X

Bedliner paint job update?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kickitjp
    Do you need to prep the surface (of a fairing) as if painting with regular paint?

(Taking off the old, 400, 600, 1500 grit, primer...blah)
    You need to remove any wax, loose paint, oils. A few swipes with toulene or keytone should do it. If you want better adhesion, wipe it down lightly with 220 or 400 grit or so (nothing too fine -- bedliner doesn't apply thin). Ready to paint

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When you guys talk about bedliner paint are you talking about the "Rhino-liner" stuff or is it more like a heavy duty flat black paint? I can't imagine doing the whole bike with Rhino liner. It sure would be durable though now that I think about it.

HHHHMMMMM :-k

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

yeah its the same stuff, but Rhino is VERY expensive and you can get a gallon can of generic liner at walmart for like $40. I painted my truck bed with it and I used a sandblaster gun and attached a hose to it and just ran the hose straight into the can. It has more texture that way. All you have to do is just clean the surface, ruff it up with some sand paper and go to town. Spray one coat and let it sit for a while then spray another before the first is totally dry. Since spraying my truck, I have used bedliner on all kinds of things.

Comment

can you paint over the bedliner stuff. Like black bedliner and then some painted flames?
          1995 Katana 750 for sale in Bikes for sale section.

Comment

heres a little story about a friend of mine.....

he had an old pontiac tempest (GTO), and it was rowdy motor wise. well we were going to this party one night out in the country and we had a great idea to take everything out of the trunk and spray the bedliner in there. then we went to the gas station about bought about 6 bags of ice, and a couple cases of beer. we had a portable cooler. it was verrrrryyyyy nice. looked awsome too...
            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Hey that would be a great idea for tailgating at games and stuff. hhhmm, interesting!!

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
                heres a little story about a friend of mine.....

he had an old pontiac tempest (GTO), and it was rowdy motor wise. well we were going to this party one night out in the country and we had a great idea to take everything out of the trunk and spray the bedliner in there. then we went to the gas station about bought about 6 bags of ice, and a couple cases of beer. we had a portable cooler. it was verrrrryyyyy nice. looked awsome too...
                hope you guys had a drain hole somewhere

Comment

yea, we did! it was great fun
                  if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

i did part of my frame in the truck bed liner. easy to use.

Comment

I bought six rattle cans of black bedliner last november. I'm just waiting for the temps to warm-up so I can paint. Only a few more weeks I hope.
                      '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Forget who asked, but no you would not paint over this stuff.... the reasons it is good for this application:

1. Textured - this means you will not notice any underlying scratches, etc that would still be visible or require more prep prior to painting.
                        2. One step process - no primer, paint, clear, etc - just prep the surface and spray on
                        3. Cheap - buy a case of rattle cans for $20 - no equipment needed

I would not do this to a bike that did not need paint. If I had a drop and my fairings were a little shot, this might be a good, cheap fix. I would not consider this as an option for a bike I was restoring or looking to resell for much.

This stuff is real good for car frames, trunk liner, floor boards, etc. I have also seen it used on the bottom of jeep doors, fenders, etc... as it resists stone chips.
                        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                        X