X

Keyless Go

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyless Go

Anyone that read my previous posts may know my contact/ignition thing (how do you call that in english anyway?) is worn out and my keys can (and did) fall out.

So I want something else. I could order a new lock and keys, and replace my tank lock, saddle lock.. but I am not going to bother. I want something keyless this time

Here is what I want: I want a system that will only let me turn on my bike when there is an RF tag ("key") within range. Now there is a catch: I dont want to drain my batteries by having the receiver on all the time. Ideally it would have a "push button" that will turn on the system, scan for "key", if its found, switch a relay that turns on the bike and remains on until I push the button again.

If no key is found in range, it should turn itselve off after a few minutes or so (and perhaps sound an alarm). Ideally, it would also have a regular key or some code to override the system in case of emergency/malfunctioning, forgetting or losing the RF key.. On second thought, no need, Ill just use my existing ignition switch in parallel over the keyless system as emergency backup.

Ive looked hard for something along those lines, but found nothing. I can find keyless systems with alarms for cars, but they all enable the doors to open and stuff, but they dont seem to provide a relay that is turned on until manuall turned off again (for the ignition) so I'm not sure if I could mod that into something I want for my bike. Needless to say, they don't have a timed switch/button to enable the system for only a few minutes.

Any pointers ? Some products ready to install, or components I could mix together myselve ?

Re: Keyless Go

Originally posted by 72Skinny
    Any pointers ?
    Necessity is the mother of all invention. You have a great idea here. I know for fact that there are a few automobile manufactures that are using similar technology.

If you know how, you should think of finding a manufacture that could bring it to life, with your name on it, with patens pending. Then you’d be rich! $$$$$$$$

.....and that's if I don't beat ya to it
    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

One suggestion, don't let the scanner fun for a few minutes. It should only need a few seconds. As for an alarm, give it two attempts in case your RFID is being blocked somehow. If it doesn't read after two attempts, the alarm sounds.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

The receiver shouldn't draw too much current.
        I think the biggest issue is the range. How close does the "tag" need to be in order to "click".
        Some PC (RS232) systems offer long range capabilities. These are the types used to lock/unlock computer systems (walk away from the computer and it locks, protecting the data..) Not sure how you could integrate this into a bike though.

Comment

Re: Keyless Go

Originally posted by tnvatdreamland
          Any pointers ?
          Necessity is the mother of all invention. You have a great idea here. I know for fact that there are a few automobile manufactures that are using similar technology.

If you know how, you should think of finding a manufacture that could bring it to life, with your name on it, with patens pending. Then you’d be rich! $$$$$$$$

.....and that's if I don't beat ya to it
          Patents ? I know in the US you can apply for a patent for "a pencil that does double duty as tooth pick" but it will be just as worthless as what I proposed here. There is no new invention, just a "new" application for old technology.

But yeah, it does surprise me no one seems to have built it yet (or at least sells it). The base components seem cheap enough, you can find RF card based key-less door locks for $50 end user price. The rest of the electronics specific for this project should be just a couple of $/€ and who wouldnt pay $100 for such a gadget ?

I'll talk to one of our electronic engineers, see if he doesnt want to draw me a scheme..

Comment

Just have to sharpen up your searching skills.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Good Job Astro! This looks like a preety cool unit. Just wish it wasn't so cost prohibitive. If you could move it around from one bike to another easily, it would be worth it to me.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

Comment

Good find indeed. But overpriced and "underranged". I dont like having to *sit* on the receiver for it to work.

I just visited a local electionics shop, and it seems the medium range RF receivers (few meters) are still prohibitively expensive. Its only the <50cm ones that are affordable. You could build a system like the one you linked to for a fraction of the price, but what i want seems still hard/expensive.

I settled for an "active " transponder (remote) that I'll install next weekend.

Comment

I settled for an "active " transponder (remote) that I'll install next weekend.
                  If you are able to make it work, let us know all the specifications, what you used and how you did it. I would be highly interested in installing a similar devise.

Comment

A simple Velleman kit, Im not sure they are available in the US. Its a product similar to this one:

but able to switch 15A.

Anyway, I need to think it over a bit more.. for instance, one risk of having an "active" remote is that the button could be pressed by accident while its in your pocket. It would not be cool if your bike shut down because you tuck behind the windscreen or something.

Comment

Maybe something like this would be a good starting point. Couple this with a latching relay setup and maybe a time delay relay for the reader.

Also there are RFID tags that are in the shape of credit cards that you could just keep in your wallet. Place the antenna under the seat and your ready to go hands free. Another option for you if you live in a large metro area, alot of subways and other mass transit systems are now using RFID cards for access and billing, so you might be able to reuse that for your access card to your bike.

Comment

I dont like the idea of having to sit on the receiver. I never keep my wallet in my rear pocket (its guaranteed to fall out soorer or later), I always keep my wallet in my inner pocket of my jacket.

Unless I can find affordable RF receivers with an effective range of about 1-2m, RF is not going to be in my future.

There is however, another option Im exploring: bluetooth. Using the presence of your BT enabled phone, combined with a timer relay (activated by a push button) to turn on your bike would be covenien, and probably doable.

Comment

There are bikes already on the market with such features -- maybe you could buy/swap parts.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This looks perfect:
                            RF Solutions Ltd suppliers of radio modules, radio remote control systems, antenna, wireless, GSM and industrial telemetry solutions

Even has the pushbutton logic built in. Only cave at is the price, which is quite steep...

Comment

Working...
                            X