X

First bike..Pre vs Post???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bike..Pre vs Post???

I am looking at a Katana being my first bike. What are the advantages and disadvantages of post and pre bikes? This probably does not matter but I am looking to get a 750.

Pre.. Cheaper buy in. less crying when it drops.

Comment

And look better .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
        And look better .
        +1

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I got a 1999 750 for sale pm me if interested.
          Jealousy Is Natural

Comment

So the differences are basically cosmetic? Bubba thanks for the offer but when I do decide to look I will most likely look locally.

Comment

mechanically they are different, but i feel the ride is much the same. mind you i ride mostly pre 98s...

if it is your FIRST bike, i'd advise finding a cheaper pre 98 bike with preference to one being mechanically fit, rather than aesthetically pleasing. the odds are you'll drop it a few times

and take your tests on a smaller bike if you can; they aren't Kat friendly!
              1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by catfish View Post
                mechanically they are different, but i feel the ride is much the same. mind you i ride mostly pre 98s...
                Mechanically they are 95% the same. The post 98 are not better mechanically.

Comment

I just bought a '93 Kat 750 with lots of scratches on the bodywork and some issues. Fun to ride and fun to work on. Main advantage to me of getting pre was price. Get me on the road for practically nothing, get me experienced and then I can upgrade to whatever bike I want later.
                  1993 Suzuki Katana 750 (GSX750F)
                  1993 BMW 325i

Comment

Just make sure it's Blue because they are the fastest

Comment

Advantages of a post:
                      (A) All parts are still available through the Suzuki supply system, as well as many aftermarket vendors (Corbin comes to mind)
                      (B) Dual headlights.
                      (C) Less age/exposure in general, therefore likely to be in better shape, esp. regularly ignored parts such as swingarm bearings, etc.
                      (D) More tire choices available with the larger rear wheel rim size (up to a 160/60, although 150/70 is still the best size for it IMHO).
                      (E) IMHO: better all-weather commuter & tourer (more fairings to block the wind/rain).

Advantages to a pre:
                      (A) Cheaper.
                      (B) Many people think they look sexier.

My advice: it depends heavily on what kind of $$ you are working with. If you're going to spend $2500 or more, I'd go for the 98+, because you can find them in good shape for $2500 and over ($3200 is common). If you're working with less than $2500, you're pretty much looking at a pre-98 whether it's your preference or not, unless you get really lucky. Either way, use NADA.com to get realistic values of what you should expect to pay, and use my Pre-purchase inspection checklist for motorcycles to help make sure you're not getting a lemon.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by fgrejdus View Post
                        Just make sure it's Blue because they are the fastest

Wait...i thought black was, thats why i got black. What mods other than paint can i do to get up to blue power?

02 Kat 750
                        00 civic
                        98 accord EX

Comment

Originally posted by blackzc View Post
                          Wait...i thought black was, thats why i got black. What mods other than paint can i do to get up to blue power?
                          I thought everyone knew that Blue was the fastest.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

one advantage of pre is the lower fairings cover up the crankcase covers(starter clutch/signal generator) so when it falls down the plastic take the hit and you probably wont need to buy new covers. I've seen both fall over and the early ones come off best.
                            My 95 has a bent/dented left side engine cover (starter reduction gear cover) but it doesn't leak oil and you cant see it with lowers fitted (which is why I didn't know about it when I bought it)
                            PJ
                            Last edited by crazypj; 11-04-2007, 01:30 AM. Reason: last line explanation
                            I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                            There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                              I thought everyone knew that Blue was the fastest.
                              Nah, it's just riders who have a preference for blue tend to be faster... It's not the color that makes the bike faster

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X