Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

What does Harley need to do to get YOU to buy one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive seen a bunch of Choppers around here, but maybe thats because we have a lot of custom bike builders in the area. Im within a few hours of some of the bigger builders including OCC and others. There is a Perowitz dealer 5 minutes from my house.
    Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
      Ive seen a bunch of Choppers around here, but maybe thats because we have a lot of custom bike builders in the area. Im within a few hours of some of the bigger builders including OCC and others. There is a Perowitz dealer 5 minutes from my house.
      So who is riding those choppers? Older riders mostly? People of any age who can afford them? When I watch those chopper builder shows on TV, those guys ride without helmets, jackets, gloves, or tall boots (Paul Senior riding in the Dakotas). They must know that they ride within limits and are not going down. They are probably right. Paul Senior has been riding for a long time.

I like the show "American Chopper" because of the view it gives of work place relationships. At first it seemed like Senior was always picking on Junior and giving Mikey a free ride, and Junior is the talented one. I wondered why Junior didn't quite working for his father and start his own shop. I guess the shop is a huge investment. And Senior is now getting a little more mellow and even handed in the treatment of his sons.

Comment

If I were to guess at HD's long-term future, I'd say there are probably enough people who like the unique thump thump of the v-twins, and the legandary cruiser, chopper mystique that HD will be producing bikes of this nature, and engines for the speciality shops, for a long time. Lower production volumes and high or higher prices I am sure. But HD will continue in some form for a long long time.
        yeah, as long as they're are harley guys and gals who ride, there will be brainwashing enough going on , to keep HD going for a long long time.

Comment

If buell realized that over-head cams work better and got rid of the push rods and rocker arms, oh yeah, and stopped sucking I'd think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
            Originally posted by KatanaO215
            So who is riding those choppers? Older riders mostly? People of any age who can afford them? When I watch those chopper builder shows on TV, those guys ride without helmets, jackets, gloves, or tall boots (Paul Senior riding in the Dakotas). They must know that they ride within limits and are not going down. They are probably right. Paul Senior has been riding for a long time.

I like the show "American Chopper" because of the view it gives of work place relationships. At first it seemed like Senior was always picking on Junior and giving Mikey a free ride, and Junior is the talented one. I wondered why Junior didn't quite working for his father and start his own shop. I guess the shop is a huge investment. And Senior is now getting a little more mellow and even handed in the treatment of his sons.
            Id say the riders were mostly late 40's to mid 50's.

As far as senior getting mellow, I guess you didnt see the recent Gillete bike episode. We went nuts on Junion and Vinnie

Comment

Lower the price.
              Besides my Kat, I got a Honda 750 Spirit that I've been customising/riding for a few years now. Wouldn't trade it for a Hardley. When ever some goober asks me "Is that a Harley?" my stock response is: "I sure hope not...I paid for a Honda."
              Anyway, My problem is this: My local Suzuki Dealer (Whitts Suzuki in Manassas, VA) also owns Whitts Harley Davidson in Manassas, Va.
              It USED to be a great Suzuki Dealer (As dealers go..) But guess what?!?! They got rid of their service department and now have all the bikes (Suzuki, etc.) Serviced at the Hardley place. Seriosly! If you drop of your 'Zook, they ride it across town to the HD dealer! Blew my mind. I found out because i wanted them to mount a new tire on a rim I brought in from my Katana. They let it slip that they would have to drive the rim over to the Harley Dealer!
              I was like: "Ummm..that's okay." Went to a honda dealer down the street, put the tire on the rim for thirty bucks in fifteen minutes.
              Frickin' Whitts Suzuki!! I'll be Damned if I'm letting a Harley Stealership screw with my katana.

Comment

Harley sells the entire image of Harley. Bad boys on bad bikes, complete with blue jeans, black t-shirt, and leather jacket.

I told had a conversation that went similar to this with a young lady my age. (23)

Her: "You ride a bike?"

Me: "Yeah, a Suzuki Katana 750."

Her: "A rice rocket huh. Those are pussy bikes. Real men ride Harley's."

Me: "Well i cant afford one, and besides i like the Katana, it is so much faster than that Harley."

This is pretty much when the conversation was over. She of course never rode a bike but she did ride men, and knew that only sissy's rode on anything other than a Harley.

As long as Harley has that image in the public expect them to keep selling for a long time.
                Still putting everything back together.

Comment

Bingo ! Had the exact same conversation with a few different women , except mine pretty much ended with me calling them stupid or something ...
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by jbirdy
                    Lower the price.
                    When ever some goober asks me "Is that a Harley?" my stock response is: "I sure hope not...I paid for a Honda."
                    The other day a work a co-worker who knows NOTHING about motorcycles, and has never ridden one, called my VMAX a wannabe Harley.

I nearly flipped out on the kid. It couldnt be any further away from a Harley. But anything that remotely looks like a cruiser is a Harley or a wannabe in most peoples eyes

Comment

all they have to do is wait for me to retire, I think I will get a big fat one, when I am 50
                      Big Cory
                      SBFMC 707
                      2005 Hayabusa

Comment

As you know, I am a HD tech and if you don't already know this then you haven't been on the boards long enough

This is my honest opinion, I like the new V-Rod SS and if HD-buell division builds a XB12 Revolution powered bike, that would be thee machine to have. Think about it, a 118 HP, 94 FT LBs. of torque on a simi sport bike!! Vrooooom Vrooom
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                          This is my honest opinion... if HD-buell division builds a XB12 Revolution powered bike... Think about it, a 118 HP, 94 FT LBs. of torque on a simi sport bike!! Vrooooom Vrooom
                          They have brainwashed you indeed, my friend!

Laughing
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            This is my honest opinion... if HD-buell division builds a XB12 Revolution powered bike... Think about it, a 118 HP, 94 FT LBs. of torque on a simi sport bike!! Vrooooom Vrooom
                            They have brainwashed you indeed, my friend!

Laughing
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            ROFLMAO
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Bingo ! Had the exact same conversation with a few different women , except mine pretty much ended with me calling them stupid or something ...
                              Well i kept my composure enough to just walk away. Figured calling her stupid really wouldnt accomplish alot.

I really must applaud Harley. They know exactly what their customers want, have exactly the the image they want, and can get whatever price they want.

I just couldnt stand being an engineer for Harley. Their motto is "Make the exact same thing only better." The engine still has to thump and vibrate only this time it cant make your hands go numb.
                              Still putting everything back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronos_Titan
                                Originally posted by md86
                                Well i kept my composure enough to just walk away. Figured calling her stupid really wouldnt accomplish alot.

I really must applaud Harley. They know exactly what their customers want, have exactly the the image they want, and can get whatever price they want.

I just couldnt stand being an engineer for Harley. Their motto is "Make the exact same thing only better." The engine still has to thump and vibrate only this time it cant make your hands go numb.
                                Maybe they know something we don't -- like that particular vibrational frequency corresponds with the sexual stimulation of the mons venus in a majority of women?

Laughing
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X