No announcement yet.
X

What octane fuel do you use?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bikes will/should do fine on the lower octane. BUT the ethinol will degrade all the rubber componets it comes in contact with, ultimately destroying the fuel delivery system. add in other small problems/concerns with ethinol laced fuels and you have major problems.
    Carpie Diem!

Comment

too high a grade is harmful

So, as (R.I.P.) Cyberpoet stated detergent is an important factor in fuel. Running the correct octane is as well. For example if your bike is made to run 87 octane and you run a higher value then the ignition might not be as complete. This can lead to build up on the valves.
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

I usually run the higher octane gas but i'm not too picky about that. What I make sure of is that the gas station that I go to has Non-Ethanol gas. You should never run ethanol through anything with a carburetor.

Comment

You can run ethanol with carbs, just back out the a/f screws a little more so you don't run lean. Ethanol isn't really as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
          sigpic
          »Ross Wendell
          »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by dlmerdian View Post
            You should never run ethanol through anything with a carburetor.
            "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Please give me a valid reason for this. Prove myself and countless thousands of drag racers (car and motorcycle) wrong.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

in dlmerdians defense, it is common knowledge that ethanol can and does degrade rubber o-rings and gaskets and fuel lines, not to mention also causing corrosion. Drag racers that run alcohol also know they have to rebuild their engines more often, and usually change fuel lines o-rings etc from rubber to vinyl. Most newer cars and bikes that are fuel injected have a fuel lines that have a alcohol resistant liner inside to prevent problems with modern ethanol blended fuels.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                in dlmerdians defense, it is common knowledge that ethanol can and does degrade rubber o-rings and gaskets and fuel lines, not to mention also causing corrosion. Drag racers that run alcohol also know they have to rebuild their engines more often, and usually change fuel lines o-rings etc from rubber to vinyl. Most newer cars and bikes that are fuel injected have a fuel lines that have a alcohol resistant liner inside to prevent problems with modern ethanol blended fuels.
                Are you sure you aren't thinking of methanol (the alcohol drag racers use)? Running methanol is a big concern for seals and lines and such...... ethanol is much less a concern.

an excerpt from www.raceonE85.com .......

Q: Don’t I have to replace all the “rubber” in my fuel system so it want be eaten up by the alcohol in E85?
                A: NO!!! We started out on this journey with a complete gasoline system. We upped the flow 30% to compensate for the lower heat energy output of ethanol and left everything else the same just to see the effects. We switched to E85 at the end of the 2006 racing season and to date we have found zero deterioration or corrosion anywhere in our fuel system. We leave it in the system all the time. We don’t drain anything between races or use any type of fuel lube.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

This thread just will not die!!
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Please give me a valid reason for this. Prove myself and countless thousands of drag racers (car and motorcycle) wrong.
                    It's not anything terrible or they wouldn't put it in gasoline. It just dosen't burn as clean as gasoline.

Props on the quote tho. I happen to like that one

Comment

Working...
                    X