X

Need some info/advice, please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some info/advice, please

I found a bike that I'm probably going to check out in the next few days. Here is a link to it: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/list...ATANA-88877323
    I called about it, and it's a lady that has it; it was her ex-husband's, and she doesn't ride, so she wants it gone. She/they were the second owners, and the bike came from Kansas. She said she hasn't gotten many calls on it, either. Also, she indicated that she set the price high with the intentions of some haggling - the bike was originally listed at $4500, but she basically said she's very open to offers. Long story short, the brakes and tires were changed at the same time, but are not "new"; she said it's been 2.5 years or less...wasn't exactly sure. The bike fell off the center stand so one side probably has some scuffs, but it hasn't been laid down while moving, so there's minimal cosmetic damage. Also, she didn't think that any adjustments were made to the carbs when the K&N was installed - it's my understanding that the mixture screws have to be adjusted. The 7500 mile mark is coming up soon, and it looks like a pretty hefty ordeal from what I have found.

What I'm wondering is:
    What all is involved in the 7500 mile service?
    About how much would a 7500 mile service cost at a dealer?
    About how much would it cost for just the parts if I did the work myself/with help from friends? (I'm quite mechanically inclined, just new to bikes, but not cars)
    If everything is good with the bike, what is a reasonable starting offer?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by OHRoadrunner; 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM.

i think thats a verry good price
    although i woud think of changing the k&N filter not alot of airflow
    thats atleast my experience

if ur going to buy it i suggest you go and try it first and hear it run MAKE SHURE IT WORKS!!!!!!

and just so u know a t a dealer it would be more expensive

Comment

Well my bike an 05 cost me $3k w/ a little under 6k miles. Not typical. The bike you are looking at is a $3000 TOPS bike.

As far as the 7500 mile maint, it's a bunch of small stuff, check chain and other stuff.
      Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
      '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
      '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
      '11 Kawasaki KLR650
      I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

I would ask how long it has been since it was last ridden. I would take the K&N off and go back to stock on the air filter. Search around. Arsenic repeatedly says K&N gives no gain on the Katana and that it actually may cause a loss. If the bike has been sitting more than 3 to 4 months then I would not offer more than about $3000 because you are probably gonna have to get the carbs, petcock, and tank cleaned if it was not winterized before it was put away. Make sure the tires are a matching brand and type. Make sure it has a clear title and is not a salvage or rebuilt title. Be extra careful on this one, the ones that are vague or give little information may have something to hide. All this being said go with your gut feeling. But remember there are others out there if you are patient enough. Hope this helps some.

By the way I paid $2300.00 for my 2001 Katana 600 w/ 15,000 miles. Needed some slight rash repair on left side though.
        Last edited by MECHANICALMASON; 02-22-2008, 11:31 PM.
        Do This to Bike Thieves

Comment

So you know she started it out high.

Tell her you've checked with the dealers about potential service and repairs for sitting so long, couple of them said to look at ... blah blah blah... start the deep dive investigation from your checklist. Then offer her 2K for it.

You could get surprised and she might end up around $2500.

Kansas has decent roads (as opposed to Missouri) so suspension doesn't get beat up too bad if folks don't drive like maniacs, but the weather here can vary heavily. Lots of salt and sand on the road. Make sure there's not corrosion hiding in the deep dark places.

Cyberpoet has a great checklist you should take with you when you go look at it. Take your time when you do, it's the little things that you would normally overlook that can add up to big dollars for repairs.

ND

Comment

3000.00 is good price for the bike not a lot of miles on bike go for it
            sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Fader View Post
              As far as the 7500 mile maint, it's a bunch of small stuff, check chain and other stuff.
              7500 Mile is the major service.
              It's valve adjustment, spark plug replacement, oil & filter change, retorque 29-31 bolts to spec torque (depending on year), plus safety checks (brakes, etc.). Done right, a carb sync should be done after the rest of the work. Most shops get around $310 - $320 for it these days with supplies.

Originally posted by Novelldude View Post
              Cyberpoet has a great checklist you should take with you when you go look at it. Take your time when you do, it's the little things that you would normally overlook that can add up to big dollars for repairs.
              List is here:
              Used Bike Inspection List, extensive, by The CyberPoet (MotorcycleAnchor.com)

What I would specifically be looking for:
              (A) You know the fuel is old; the next question is whether the tank is rusted inside. Fuel needs out, and you need to shine around with a flashlight to see if it's a rust-bucket inside (PIA to deal with -- and since it's not your bike yet... well).
              (B) Them to get it to run. Any bike that hasn't run in 2-1/2 years is apt to have a bunch of rubber parts that need replacing, such as o-rings inside the carbs, the diaphram in the petcock, fork & brake seals.

All that said, the price is way out of line for a bike that hasn't run in 2.5 years, and high for one that is mint & running well. The not-running could also be masking secondary issues (bad 2nd gear) that could leave you financially hit very very hard (with a failed 2nd gear, it's cheaper to replace the engine & tranny combo than rip it apart and fix it properly).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-23-2008, 02:55 AM.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks, guys. I actually forgot to ask when it was last ridden/started. The 2.5 years was referring to when the brakes and tires were replaced, but she said that was the longest it could have been; she wasn't exactly sure. I would imagine it has been ridden more recently than that, although I will find out. She did say the battery is brand new and the bike has been kept in a garage. However, now that I think about it, she did say that the gas is old and that it will probably need some fresh gas, so it probably wasn't winterized. I would likely get rid of the K&N filter. She does have the stock exhaust for it, and possibly the stock fender. I did ask about a test ride (for my uncle, not me just yet, but very soon), and she agreed to that, so hopefully it starts and runs decently, but it will definitely be ridden before any offers are made.

Comment

Price depends on the area too...

Here in VA, there's NO WAY she could get $3500 for an 01 Kat 600, regardless of miles. Heck there is a guy selling a 02 Kat 600 w/ less than 10K and it's got ALOT Of aftermarket stuff and he's been asking $3200 and it's been for sale for at least 3 to 4 months.

The 750's bring a bit more, but I see alot less of 'em anyway.

Now $2500 or doesn't sound bad...

If you have patience, and are willing to let a few go while looking you CAN find a better deal.

I almost bought one last week....but my wife probably woulda killed me (3 bike in the garage LOL) it was a 2002 Kat 600, 3K miles, scuffs on both sides from stand still drops, otherwise VERY nice. Bone stock. It sold for $1900

Comment

If you do test ride and it rides out like it should, but prolly won't and if it dosen't a low 2's offer would be fair.
                    Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                    '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                    '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                    I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Working...
                    X