X

Cleaning advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning advice

Hey guys, I've been searching through old topics and I've got the majority of the info I need, just need a few confirmations. Please let me know if anybody's heard anything bad about these products.

For chain cleaning: I think I've found a few places that are selling the Moose chain scrubber. My only question is get the 520 or 530? I came across a thread where CyberPoet I think said use the 520, not the 530 like recommended, but didn't write it down and now I can't find that thread.

Chain Lubbing: Motorex Strong Chainlube

Cleaning Rims: Simple green or sludge away

Swing Arm: Simple Green - Can I use sludge away since I'm getting it for the chain?

I found PJ1 cable lube for my cables and BLUE JOB Metal polish for my pipe and some of the external metal pieces. - Does anybody have any objections to these two products? Also, what can I use to clean the pipe and other external medal pieces before polishing them?

I use the basic Armorall car wash for my Jeep so I'm going to use that for the bike - but I'll get her her own sponge though

I've only had a little free time (which is why I haven't cleaned her yet - not that she still don't look good dirty ), but the Kat has been awesome. The weekends are that much better now that I can jump on her and go for a spin.

Thanks.
    The Armor of God - Never leave home without it!

Chain lube ....

MFR motorcycle chain lube, Grunge Brush and how to clean and lubricate a motorcycle chain.

I bought some PJ1 Blue Label based on this article . Also , I HATED the Moose scrubber . I finally found a Grunge Brush , and I like it LOTS better . Like a 3-sided toothbrush .
    Armor All ...... I'd say just leave that crap in the shed . Don't wanna use it on your seat (dangerous , it could make you slide right off) , risky getting it on your tires and having it get to the tread ..... yeah , I wouldn't bother .
    And Simple Green is good stuff for just about ANYTHING .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Armor All ...... I'd say just leave that crap in the shed . Don't wanna use it on your seat (dangerous , it could make you slide right off) , risky getting it on your tires and having it get to the tread ..... yeah , I wouldn't bother .
      And Simple Green is good stuff for just about ANYTHING .
      I think he was saying "Armor All" brand car soap... that's prolly okay... as long as it's not the "Armor All" that makes everything all slick.

I use simple green for just about everything...
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Spent some time as a car detailer in my younger days sooooooooo...
        For the love of god DON'T use a sponge on your bike! Unless you plan on buying a new one every time you wash your bike. Reason? Sponges will actually "store" dirt in its pores and the more that sponge gets reused, the more dirt (read "abrasives") it gets in it. So eventually you are "sanding" the surface of your paint. Which causes the spiderweb effect you see on most cars. Solution? Get yourself some terry rags that you can launder after each use. Do not bleach them. I also use Armor All Car Wash and follow it up with Zymol polish. I use simple green on the greasy bits.

Comment

I use a 530 Moose chain scrubber without any problems. I also use Motorex 622 Strong chain lube and it has worked well for me. it seems to spray evenly and stick well.

Sludge Away works great on rims.

Comment

md86 - Thanks for looking out, but I was just referring to the basic Armor All car wash. I wouldn't dream of putting that stuff any where near the Kat. Haven't even thought about what to use on the seat!

I'll pick up both the sludge away and simple green - I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of them.

tobyrox - Thanks for the tip on the terry cloth rags. Do you use the Zymol polish every time you wash? If so, how often do you wash - just want to be sure I don't cloud the paint up.

Thanks to everybody for advice!!!

Comment

Try Motorcycle pro shop for a 530 chain I'm sure that CP recommends the 530. I just went through the same debate.
              98 Integra GSR
              96 Kat 750

Don't be like me

Comment

For cleaning my chain, I found that kerosene worked best using a 1" soft bristle angle brush that I cut down to about 1/2" (at an angle).

For lubrication, I use the same type of brush but use gear oil (80W90).

I have yet to see a "canned" commercial version that can clean and maintain my chain any better.

Comment

awsnap - Thanks for the link. I'll hold on to that in the event I have to replace the chain. Hopefully, cleaning it will be enough.

Comment

Not a problem Santiago. I use Zymol Cleaner Wax about twice a riding season here. Every other time I just use their polish. It's kind of like a "show and shine" product not really a wax. The cleaner wax does alot for the finish so start there imho. It's about $16 a bottle and can be found just about anywhere.

Comment

Re: Cleaning advice

Originally posted by Santiago
                      My only question is get the 520 or 530? I came across a thread where CyberPoet I think said use the 520, not the 530 like recommended, but didn't write it down and now I can't find that thread.
                      Must have been a typo. Unless you've put a 520-conversion on your Kat, get the 530 size. And I use the 530 on my bike

Originally posted by Santiago
                      Swing Arm: Simple Green - Can I use sludge away since I'm getting it for the chain?
                      I use the SludgeAway on my swingarm, rims, chain, and just about anything I want to chase the oil/sludge off of. I made a mistake yesterday and grabbed some orange-peal based off-brand degreaser to use on my rear rim and my tire really didn't like it...

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

tobyrox - SWEET!!! Thanks for the clarification. I'll check it out this weekend.

Must have been a typo. Unless you've put a 520-conversion on your Kat, get the 530 size. And I use the 530 on my bike
                        Hey CP - I was going off of my memory so don't quote me on that. You probably wrote it right and I just remembered it wrong - I couldn't find the thread after I went through a lot looking for cleaning info. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks also for the tip on the sludge away, I hope everything worked out with that rear tire

Comment

CP - I'm not the original owner, but I doubt it's been changed. The only mods that I can tell were a tinted windshield, a black and red seat and a after-market pipe.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X