Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Any difference between 98-04 750's & 05-06?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference between 98-04 750's & 05-06?

Curious to see if anyone knows if there's a difference between 05/06 750 engine and the 98-04 750's. Ron ayers & bike bandit doesn't have anything above a 04 on microfiche. I might pick up a 05 750 engine to hold me while I build the other I have, kinda curious if there's anything changed with the 05.

As far as I know they should be the same.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

But if I'm wrong somebody will pipe in.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Engine-wise, they are identical from 02 through 06. The 98-01 change the oil pump output volume each year (going from 5.8 gal/min in 98 to 8.8 gal/min by 01, stepping up each year until 01, at least according to suzuki's own press materials).
        There's also a switch to a two-plug CDI unit that happened in '02, if I recall right; other than that, there's no change engine-wise between 02 and 06 (and 98-02 CDI's will drive 03-06 engines with zero problems -- the switch to two plugs was strictly for tighter fit & a change of vendors).
        Aside from those changes, there are no differences that I'm aware of, and functionally, the engines are interchangable from 98 thru 06.

Externally, there are some minor changes, such as the headlight surrounds, the rear footpeg hangers (welded vs. bolt-on), fork spacing, and muffler shape/construction.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the info! I did buy the 05 motor, 1700 miles for $800. This is going into a 93, I just hope I don't have to mod the exhaust much to get it to fit (oil pan clearance issues maybe?) and the oil cooler lines will hook up, time will tell. Maybe I'll finish the bike sometime this summer I have so much time and $$ into this thing, would be nice to ride it Two years and counting..

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
            Thanks for the info! I did buy the 05 motor, 1700 miles for $800. This is going into a 93, I just hope I don't have to mod the exhaust much to get it to fit (oil pan clearance issues maybe?) and the oil cooler lines will hook up, time will tell. Maybe I'll finish the bike sometime this summer I have so much time and $$ into this thing, would be nice to ride it Two years and counting..
            As far as I know, if you use the pre's headers, they'll hang low but do the job. The 98-06 headers turn towards the back earlier, and won't clear a pre-98's stock oil pan -- the other way around shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the engine
            What did he throw in with it (i.e. CDI, wiring harness, etc?).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh man that sucks! I would have thought it would be the other way around since I'm going from a short to a long stroke motor, I guess I'll see how far it's off... I really don't want to loose ground clearance, I've lost an 1" off the front going with the front end I have. I got the starter and alternator, no carbs which is fine since I'm using my old ones anyways. I have a new suzuki harness so I'm good there too.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Originally posted by guy2600
                As far as I know, if you use the pre's headers, they'll hang low but do the job. The 98-06 headers turn towards the back earlier, and won't clear a pre-98's stock oil pan -- the other way around shouldn't be a problem as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the engine
                What did he throw in with it (i.e. CDI, wiring harness, etc?).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Pre exhaust won't clear the bump in the oil pan on a 98+ engine. You can't even get them high enough to mount. Swap oil pan and pickup if you don't want to swap the exhaust.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Cool I have a new pan and gasket sitting in the garage. This is a Vance & Hines SS2R exhaust if it makes a difference. I really want to use it since it's new and paid like $500 for it. Maybe things will swing my way in the end...

Comment

Working...
                  X