X

keep the airbox, or ditch it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep the airbox, or ditch it?

have a pre-98 600 and planning on ditching the airbox and going with K&N pod filters, just to simplify things.

this will be a commuter/fun bike, not looking for "maximum" anything, other than enjoyment.

bike has a supertrapp 4-1 from the prevous owner, and carb mods are unknown at this time. planning on jetting the carbs as needed.

just curious if pulling the airbox is opening a can of worms, or if the fairings eliminate most of the need for the box.
    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Removing the airbox will mean a bunch of rejetting work. That rejetting work will net you more power, but if you're not looking for more power, stick to the airbox for reliability.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not just rejetting but to get it right includes dyno time.

Stick with the airbox!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Stick to the airbox. I have a pre as well with the K&N in the stock air box. It's much easier to work with and tune...for me anyways..

Comment

What they all said.

Getting the jetting right for pods can be a hassle...
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I used to have a Stage-3 Dynojet set on the pre-600 engine which comes with dual pods, it was a PITA to get it right, stay away from the pods use Ivan's jetkit, as I understand from reading "reviews" from some members that's the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
              I used to have a Stage-3 Dynojet set on the pre-600 engine which comes with dual pods, it was a PITA to get it right, stay away from the pods use Ivan's jetkit, as I understand from reading "reviews" from some members that's the best way to go.
              Ivan doesn't have a kit for the pre-98 (pre-96 in europe?) Mikuni carbs for any of the Kats. Now if someone were to bring him a pre-98 Kat and let him keep it for a month or so, you would get a free jetkit, and get your bike super-tuned by Ivan himself as he develops the pre-98 for your bike... But nobody has shown up there yet (and that offer's been on the table for like 2 years!).
              [Disclaimer: you have to bring the OEM headers, OEM airbox, OEM air filter, OEM muffler and OEM advancer with you, even if you run aftermarket version, so he can test the OEM configuration first to develop the main kit, and then he can look at super-tuning your particular config afterwards.]

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Leave the box, from my experience pods look cool but they suck...alot of air that is...I deal with late 70's KZs and CBs they run alot better with the stock box then the pods...it seems even with dicking around with the carbs more air then fuel in the mix..

Comment

I have the 4 into 1 exhaust on my bike with the pod filters and it runs great. I bought it like that so I got no idea whats been done to it or how to check it, but I know it runs great lol

Comment

AHAHAHA pod filters simplify things? AHAHAHAHAHA agh you're killin' me.
                    '01 TL1000R

Comment

Re: keep the airbox, or ditch it?

Originally posted by fixer
                      have a pre-98 600 and planning on ditching the airbox and going with K&N pod filters, just to simplify things.
                      now that's a contradiction if I ever heard one.

it's like one of those oxymorons, or whatever you call it.

you know.....like "military intelligence".
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well ,the pods DO amke some things simpler . Mainly , taking off the carbs for adjustments and such . But , you'll HAVE to take off the carbs to make adjustments more often , so I guess it's a trade-off .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Where is Ivan? If I can find a stock set of pipes, I probably wouldn't mind leaving it with im.

Comment

Originally posted by AMorgan
                            Where is Ivan? If I can find a stock set of pipes, I probably wouldn't mind leaving it with im.
                            He's pretty far away . I thought about doing the same thing when he first made the offer , but when I found out he's in like New York or something ..... But hey , if you wanna give it a shot , I can probably let you borrow a stock pipe ....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X