Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Urgent help needed. Is this a great deal on a 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed. Is this a great deal on a 750?

I've been offered a 1993 Katana 750 with 22,000 miles on. It's painted a nice deep red color (professional, not spray can), and has good tires and runs nicely. It has been stored inside. It might need a little bit of work because the prior owner took off the stock undertail/fender and didn't put anything there instead. It looks good, runs good and seems like an okay bike. It has not been crashed.

$1,300. Deal or no deal?

That doesn't sound too bad. Cyber-Poet did a write up on buying a used bike. I'd read that and check it over real well before purchasing it.
    Life's not always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride!! 94 Katana 600/750 and 99 Harley Electra-Glide

Comment

Not bad at all, at least around here.

I nice, all stock 96 750 just sold here for $2K....it had one spot of rash, and like 9K miles. Ran good, Good tires etc. It sold in a week.

Comment

I would see if I could walk with it for $1000. But for $1300, if you can ride it away without fearing for your life, then it is a very respectable deal.

And here is CP's buying guide: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...uyingused.html
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

1300 is not terrible. Even if you are overpaying, you aren't overpaying by too much.

I'd say,
          if the bike is really clean as you describe then 1300 is reasonable.

oh, if possible, id try to look into the tank to see how much rust is in there. If there's a bunch of rust in there, then you could offer him $150-$250 less. If there's some small trivial amount of rust in there...offer $100 less ?...then again, a well take care of bike will probably have a clean tank...

good luck
          '96 600GSXF

Comment

Depends on where you are. Sure get it for $1000 but if it runs well $1300 is a good deal.

Comment

I want to know where you guys are where that you can snag pre 98's in good shape for that cheap?

At least here in VA, and surrounding areas, ANY running bike in decent shape for under $2K is gone in a heartbeat....sportbikes even more so.

Seems around here it's much easier to find a good deal on a post 98 Kat....

Comment

It's very geographic.. In Texas that bike would be over 1800..

So I feel your pain Ct..

Comment

I just paid $2400 for my '89 750... 33,000 miles. He was asking $3000... I think I got a good deal. $3000 is average for pre '88-93's around here. The '94-98's go for about $3000-$5000 depending on condition and engine (600 or 750). Mine has a small spot of rash on the RH plastics, but everything else is perfect.
                  My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

I just paid $2400 for my '89 750... 33,000 miles. He was asking $3000... I think I got a good deal. $3000 is average for pre '88-93's around here.
                    Holy crap! I've gotta get my 1990 750 going, and haul it up there to sell! I bought it for $875 last August, in non-running condition. I got it running without much problem, but running GOOD is another story. It feels like I have a couple of grand in my own labor on it. It ran good a couple of weeks ago, for about 3 days...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
                      Holy crap! I've gotta get my 1990 750 going, and haul it up there to sell! I bought it for $875 last August, in non-running condition. I got it running without much problem, but running GOOD is another story. It feels like I have a couple of grand in my own labor on it. It ran good a couple of weeks ago, for about 3 days...
                      If you get it running properly, it'll be an easy sell... but you'd probably have a hard time being you're from out of the country. If it were registered in Ontario, that'd be another story.
                      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

... but you'd probably have a hard time being you're from out of the country.
                        Just some wishful thinking. I wouldn't even want to deal with customs, etc.

If I can get this thing running good consistently, I'll probably keep it. I think I have about $1200 in it now (I replaced the Yoshimura header and K&N filters with stock parts), which still is fairly cheap. It has about 16k on it.

Comment

Yes, I think any bike that runs reliably and doesn't need significant work or parts for other-than-cosmetic reasons, is worth $1300 -- although like everyone here has said, negotiate (it's the fastest money you'll ever earn: a penny saved is a penny earned).

Things to specifically look for:
                          1. Failed or failing 2nd gear. Make sure 1-2nd shift and 2nd-3rd shifts are flawless, and that it stays in 2nd if you go zero-throttle, full-throttle, zero-throttle repeatedly at various speeds/RPM's.
                          2. Look at the frame, especially the down-tubes at the left and right of the exhaust headers where they exit the engine and the headstock (where the steering pivots) for rust or other signs of damages -- walk away from a damaged frame.
                          3. Make sure it runs well... I'm not above giving the exhaust a sniff to make sure it doesn't smell like liquid fuel when it's running (but no huffing the exhaust gases! ).
                          4. Tire dates. The tires may look great, but if the manufacture imprint date on the tire is 5 or more years ago, you'll need to replace them almost immediately to be safe -- that will affect the sale price by the cost of tires ($250-$300 for both typically, mounted).

Aside from that, follow my pre-purchase used bike checklist that they listed above (thanks thetable for posting it).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            4. Tire dates. The tires may look great, but if the manufacture imprint date on the tire is 5 or more years ago, you'll need to replace them almost immediately to be safe -- that will affect the sale price by the cost of tires ($250-$300 for both typically, mounted).
                            YES!!
                            a little thing?? Not when it gets you mid corner..

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                              But for $1300, if you can ride it away without fearing for your life, then it is a very respectable deal.

And here is CP's buying guide: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...uyingused.html
                              Indeed . Hell , I bought mine for $1500 5 years ago , and it'd been down , and the previous owners were clueless tools to boot . I'm STILL running across things once in a while that the previous tools messed up .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X