No announcement yet.
X

Chain and sprocket suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had -1/+3. It was enough to make you have to hold on. Also this was on a 99 Kat 600

Comment

Fast101...I was told that -1/+3 would make a real difference....I was going to do this but could you comment on what this did compared to stock...mine would go from 14/46 to 13/49 if I did it...mine is an 89 Kat.
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
        check out sidewinder sprockets. The ti-moly or the tri metal. They are cutting edge sprockets. I just ordered one. I haven't quite figured out the gearing yet, I know I will have to change the front, cause the rear is not stock gearing, but I think they are great sprockets and they last a long time too.

www.sidewindersprockets.com
        +1

arsenic, did you order from them on my suggestion to you? Just curious.

Meanwhile, I'm a firm believer in going up in the back whenever possible rather than dropping down in the front. The larger radius doesn't hurt the chain, but a tighter turn radius in the front will normally decrease the life-expectancy fairly heavily by stressing the chain link seals further than normal. +3 in the rear is just about the same as -1 in the front. For full sprocket rate tables, see:
        CyberPoet's Katana sprocket ratios and math, at MotorcycleAnchor.com
        KNOW THIS:
        Steel teethed sprockets last 3 to 5 times as long as aluminum under the same load, no matter how the aluminum is treated. This is because all treatments for aluminum are surface treatments, which don't affect the strength of the underlying support structure which has to transfer the stress. A mixed-metal sprocket, such as the tri-metal arsenic mentioned, uses a steel tooth ring mounted on an aluminum carrier hub to give you the best of both worlds (lighter weight and the same expected lifespan as steel).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber...Thanks for the link...wow there is a lot of info there not only on this topic but other ones also...I read the oil one and really learned something..do you have any links for pre 98 kats?
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
            Cyber...Thanks for the link...wow there is a lot of info there not only on this topic but other ones also...I read the oil one and really learned something..do you have any links for pre 98 kats?
            CyberPoet's Katana-specific links at Motorcycle Anchor.com, the best security products in the world!

You'll find pre-98 stuff in the family tree listings, in the sprockets and in the JCWhitney cross-refs. Everything else is general knowledge and not year-specific to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X