X

Bad Smell, New Bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Smell, New Bike

There is a aweful smell coming from the bike, I rode about 10 miles today, and it was the first 10 put on the bike, it literally had 0's when I bought it. Is it the clutch? I wasn't riding it too hard, but I was trying to find the "friction zone" for a few minutes before I took off down the road. Anything else it might be? The bike rode great, just that curious smell.....
    Hold on Tight.......

It was prolly either the clutch or the brakes. -And since you were going for the friction zone, it was most likely the clutch...

But change your underwear, just in case.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Try a shower..

Other than that it could be just that it is new. I think my '06 smelled for a few miles.
      2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
      2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

The bikes are covered with an anti-corrosion spray for the trip across the big pond. You are smelling the plastic like covering burning off.

Normal

Comment

ok, do they spray the parts with rustproof and over-lube them at first? Just wondering if that might have been it. Whew, pants were clean, that was a close one!
          Hold on Tight.......

Comment

Its just the heat burning the various coatings off. Perfectly normal.
            Who brought the retarded kid?

Comment

Do you have a moustache?....If so, is there any old food or other crusty substance in it?

Something to check is all I'm sayin'

THE DOC
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bswasey
                Yeah, the paint, chain lube, wire cladding. Perfectly normal!

The bikes that I've bought new also smelled kinda funny the first few days. I wouldn't worry about it unless you observe something else.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by moosehead89
                  There is a awful smell coming from the bike
                  You do know it's a Can-o-Tuna right?

-2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                  -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

no mustache, and thanks for the info folks!
                    Hold on Tight.......

Comment

It was me.. I farted

Comment

Originally posted by mike75
                        It was me.. I farted

Comment

I would suggest checking your tires.. Maybe you ran through something. Do you have a Dog by any chance?
                          REMEMBER... A GOOD friend will help you move. A REALLY good friend will help you move a body!... Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!

Vehicles.
                          1987 22' Sea-Ray Seville
                          2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon (lifted 5" w/ 35" Goodyear MTR's)

Comment

Originally posted by jgalar
                            The bikes are covered with an anti-corrosion spray for the trip across the big pond. You are smelling the plastic like covering burning off.

Normal
                            Originally posted by bswasey
                            These guys nailed. It's alot of things actually. Any chemicals that could have gotten on the bike during production. Plastic and many other materials heating up real good for the first time... Brand new cars smell the same way. Not usually when you buy it. But if you happen to be the first person to drive it the smell is pretty bad.

I used to be a Chrysler Tech. Every new car that came in had to be inspected to make the factory didn't miss something, and there was no damage. They also had to be driven about 15 miles. What a stench....

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

Totally Unrelated:
                              If it left the shop with zero on the odometer, I would suggest checking the oil level (via the method listed in the owner's manual); the level probably dropped after they assembled it and you rode it due to oil moving into the cooler & tranny as it ran.

I've never seen a shop where the techs didn't take the bike out for at least a couple-mile ride to double-check it before handing it to a customer.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X