X

Synthetic oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic oil

How many miles are you puttin on your Katana using a synthetic oil. I am using Mobile1 4T 10w-40 sythetic oil and I currently have 2000 miles on this change. I am wondering If I should change or can I go to 3000 miles, or what is the maximum I should go,

I typically go 3k - 3500 miles on good oil, which is the interval Suzuki says is expected for the Kat.

Naturally, there are a lot of other factors to consider:
    If you drive in a lot of stop-n-go traffic, reduce the interval.
    If you drive or live in a particularly dusty area, reduce the interval.
    If you drive primarily short jaunts, reduce the interval.

I think I did 3k miles the week of the rally.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It should be changed more often in a motorcycle for several reasons such as higher operating rpms, have higher stress and have a clutch adding contaminates to the oil which is my motorcycle oils tend to turn a darer color much quicker. Most of these contaminates are too fine for the filter to pick up.
      I recommend 5000km or 3000 miles for an oil change regardless of the type of oil used.
      With decent oil like the Mobil 1 you would be fine at 3500 miles.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Remember that Suzuki recommends replacing the filter every 3rd oil change. However, I tend to be ultra conservative and the $8.50 for an OEM filter is cheap insurance.

Comment

For less than $10 extra I think I will stick with the oil filter change every time.
          I change every 3k (or as close as I can get) however I try not to ride it that hard.

Comment

To me not changing an oil filter very time you change oil is like taking a bath in dirty water.

Comment

Working...
            X