X

Packing for trip... bags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing for trip... bags

Well I'm off for a week trip to Quebec on my Kat...

As I don't do a lot of distance riding so I figured I could get away with strapping a "carry-on" bag to the back of the bike. I did a test fit/ride and it seems to work well...

I think I'll ad a piece of foam rubber under the "carry-on" to help protect the seat and paint... it should also help keep the bag in place.

Any other suggests you guys can think of?

Below is a pic with the bag mounted.

tx LBJGH

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

I would think about some inexpensive saddle bags to get the weight down lower and most of them come with covers for the unexpected... weather.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I would scotch guard that bag in case it pours on you or you could put all the contents in a large plastic bag.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Thanks for the ideas... scotch guard sounds good... if I had more time I'd consider the saddle bags too...
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by lbjgh
          Thanks for the ideas... scotch guard sounds good... if I had more time I'd consider the saddle bags too...
          Or a least a soft sided gym bag.
          Those wheels look a little too close for comfort.

Comment

haha, by backside is soft sided... or at least it will be. The carry-on has a hard spine where the handle slides in which I thought would make it easier to strap down. I thought a soft sided bag would be like jelly on the back of the bike...

Originally posted by Skeezix
            Or a least a soft sided gym bag.
            Those wheels look a little too close for comfort.
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

No prob. That bag will make a nice back rest too
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

I thought a soft sided bag would be like jelly on the back of the bike...
                With a cargo net, a soft bag is much more stable.
                And much less intrusive.

Comment

well looking at your bag and the fact it has wheels......why not just tow it from the extended grab handle?

LOL

Just joking.....as mentioned b4....scotchguard is a must............i would try to obtain a proper touring bag for several reasons.

waterproof or has a cover

rugged

stylish

i recently got a dririder bag for $100 aus and its a tail bag.

hold 32L capacity and opens up to 42L if needed.

I too dont tour away from home overnight very much and for months I had heaps of weird crap hangin off the bike as temporary luggage.

Seen the dririder bag, good price, never regret getting it.

Please forgive me but i am not being rude but the style of suitcase you are using will look odd and you may get crap put on ya by other bikers you will pass on the way. My honest advice is go with a cheap tail bag.

Goddluck and ride super safe.

Roc

Comment

Waterproof . Just wrap it in a garbage bag . TRUST me , it works fine like that .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well … The plastic bag around is a great idea.. go for it.. also. (and this might be my military background shining trough – and the fact that dry socks at times is your second best friend ) I normally pack everything separately in small plastic bags (clear) – if you sit on them, and press all the air out, you can also get a vacuum effect, and therefore pack more…
                      Have a nice trip…
                      Greetings from the Land of milk and Honey – well yes... and Lego...

------------------------
                      95 Katana 600
                      05 BETA 270 rev3

Comment

Softbag? No, no, no. Turn that wheeled bag around, with the wheels facing to the rear. Push it back on the seat.

Gives you a softer backrest.

And WHEELIE ROLLERS!
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Wrap it in a Lidl bag hahahah - then your helmet in a Aldi bag.....

Lol, dude, get a proper bag haha...
                          You are funny tho please please take pics (or a vid) with your storage - best would be if its attached to the rear and going along with the wheels...

U-HAUL KAT STYLE !!!

Comment

I've done a duffle bag on the back before... That actually worked very very well, oddly enough, because the bottom could easily conform to the seat, and the straps could cinch into the bag to make it hyper-secure.

Meanwhile, my other half has told me she won't be going "touring" on her bike again in the next decade or so, and that I should sell the BBag SpeedPack I have. 110 liter capacity means it holds more than my Givi hard-bags...
                            Looks like the picture below (sans the gray), and consumes the backseat, but if you need to haul a lot of stuff, it's superb...

More info on BBags: Bags-Connection.com: GSX750_F/6_Speedpack.html.
                            New it's $383.95 plus S&H. I'll sell it to the first person to offer up $250 delivered in the USA. Comes with everything (including all the straps, new).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here is my setup for laundry day! Only problem I have (not really a problem) is I hate when I can feel the bag on my back. It distracts me. I've started using a cargo net to hold the bag down and a bungie to told it back away from me.

8)
                              2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                              Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                              2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X