X

Newbie Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

Hello, as i said in my introduction, I am actively researching for a katana( first street bike). The choice is going to be a 06 600 , with very low mileage, or a 04 750 with 9000 km, again low miles , considering these bikes trouble free history!!My question today is about the difference in engine performance between the two ?? Rider reviews say the 600 has a bit different rider position , from the lower bar height & a bit less low end grunt ,possibly from the difference in carburation. Is this a fair statement , I don't want to offend anyone, and would really appreciate some real world advice to help my decision. Also , if the 600 does come from the factory this way, is there practical upgrades available. Thanks in advance, Rich

The 600 has lower bars. Not sure about the peg differences. IMO go for the 750. You'll have more room to grow. Also you'll have simpler valve adjustments. Anything the 600 has in advantage to the 750 can be "added" to the 750 easy. Adding 150cc of engine to a 600 is really hard..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Also you'll have simpler valve adjustments.
      Why is that BP...I had never heard that before?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

i agree even though i have the 05 600....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

BP is thinking back to the pre days of the 600 vs 750 valve adjustments. Post 600 are screw type adjusters same as the 750s and just as easy to adjust. The pre 600s were shim and bucket adjusters and more of a hassle to adjust. I too ride a 600 but I would buy the 750.
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
            BP is thinking back to the pre days of the 600 vs 750 valve adjustments. Post 600 are screw type adjusters same as the 750s and just as easy to adjust. The pre 600s were shim and bucket adjusters and more of a hassle to adjust. I too ride a 600 but I would buy the 750.
            The 88 600's are screw type as well are they not?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
              The 88 600's are screw type as well are they not?
              Yes. There is a cross-over year for the 600's somewhere in the early 90's (91? 92?) where the 600 went to shims until the major revisions started happening for the model change (when they went back to nut-adjusters by 98, possibly by 96 or 97).

On the 98+, the service is identical for both the 600 & 750 except for the fact that the 750 has an extra rubber isolation sheet over the valve covers that needs to be removed for access -- even the clearances are the same.

As for power differences, the 600 is about 15% down on torque and about 10% down on horsepower. The differences aren't as large as you'd expect just from the displacement difference because the engines don't run at the same compression ratios -- the 600 runs a higher compression ratio.

Now, all that said, the question is whether the Kat is the best "first" bike for you in specific. Unless you are particularly large or heavy, IMHO, it's a poor first choice because it will tend to keep you from learning some good riding habits that become second-nature on a smaller, higher-rev'ing (& narrower power-band) bike. You can find my full comments on this concept here:
              KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
              and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

PS - I applaud your research!

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I do not acknowledge the existence of Katanas after the Heresy of 98..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  I do not acknowledge the existence of Katanas after the Heresy of 98..

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                  X