X

looking for the right bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for the right bike

I am a 40 year young guy and I have been ridding street bikes for aout a year (currently a 750 Virago) and looking for a newwer bigger bike. I have tried a 1100 Kat and liked it but thought I would like to go a little smaller with a 750 (maybe 600?). Have tried lots of other crusiers and sport bikes but like the comfort and riding position of the sporties but find a lot of them too touchy on the accelleration and seem to need to run higher rpms to smooth out.I would love to have some input from people riding them to make sure its the one for me. Currently looking at 2000 to 2003 models.
    Thanks

Grab yourself a test ride... most dealerships will let you test ride used bikes, even if they won't let you test ride new ones.

Meanwhile, without telling us your riding habits (what kind of riding you actually do), it's hard to tell you whether this is an appropriate bike for your needs.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm a 61 year old guy, who had a 600 and found it too light, thats why I switched to a 1100 Kat: more weight and power.
      2005 GSXF750 Katana
      1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
      1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry
        I'm a 61 year old guy, who had a 600 and found it too light, thats why I switched to a 1100 Kat: more weight and power.
        Don't hear that too often. The Katana 600 was too light.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

I'm 37 and have a 2000 Kat 750. Great bike. Since you have some experience, I would highly recommend it. This is my first bike and decided on the 750 because I weigh 260 lbs and it hauls me around great.
          00 Katana 750

Comment

43 year old about 240 ride a 750 Kat no problems. Even took it on a 3 day run down through the mountains of Arkansas loaded with luggage. The 750 is a nice choice for us older fat dudes.
            If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

I was on a Virago 750 (dresser no less) before I got the 750 Katana 5 years ago , and I STILL like my Katana . It'll feel WAY faster than the Virago , steer easier by FAR , and feel half the weight . It's just plain way more FUN . And my back actually felt better riding the Kat after work .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I only weigh in at 160 but a hope to do alot more longer rides ( day trips ) and want to take some luggage with me. Also i like the fun of scaring myself a little and the virago won't do it. The other thing is i am so tired of seing cruisers every where and the attitude that seems to go with it. The 1100 I tried was a 93 and was quicker than I need. Looking for smoothe performance.

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast4u
                  I only weigh in at 160 but a hope to do alot more longer rides ( day trips ) and want to take some luggage with me. Also i like the fun of scaring myself a little and the virago won't do it. The other thing is i am so tired of seing cruisers every where and the attitude that seems to go with it. The 1100 I tried was a 93 and was quicker than I need. Looking for smoothe performance.
                  you cant go wrong with the 750 it is a very well rounded bike. I think going from a virago to a katana 750 will be like night and day. But also check out a sv 1000 it is a very comfortable and smooth bike and has plenty of power on demand as well. I love my katana but I went from a gsxr to a gsxf so now I wish I had something with a little more power
                  "I wanna go fast"

Comment

for smooth lazy riding (minimal gearchanges) i'd be looking at the 1100 (only 5 gears and hydraulic clutch), the 600 will have to be worked harder if you want rapid progress and the 750 will give you a slightly less hectic time ....

for mile eating as opposed to hurling it round the twisties i'd go for the 1100 every time ....

on saying that my 1100f is just taking up space in the garage while i'm out getting fun on my gsxr750ws (i do like cornering )
                    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

I'm 6' 190, and I ride an 06 600. Its great for me, though I wish I had gotten the 750 instead.
                      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

im 5'10 165 lbs...i ride a 06 600...this is my first bike, and im glad i went with this one...i was also looking at the 750, but decided to get the 600....

Comment

Originally posted by 2fast4u
                          Yeah , sounds like you'll like the Katana . I've had mine for 5 years now , and it still manages to get me into a little trouble once in a while . I'm actually trying to get the Virago back an into shape to use as the grocery getter . The luggage I have on my Kat , while decent , don't hold NEARLY as much as that Virago did .

Comment

I don't think a Kat 1100, of any year, is gonna be much newer than a Virago 750.

Consider the Bandit 1200 if used, Bandit 1250 if new.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

The Virago came out origionally in '81 . There was a 500 or 550 , 750 , 920 . But the 750 came out in '81 origionally , was discontinued in '83 or so . Came back again in the early 90's for a few years , then went away AGAIN . So yeah , the early Virago would be almost 10 years older than the 1100 Kat . I have an '83 750 sitting in a friend's garage waiting for some work if I ever get around to it .

Comment

Working...
                              X