X

Replacement Headlight Bulbs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Headlight Bulbs...

I realized the last time out on the bike how anemic the stock bulbs are on my 06 Kat. Anybody know a good alternative? I want to see bugs burning and dieing in front of me!
    “What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

There was a post a while ago showing a bulb alternative. I think it was Malloc who posted it but could be wrong. I'll look for it or Maybe someone can link it.

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
    Last edited by Erki; 02-28-2008, 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Don't go any higher than the 55/60 (I think that's what it is, whatever the stock wattage is) in there, unless you replace your wiring and install a relay. Trust me, PO did that, I got the benefit of fixing afterwards.

Oh yeah, Sylvania SilverStars are highly recommended. Riding behind a friend, my low beam washed out his high beam. He waved me forward
      Last edited by GytRDunKat; 02-28-2008, 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I made sure both of my heads were adjusted the same and with stock bulbs I got a wide a long pattern, I'm quite happy as is.
        Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
        '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
        '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
        '11 Kawasaki KLR650
        I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I got these off of Ebay and they work great. They are rated for 55/60 so they won't burn out your wiring harnesses. They were pretty cheap even with the shipping and handling. Definitely a much more intense white light than the stock yellowish bulbs. After I removed the rubber boots they dropped right into the appropriate sockets and connected to the wiring harness. Even though the auction does not state the Katana as a compatible bike as long as they are H4 type and rated for 55/60w they should be fine.

http://tinyurl.com/2vue6k

One more thing. Don't touch the glass part of the bulb when you are installing them. The oil in your fingerprints that makes them die faster. I think it has something to do with uneven heating of the glass. FYI.....
          Last edited by cazait; 02-29-2008, 12:22 AM. Reason: more info.

Comment

H4 sylvania silverstars for pre98 kats, as you can buy them in singles..........atleast what I have seen in stores. and for post98, package of two bulbs. Or even better for sylvania silverstar ultra...but run about $50.

best part of buying silverstars locally......one sylvania is awesome quality, and second warranty, so you can swap them out at the store if they pop.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by cazait View Post
              I got these off of Ebay and they work great. They are rated for 55/60 so they won't burn out your wiring harnesses. They were pretty cheap even with the shipping and handling. Definitely a much more intense white light than the stock yellowish bulbs. After I removed the rubber boots they dropped right into the appropriate sockets and connected to the wiring harness. Even though the auction does not state the Katana as a compatible bike as long as they are H4 type and rated for 55/60w they should be fine.

One more thing. Don't touch the glass part of the bulb when you are installing them. The oil in your fingerprints that makes them die faster. I think it has something to do with uneven heating of the glass. FYI.....

Thanks Caz!
              “What you own is your own kingdom
              What you do is your own glory
              What you love is your own power
              What you live is your own story” -Niel Peart

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                H4 sylvania silverstars for pre98 kats, as you can buy them in singles..........atleast what I have seen in stores. and for post98, package of two bulbs. Or even better for sylvania silverstar ultra...but run about $50.

best part of buying silverstars locally......one sylvania is awesome quality, and second warranty, so you can swap them out at the store if they pop.
                They are good bulbs, they are all over ebay, even the 'Ultras'.

You are right silverstars are not know for there longevity.
                Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Well, I know what my first upgrade will be...

I may even have to get a set of these for the cage.
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the shameless pimping of my own previous thread, but this is an alternative you may want to consider:

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
                    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
                    Originally posted by Nero
                    "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
                    SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                      Don't go any higher than the 55/60 (I think that's what it is, whatever the stock wattage is) in there, unless you replace your wiring and install a relay. Trust me, PO did that, I got the benefit of fixing afterwards.

Oh yeah, Sylvania SilverStars are highly recommended. Riding behind a friend, my low beam washed out his high beam. He waved me forward
                      I second that bulb recommendation...
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

these ones?

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post

are these the right ones for a 96 750?

Comment

Originally posted by mdmaro View Post
                          are these the right ones for a 96 750?

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/s...%20ST,%20%20ST

yes h4 is correct.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

awesome thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cazait View Post

The problem when you get up around the 8500k you are going to be able to see less than if you had a bulb @5000k, The 8500k will look bluer but if you want to see better at night I'd stay below the 6000k bulbs

What is Kelvin (K) ? :
                              Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that colour temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or Hid kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the colour temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a colour temperature of approx 14,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 12,000k, 14000k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual colour output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output.
                              Last edited by katman05; 03-04-2008, 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X