Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Am I keeping my bike from getting good gas mileage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I keeping my bike from getting good gas mileage?

Does the riding position on the kat affect the gas mileage? IE, am I creating excessive drag sitting upright?

If your 10 feet tall and 4 feet wide you might be .

Honestly I doubt it would make a huge difference "tucking in" all the time, although it would no doubt draw some unwanted attention from the police if it looks like your "racing" everywhere.
    Kyle

Comment

I would seriously doubt it...

Though not on the Kat this past weekend, my wife and I rode our bikes out of town (130 miles or so) and I was upright the entire time and averaged 47-48 mpg on the R1.... I was suprised at such good mileage.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

My '92 750 gets around 35 mpg , but it's got a Yoshi
        exhaust and tuned jet kit, k&n filter. I ride upright all the time rarely tuck in, except on the interstatesometimes. Your probably getting as good
        of MPG as your going to get.

Comment

Above 60mph you can create a draft but I don't think it would eat up that much more gasahol...
          "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

On my Kat, if I take it easy, it gets over 47MPG. Now if I gun it all the time, less of course. Just like the stang.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

I actually made 49 MPG riding 2up with my wife ... I am 6'3" tall and sit upright... But my wife sits up higher than me ... I believe it was the nice flowing roads through the Laurel Mountains, with no stop an go traffic on it that saved the gas ... :P
              2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
              Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
              "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
              Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
              Veteran of the United States Air Force.
              "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Honestly I doubt it would make a huge difference "tucking in" all the time, although it would no doubt draw some unwanted attention from the police if it looks like your "racing" everywhere.
                You also look like an idiot tucking in at 20 mph too. Even on highway I really don't think tucking will help on mpg
                I don't have an ego I just love how awesome I am

LETS GO PENS

Comment

With the coefficient of drag a bike has you maybe increasing it by a percent or two at most sitting upright. Also, it's not like you're always going 100mph the whole time you ride so on average it's not affecting it too much.
                  2004 Katana 750
                  1994 Cobra 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by persing66

You also look like an idiot tucking in at 20 mph too. Even on highway I really don't think tucking will help on mpg
                    hate going OT but i saw a guy the other day doing about 30 in a 25 on a gixxer
                    he was all the way on the tank with his feet dangling off the rear pegs .. classic !
                    money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

The biggest factors in your fuel mileage are:

1. Gear selection and shift-points.
                      2. Highest "cruise" speed attained (someone doing 95 on a typical Kat sucks down a third more fuel per distance than someone doing a rock-solid 60).
                      3. Chain lube, chain & sprocket conditions (15% can go down the drain right there).
                      4. Red-light/green-light behaviors. Do you slow down a little early and then roll through the intersection, or do you zoom up to the last 100 feet, come to a full stop, and then rip back up to speed?
                      5. Tire condition & tire pressures. Tire pressure relates directly to rolling resistance.
                      6. Oil, and how it affects pumping losses. Different oils have different resistances to pumping (even at the same viscosity).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by persing66

I tucked alot when I was a kid, but I was young and just experimenting really.
                        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Re: Am I keeping my bike from getting good gas mileage?

Originally posted by KatanaEvolution
                          Does the riding position on the kat affect the gas mileage? IE, am I creating excessive drag sitting upright?
                          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

I may have underestimated the amount of fuel in my tank. I don't think it was a full 3 gallons, it was 2.8. My kat has a busa shock on it and it sits up tall and leans for miles before it settles on the stand.

Since the bike leans so much it reached the neck of the fuel tank sooner allowing me to fill it with less fuel.

When I filled up this last time I sat on the bike and kept it upright and put more fuel in it.

The I put 100 miles I put on it was also before the red section on the tank.

Do you guys consider the mileage on a tank just the white section, or the combination of the white and red?

Comment

I go from totally topped-off to bone-dry.
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X