No announcement yet.
X

Do you ALWAYS wear gear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of us have gone without gear, Corey did admit he doesn't most of the time. I used to ride with just a pair of sunglasses, the way I figured it is, a helmet isn't going to stop you from snaping you neck. Either way you are going to end up parapalegic <spelling>, quadrapalegic or dead. I real have to try to wear my gear on the Kat. I have more than myself to worry about now, I don't want my kids to grow up without a Dad. When it was just me, I said to myself, "WTF if I do have that last wreck, Oh well". I was going to leave this alone with the one post but after reading what some have said basically how STUPID Corey is for not wearing his gear I had to put in a few more words. Don't rip anyone a new butt, EDUCATE! Let me ask everyone, have you ever gone for a quick spin, ride the bike around a parking lot, go from point a to point b a couple blocks away wearing gear or even just from your garage to the end of the driveway? It was proven to me that a person can wreck within 28' of their starting point. I am all for education of why we wear the gear, what a helmet does to keep you alive in an accident, why the riding boots are important.

Don't down Corey or anyone else for not wearing gear, try to give them the knowledge about why gear is the number one part of motorcycling!! If you have always wore gear then you don't understand the feeling of riding without gear.

This is my .02 and I don't want to debate this issue, I just like to see better education on the matter and not a ARSE RIPPING for not wearing the proper protection. We educate kids on "safe sex", lets do that with this.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i havent seen anyone rip corey and call him stupid. And to answer your question, no I havent EVER ridden my bike without a helmet on.

You are right a helmet wont save you from a broken neck, but Im betting head truma is far more popular in bike crashes than broken knecks. And saying that it wont effect me in this small situation seems kinda like a cop out when it will help you, and probably save your life, in just qaobut every other situation
      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I always wear my helmet and gloves, I usually wear my jacket with armor and joe rocket steel jeans. I havent found shoes that I really like yet if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them. And just a side note i really hate KatanaO215's picture by his posts. Thats just not fair........
        Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaO215
          i havent seen anyone rip corey and call him stupid. And to answer your question, no I havent EVER ridden my bike without a helmet on.

You are right a helmet wont save you from a broken neck, but Im betting head truma is far more popular in bike crashes than broken knecks. And saying that it wont effect me in this small situation seems kinda like a cop out when it will help you, and probably save your life, in just qaobut every other situation
          You can say head trauma but tell that to my Cuz that died at 22 yo from a broken neck and he had no head gear on. Just thought I would through that in. By the way the helmet I got from you is great Bro!
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
            Don't down Corey or anyone else for not wearing gear, try to give them the knowledge about why gear is the number one part of motorcycling!! If you have always wore gear then you don't understand the feeling of riding without gear.

This is my .02 and I don't want to debate this issue, I just like to see better education on the matter and not a ARSE RIPPING for not wearing the proper protection. We educate kids on "safe sex", lets do that with this.
            Excuse me? I haven't seen anyone rip into him at all. I think is was EDUCATE so far. This post is fucking tame compared to what some of them were like on KP. I think the key words there were "idiots" and "morons", and I fought for the right to choose til I was blue in the face. I still support his right to choose. As I said, I still go without a helmet once in a while. Just today I was out tearing up the parking lot after I finally got my bike running.....with no gear except my work clothes and sunglasses.
            Do as you wish, Corey. Just be safe. If anything happened to you, you would be missed on here.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

OK, maybe I was being Harsh for the use of words but come on.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaz
                OK, maybe I was being Harsh for the use of words but come on.
                maybe just a bit, but we get your point
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I think the point that Corey was trying to bring across though is that in states where it is not mandatory to wear it, then it is the persons choice to do as they wish. The reason insurance rates are high are not because some people decided to wear there helmets, and some don't. Its squids stunting on our public ighways and streets, not joe shmoe that is going to go putzing around without his lid. He knows what can happen, he knows that there are consequences, and as a Person, it is his choice, and anyone else choice (Unless law mandates you to wear one) to wear whatever he wants or doesn't want on his head.

Hell, I rarely used to wear mine. After seeing some pics from another member though, I have had a change of mine. Does it mean I will wear mine all the time still? No, but it has opened my eyes, and I will wear it more. It is my choice, and it will remain that way. Every action has its consequences.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

most of the time helmet,jacket,gloves and boots. I have rode alot in shorts and sneakers (mainly within a mile from my house or work). I know thats still very dumb!
                    Masshole in Az! -teaches pet-

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
                      Helmet, jacket, and gloves. Unless I'm just going to the gas station to fill it up, then I'll even leave the helmet at home. I can see the gas station from my driveway.
                      Me too, gas station is 3 houses down........ But then again my dad was in a coma for 3 days b/c he hit diesel fuel in the gas station parking lot that had been spilled and dropped his bike with no helmet. Way I figure it, whats gonna happen is gonna happen...... If I'm going anywhere, it all the gear I have. Just in town, it all depends......
                      '07 SV1000S
                      Power Commander III USB
                      M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                      Driven 520 chain kit
                      Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Helmet, jacket and gloves always, but in summer time, itīs near to impossible wear something more of than. In shorts rides in the city only the helmet.
                        Thats one of the reasons I dont ride too much in summer.
                        PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaytonKAT
                          I always wear my helmet and gloves, I usually wear my jacket with armor and joe rocket steel jeans. I havent found shoes that I really like yet if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them. And just a side note i really hate KatanaO215's picture by his posts. Thats just not fair........
                          hey, they choked, deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                            I think the point that Corey was trying to bring across though is that in states where it is not mandatory to wear it, then it is the persons choice to do as they wish. The reason insurance rates are high are not because some people decided to wear there helmets, and some don't. Its squids stunting on our public ighways and streets, not joe shmoe that is going to go putzing around without his lid. He knows what can happen, he knows that there are consequences, and as a Person, it is his choice, and anyone else choice (Unless law mandates you to wear one) to wear whatever he wants or doesn't want on his head.

Lou, stunters do make insurance go up, but if you dont think that peoples injuries (which are usually worse without gear, ESPECIALLY helmets) do make them go up signifigantly then you are delusional

Comment

Explaine to me how me choosing not to wear my helmet makes insurance rates go up, when it is not mandated by law to wear one.

So lets say that instead of 31 and snowing today, it was 80 and sunn. I go cruise with no helmet for 4 hours. Go home, chill.

I just made insurance rates go up????? Seriously WTF.

Ok, now, say I had a get off, scraped up my knee, because some cager cut me off. Still no helmet. Did I just make insurance rates go up?

Ok, now say I have a get off, truck cut me off going 70 down highway 35 (Yes, the speedlimit is 70 there). It whacks me, and helmet or not, I am either in a coma/vegtable, or dead. Insurance rate goes up either way.

Ok, now I am a squid, popping wheelies, standing up on them, going down any highway, and I have a get off. Call my insurance, tell them I had a accident. I get a new bike. Insurance rates go up?

Maybe YOU will call the insurance company, but for me, no thanks. I'll fix my own bike. It will be cheaper for me to do it anyways. And you my friend, are the delusinal one.

Yes, gear is always best, but its up to the person what they want to wear. What is driving up insurance rates is companies wanting a bigger profit margin, and 16 year old kids going out and buying R6's and Gixxer's for there first bike, with no street experiance.

Why is it that us not wearing a helmet is making your insurance rate so sky high? Either way people are getting hurt. Either way crashes are going to happen. Some people will have gear on, some won't. I don't see the factor of them choosing not to wear there helmet raising my prices.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

You are completely missing the point. you riding without a helmet and not getting killed doenst make my insurance go up. And neither does some kid riding a wheelie for 10 miles.

But that does make it go up is when you get hit doing 20 MPH and smack your skull against the street and get seriously hurt, when you could have come away almost unhurt (or not seriously) hurt if you were wearing a helmet.

get it?

Comment

Working...
                                X