooler, http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72162

Last year was a relatively mild summer here so the results are not fully know if it works or not. Maybe by the end of this summer I'll know more.

Now that there's a section for wiring and electrics, it could probably moved over there.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks squiggy.... everything been good for you?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post

Now that there's a section for wiring and electrics, it could probably moved over there.
              So let it be written...

Comment

great idea Squiggy
                So, how did it work? keep the oil temp down?

Comment

I think we were talking about how a behind the cooler setup would be better than an infront system. Behind wouldn't block the air flow.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    Thanks squiggy.... everything been good for you?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    you mean life in general or the the oil cooler mod?

Both are fine. As well as my looks.

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                    great idea Squiggy
                    So, how did it work? keep the oil temp down?
                    Nothing conclusively yet. I have Cyber's oil temp gauge so I'll be able to monitor the temps this summer with and without the fans running.

Last year I noticed when I ran the fans, there is quite a bit of heat being pushed away from the cylinder head area out the fairing vents and a little bit onto my legs. More on the left side than the right. I think it's doing good to both pull air into the cooler and push heat away from the engine head, but that's just my subjective opinion.

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    I think we were talking about how a behind the cooler setup would be better than an infront system. Behind wouldn't block the air flow.
                    If you ment me, my oil cooler fans are mounted behind the cooler. My R&D Kawasaki fan was mounted in front, but the Spals are mounted behind.
                    Last edited by squiggy; 04-10-2008, 09:44 PM.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

The suzuki manual calls for a CR10EK in high heat/ extended high speed or overheating conditions

CR8EK for colder weather or when plugs are wet in apperance or dark in color
                      CR9EK is standard
                      CR10EK if the standard plug is glazed or apperaing white or for extended high speed operation

Iridium plugs are more efficient at exchanging heat the standard copper core plugs. From what i have heard the Iriduim CR9EIA-9 replaces the standard CR10EK

Cooler plugs pull the combustion temps away from the combustion chamber reducing hot spots and lowering over all combustion chamber temps. this heat is transfered to the aluminum head where it will be cooled by the air moving over the cooling fins. With cooler CHT's the head and oil will also be cooler NOT hotter. A simple CHT guage will show this .

Also with EGT I've seen as much as 30 degree temp change by switch to synthetics.

You not likely ever going to lower peak oil temps, after all it has a lot of engine parts adding heat all the time. But you can do a lot to reduce combustion temps and cylinder/cylinderhead temps.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                      X