X

upgrading to FZ6

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading to FZ6

I know I'm gonna get some heat here but getting ready to purchase an FZ6.

Gonna trade in the old Kat for a Yammi. Any Opinions regarding the FZ6?

Honestly, my lower back aches a little now from leaning over but I think has alot to do with my pack I ride with everday. But being the Yammi is a little more upright would be more comfortable.

Just giving the heads up and no disrespect as I the Kat is my first real bike.

Thanks,

No heat here. Buy what suits YOU, not everyone else!
    Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Compared to a 98+ Kat:
      The Yahama FZ6 will normally give better fuel mileage, a longer tank range, more power and a higher top speed. Most of the systems are as simple/stupid as the Kat, and it uses fewer parts. Plus it's quite a bit lighter than the Kat, which is part of why it is usually considered to be "better handling". Valve adjustment interval for the 92-94 is around 25k miles compared to the Kat's 7500.

The downsides include that the fairings & stock windshield aren't as big (not as much protection if the elements turn nasty), single bulb headlight, the power doesn't come on until quite high in the RPM range, the underseat storage isn't anywhere close to what the Kat's is, and you can't get hard side-mount saddlebag racks (like Givi's), although top-boxes are avaiable, it doesn't have as much spare electrical surplus when running, and getting all the fairings out of the way is a royal PIA (too many bolts, fairing pieces).

Mixed blessings: the FZ6 uses water-cooling, which keeps the engine cooler and increases how much power can be gotten out of the cylders, but also means that you need to watch water-pump replacement intervals, have radiator hoses, thermostat to worry about, and if it does overheat, the resulting steam can warp engine parts badly.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The local Honda dealer has an FZ6 that caught my eye when it got traded in.... Don't see the problem... looks like a nice bike.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Nice looking bike. Do what you have to do.
          Have you thought about the SV?
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

I traded my kat for a 2006 fz6 last July. While the kat is a great bike and you can't take anything from it, the FZ6 is to me a better bike. Very comfortable riding position, quick, sharp bike. I too got tired of the lower clip ons. You will not be sorry if you trade.
            Barry

Comment

ride what you like, just dont leave KR, thats all we ask.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

One of my co-workers has an FZ6 and we go riding from time to time. First time we went out we swapped rides for a bit and I can't say I cared much for the "feel" of the FZ. It's is lighter and peppier then my Kat 750 but the riding position just feels a little goofy to me, a little to upright for my tastes. My only other complaint about it would be the shifting. I felt it really had a clunky shift in the lower gears, compared to it my Kat shifts like butter.
                Like others have already said.....get what YOU like and what suits YOU.

Comment

I'm impressed you all are much more mature and open minded than the Mustang forum I belonged to a few years ago. That's one reason why I like this forum; the flame wars are kept to a minimum.
                  SFC Smith US Army Iraqi War Veteran.
                  Honda 919 Rider

Comment

I had a 86 FZ600 and loved that bike and I always said if Yamaha would make the FZ again I would buy one, but I'll probable wait until I find a used one at a good price

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier
                      Have you thought about the SV?
                      The SV's riding position is more like a dog humping a football compared to the Kat. I think the Suzi equivalent is the Bandit 650.
                      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        ...you can't get hard side-mount saddlebag racks (like Givi's), although top-boxes are avaiable...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Givi, Krauser, and SW-Motech all make racks for the FZ6.

GIVI:

Krauser:

SW-Motech:

I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Kat6 swore he couldn't find side-racks for his 03 ThunderCat 600. I think he now owes you a beer!

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the FZ6 and yzf 600r are not compatible. Not one company makes hardside luggage racks for my bike.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just done 'the change'!

Hi, just made the same swap myself.

Plus points:
                              Comfier riding position
                              A lot more go
                              Sounds better (to me anyway!)
                              Much better handling
                              Looks better (again personal opinion)
                              More aftermarket parts available

Minus points:
                              Wheelies if you give it some gas with a pillion
                              Seat squashes down to the rails after a few hours, didn't on the GSX
                              Heavier on gas by a couple of MPG
                              Less space under the seat for junk
                              Higher insurance
                              Clunkier gearbox

I still have my GSX but I can't see me keeping it as the FZ is so much more fun to ride. I have the naked version and its more 'in your face' motorcycling than the faired GSX. Whilst the handling is better I would still recommend the GSX to begin with as learning to get 500+lbs of motorcycle with narrow bars round a few twisties certainly teaches you how to control a motorcycle. The FZ would certainly have been a worse choice as a first big bike and I definitely made the right choice with the GSX.

Comment

Working...
                              X