Timing advancer Canadian Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing advancer Canadian Kat

Timing advancer Canadian Kat

Like most of you likely did, I spent the last few days reading Cyberpoets book; Very good I am enjoying it immensely.

While reading I noticed that, if I read it correctly, the Canadian versions of the kat already have a 5 degree timing advancer. I installed an Ivan’s jet kit and a 5 degree timing advancer; should I return to the stock advancer?
    Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
    http://www.burley1.ca

You didn't advance the timing 10 degrees. Just in case you were worried about that.

If your model had a 5 degree advance you should try and get your money back. Not fair of Ivan to sell something you don't need. They should have seen your address and asked questions..

Comment

I think you must have mis-read that part. I bought my ignition advancer from Marc The CyperPoet. I'm sure of all people, he would recognize the address as Canadian and not sell it if it wasn't necessary.

My $0.02.
      I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

That information came from the specifications pages of the GSX600F manual for the 98+ models (addendum pages at the end, which list the jetting, advance, etc. for each market).
        Page 9-8 says (and I just pulled the manual to triple-verify; same data on page 10-9 for the '01 model year):
        Ignition timing is 4 degrees BTDC at 1200 RPM for countries E-03, E-18 and E-33; 10 degrees BTDC at 1200 RPM for all other countries.
        Now going back to page 1-9, the country codes are:
        E-03 - USA (49-state model)
        E-18 - Switzerland & Austria (Austria by itself is E-39)
        E-33 - California-specific model
        That makes Canada (E-28) a country that already has the advance from the factory according to Suzuki's own manuals.

All that said, odds are Ivan doesn't have any reasonable basis to know this, and acted in good faith. Or he may have not known that you didn't have an US model.
        I have no doubt that if you offer up the advancer here at KR for the going rate, someone will jump all over it.

Originally posted by Spud View Post
        I think you must have mis-read that part. I bought my ignition advancer from Marc The CyperPoet. I'm sure of all people, he would recognize the address as Canadian and not sell it if it wasn't necessary.

My $0.02.
        Spud, I guessed that you saw that notice and knew that you had an US model. If you did buy it from me, I'll take it back without penalty and refund you the cost.
        Stupid thing: I've had several people supposedly "in the know" tell me otherwise -- that Canadian models don't get the advance from the factory.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I bought everything off Ebay on my own. I guess that I should contact Ivan. Would you recommend going back to the stock one? Spud if it worked ok in your bike perhaps I should just leave it with the 5 degree advancer. I don’t really want to take it back apart again. I am waist deep into another project right now. It seems to run fine.
          Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Comment

From what I'm reading, you're not hurting anything. However, you paid extra for something you didn't need.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I just spoke to Ivan and he told me that the advancer is req in both the US and Cdn bikes.

2004 600 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ontariokatana View Post
                I just spoke to Ivan and he told me that the advancer is req in both the US and Cdn bikes.
                Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Stupid thing: I've had several people supposedly "in the know" tell me otherwise -- that Canadian models don't get the advance from the factory.
                Sounds like this is one of those times CP was mentioning...
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

If you do indeed have a spare 5 degree advancer, I would be highly interested in purchasing it from you ontariokatana.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I think I will leave it for now. But in the future, I may take it out and use a CMM to compare it to the stock one.

2004 600 Kat

Comment

FWIW - my seat of the pants Dyno seemed to notice a difference when I switched. Perhaps it was just me wanting to notice a difference

I have the Ivan's Kit to put in this spring when the weather warms up. Unless someone can tell me conclusively that it's not necessary, I think I will leave the advancer alone.

Also, I still have the OEM part, is there anyone out there that can identify from that if the advancer is not necessary on the Canadian model?

BTW - mine is a 2006 600.

sigpic

Comment

Spud, if you ship me the Canadian OEM part, I can do a very close comparison to the US OEM part... five degrees of difference should be quite visible.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

FYI - I'm arranging to get my OEM Canadian part to CyberPoet for direct comparison to an OEM American part to determine once and for all if there is indeed a difference.

sigpic

Comment

I compared my stock Canadian advancer to Cyber's 5 degree advancer before I put it in the bike, and there was a difference between them.
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

keep us posted. i have the advancer from cyberpoet aswell but its still in the pack until i get the valves done on my kat.
                              Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
                              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Working...
                              X