Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your thoughs... first bike.

mispelled the title.. sorry.

hello.
    i'm looking to buy my first bike and my local dealer has a 93 katana 600 with 15,000 miles on it.

would this be an ok first bike?
    i have experiance on dirtbikes and quads, so i'm not a total newb.

Also they are asking 1999.99 for it. from the pictures i have seen it seems to be in very good condition... will go see in person in a few days. is that a good price?

Any problems that i should know about with these bikes?
    Last edited by spartan985; 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM.

Bike good; especially for someone of your prior experience... make sure it's what you're looking for, though. It's a heavier steel framed, sport-tourer bike, not a SS crotch rocket.

Price, though... a bit high. A buddy just picked up a 96 Kat 600 around the corner from me, bone stock except for the exhaust and in exceptional condition - paid $1,800. I'm a cheap bastage and would have probably offered less. A 93 Kat 600 - I'd say no more than $1,600.

Only rear problems are that the carbs get dirty pretty frequently - put a set of inline filters in and you'll be okay. AND, if it's been beat on, could have 2nd gear slippage issues... otherwise, the motor is bullet proof.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Jim pretty much summed it up.

If you are okay with the drawbacks as a starter bike... you'll probably grow into the kat without a problem.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67 View Post
        Bike good; especially for someone of your prior experience... make sure it's what you're looking for, though. It's a heavier steel framed, sport-tourer bike, not a SS crotch rocket.

Price, though... a bit high. A buddy just picked up a 96 Kat 600 around the corner from me, bone stock except for the exhaust and in exceptional condition - paid $1,800. I'm a cheap bastage and would have probably offered less. A 93 Kat 600 - I'd say no more than $1,600.

Only rear problems are that the carbs get dirty pretty frequently - put a set of inline filters in and you'll be okay. AND, if it's been beat on, could have 2nd gear slippage issues... otherwise, the motor is bullet proof.
        I'm on board with that. It's a good bike to get used to riding on the street. I'd say that the dealer will probably go 1700-1800 on the price. Check it out.
        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I agree, try to get the price down alittle more and you are in.
          American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

yeah I agree that price is too much a couple more dollars and you can get a 98+
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by JBLUE View Post
              yeah I agree that price is too much a couple more dollars and you can get a 98+
              why?

I do agree though, you'll get the price knocked down a bit, but if it is in great shape you'll still get a great bike at a great price.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

New bike

Before you go to look at it stop at you bank get twenty (20) hundred dollar bills. Put five(5) in your pocket. The other fifteen (15) in you wallet. If you like it start pealing off the hundreds Money talks!!! tell them that all the money you have Deal or no deal! Good Luck! Let us know how you did.

Comment

I agree that the price is too high as well. I bought my '93 last year for $1100.00

Don't forget to take the MSF course before doing any serious riding. Riding a dirtbike or a quad and riding a street bike are totally different, IMHO.
                  -
                  -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Well it depends on the condition of the bike...KBB is $2,300.00 I paid $2,200 for my bike but also they included new front and rear tires, New chain and sprocket, new front & rear brakes, D&D exhaust, custom paint and a great motor/trans..Plus some other random stuff...Now if needs work done just deduct $$$ whatever problem it has to get it fixed...
                    1993 Suzuki Katana, 2004 Nissan 350Z

Comment

I'd say the price is just a tad too high. I got my '00 for 1200, and she's in great condition. Though I did buy it from a honda dealer...

I'd make a list of things to look for on the bike, go in and run through that list. If everything clears and it seems to be in great shape, it's still a good price for a working bike.

Comment

The price is too high. The Kat would be a good starter bike for you
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                          why?
                          Resale reasons, and that would be it.
                          Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                          '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                          '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                          '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                          I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
                            Resale reasons, and that would be it.
                            ahh gotcha. If your contemplating resale reasons though an 88+ Kat probably isn't the best bet. They don't seem to do well on the used market.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

nice 1st bike, talk him down on the price as has been stated several time already

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X