X

Chain inspection

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain inspection

When inspecting the chain, I noticed that I had several 'O' rings missing & some stuck in between the links.
    1. I assume I need a new chain?
    2. I have almost about 9,800 miles, does this seem abnormal?
    3. Should the sprockets be replaced at the same time so it all breaks in together?
    4. What is the cost for having this done?
    5. I am new to the 2 wheel world (this is my first bike), Is there anything else I should know about concerning this issue?

Hi, welcome to Katriders a great source for repair and modification information for your GSXF Suzuki, please take the time to browse the different forums and read the how-to/faq forum before asking any questions. You may find just the answer you were looking for and so much more!

Comment

Re: Chain inspection

Chains and sprockets should be replaced together, as the chains tend to strech as they wear, and the teeth on the sprockets bend with them.

Putting a new chain on old sprockets will significantly shorten the life of the chain.

From the shops I called earlier this year inquiring about having my chain & sprockets replaced, I was quoted $160-$200 in labor, plus the cost of the chain and sprockets.
      Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Re: Chain inspection

Originally posted by nimblekat
        When inspecting the chain, I noticed that I had several 'O' rings missing & some stuck in between the links.
        1. I assume I need a new chain?
        2. I have almost about 9,800 miles, does this seem abnormal?
        3. Should the sprockets be replaced at the same time so it all breaks in together?
        4. What is the cost for having this done?
        5. I am new to the 2 wheel world (this is my first bike), Is there anything else I should know about concerning this issue?
        1. Only you would know what you assume, but I suggest a new chain is very much in order.
        2. yes only because routine maint could have prevented this.
        3. yes but only if you want to extend the life of your final drive parts.
        4. At an average of $70.00 an hr labor costs at labor time equalling 2 hrs
        5. Ebay has nices chain and sprocket sets reasonably priced.

http://www.easttnriders.com

Comment

Thanks for your help.
          I am the one that started this thread.
          I bought an 02 Katana 600 last fall, it is my 1st bike so I am learning as I go.
          I am the type that stays on my maintenanceon equipment, unfortunately when you buy used, other owners may not perform the best maintenance.
          In a real world situation how long should a chain/ sprocket combo last?
          and what are the best fluids to use in keeping the chain clean & lubercated?
          and how many miles before performing that maintenance?
          Thanks for answering my questions - safety is the utmost important factor.

Comment

I use motul chain cleaner and a soft nylon brush. and I use PJ1 chain lube.

Comment

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/ All you need to know about motorcycle chain care. If you follow these guidelines you will greatly enhance your chains longevity. I ran my chain and sprocket set for 5 years and a lil over 40,000 miles. I swear by MFR lube. To tell the truth, I don't know how long I could have gone with the chain and sprocket set I had. I only changed them because I wanted to experiment with gear ratio.

http://www.easttnriders.com

Comment

RK chain claim to have a 20K mile warranty.. I assume thats for normal riding, not hot rodd'n/stunting.. Proper maint. on it should last you a good while..

: the SEARCH tool http://www.katriders.com/forums/search.php works wonders on here.. many many threads on this. Just have to search for your question..

Comment

Does anyone use a 80-90w gear lube (heavey weight oil) from the bottle or are most of ya'll using a spray lube of some type. I noticed one person was sold on MFR chain lube. My dealer sold me chain wax in a spray can, any comments on that. Also are ya'll using Kerosene to clean the chainor another cleaner.

Comment

Does anyone use a 80-90w gear lube (heavey weight oil) from the bottle or are most of ya'll using a spray lube of some type. I noticed one person was sold on MFR chain lube. My dealer sold me chain wax in a spray can, any comments on that. Also are ya'll using Kerosene to clean the chainor another cleaner.
                    I couldnt find an kerosene locally so I used some Motul Chain cleaner, it works good, but I used quite a bit of it up due to the previous owner not keeping up on his maitence.

Comment

I use Kerosene and a "grunge brush", http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/ a 3 sided brush that will really allow you to scrub the living crap out of it without a huge mess. When done with that use a little very light compressed air to drive the remainder out. Then finish it off with Silkolean semi-senthetic spray chain lube. It says "no-fling" but I can say it's low fling.
                      It gets re-lubed every 400 miles and scrubed every 800. I have 15K miles on my bike, and the only chain and sproket wear I can see, is the little orange indicator dot on the chain has been worn off. No visible wear on the sprokets.
                      It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

You may also find all the answers you are looking for on my Understanding Chain Wear and Maintenance webpage, including what lead to the failures and how to avoid them.

I'm of the opinion that lubing should be done far more often than most people do it -- and cleaning should be done less often than lubing.
                        I used to oil every gas fill-up (spray 2 - 3 seconds worth of lube on the chain as it spun in 1st on the centerstand), but now I have an automated chain oiler that does it for me consistently as I drive.
                        I've always gotten between 15 and 32k miles out a stock chain before it was even marginally worn when I was manually oiling it each fill-up, so that should speak volumes about whether my method works.

TIP IF YOU DON'T REPLACE YOUR OWN:
                        Most shops will only charge you a small fee if you get your chain and sprockets replaced at the same time as getting a rear tire mounted & balanced. Why? Because it eliminates much of the redundency in time that each process uses individually.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          TIP IF YOU DON'T REPLACE YOUR OWN:
                          Most shops will only charge you a small fee if you get your chain and sprockets replaced at the same time as getting a rear tire mounted & balanced. Why? Because it eliminates much of the redundency in time that each process uses individually.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Cyber, this makes the most absolute sense that I can think. However I ran into this. Was going to have a KTM/Victory dealer mount my new tires I was going to buy from same stealership. I inquired about having the wheel bearings serviced at the very same time. They wanted another $100 to service those bearings. I thought: YOU DUMB ARSE THIEFS...do really think I'm that stupid???
                          I can certainly understand someone owning a shop, and another service member having to make a living.......but I took my business somewhere else.
                          It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

I did not know chains were to be lubed so often. I was thinking maybe 1 / 1K miles or so. Going to have to get started on this today...
                            2001 GSXF 600

Comment

Has anyone used DuPont's Teflon Multi-Use for chain lube . It is inexpensive and it says o-ring safe. The other thing I noticed it is not sticky so it will not hold grit to the chain. I bought some my self but I have not used it yet. I am very interested in knowing how it works?

Comment

Working...
                              X