No announcement yet.
X

"Clutchless Upshifting?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cyber. Ive allready got 35k. Im hopeing to get through this summer. Then I am rebuilding the tranny and having the thing bored 3mil. If it doesnt make it I will buy another 05 1k and start tearing this one apart anyways. I just wont have any cash right now to do anything with it. As for 1/2 seccond. that is way to long. Ive got it set at 56 milliseconds. The other guys I race with have theres set at about the same. They are set as low as we can get them and still have the thing roll in to geer.
    Its nice being single with good job. But Id give up the toys for a certain girl.
    Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
    6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
    5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Clutchless upshift a kat if you want to be doing trans repairs instead of riding.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKDEATH
        cyber. Then I am rebuilding the tranny and having the thing bored 3mil.
        If you're talking about your late model GSXR (rather than a Kat), the metals used in your transmission are harder alloys & higher quality than the ones used in the Kats, plus your 2nd & 6th gear sprockets are 0.7 mm deeper in the valleys between the teeth for a larger mating surface.

From another post of mine (Sales Figures & Gear Failures '99-'01 GSXF & GSXR750):

Oct/Nov 2000: Suzuki changed their 2nd gear design for the GSXR 750 so that the web-portion of 2nd gear was extended from 8mm to 8.7mm, increasing the engagement depth from 3.5mm to 4.2mm. This change was made to address complaints from the field concerning momentary disengagement of 2nd gear. The old part was not withdrawn from the field (i.e. from parts warehouses), but was phased in as the standard production part effective 8 Nov 2000. The part was made available as a service component in Oct 2000.

That same change was introduced to the whole GSXR line by March of 2001 from what I understand.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I clutchless upshift all the time on the street... not racing. My theory on the whole clutchless thing is if you have to force it you shouldn't do it. I've got it down to where I can just rest my foot on the shifter and snap back the throttle quickly and it upshifts effortlessly. As far as down shifting goes I've done it once going from 5th to 4th at about 4,000 rpm and that alot more effort that I felt comfortable with and I haven't clutchless downshifted ever again. Another thing to remember is that if something is there that you're supposed to use and you don't use it then you should be prepared to replace things sooner than expected. That goes for anything... not just the clutch.
          ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Oh for the love of MIKE, just pull the gosh darn clutch in jebus.
            2008 Ducati 1098
            2001 Suzuki Katana 600
            Suzuki Proud
            Ducati Strong
            Rode across the US and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda Bob
              Oh for the love of MIKE, just pull the gosh darn clutch in jebus.
              2 biggest problems with me using the clutch when Im on it seems to be I miss the gear , then over rev . I know it sounds stupid to "miss the gear " but I think my large feet and boots seem to preload the shifter a bit and I dont get a good clean engagement. I feel like the shift needs to start at the beggining of the Lever travel.
              This often leads me to over rev the engine when i get back on it . (Feel like a total A$$ making all that noise)

When I clutchless shift (throttle blip) , I never miss and it just goes right in .

I never Clutchless downshift, I was taught to heel - toe in a car so I just carried it over to the bike . Does this seem wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Dozer7380
                2 biggest problems with me using the clutch when Im on it seems to be I miss the gear , then over rev . I know it sounds stupid to "miss the gear " but I think my large feet and boots seem to preload the shifter a bit and I dont get a good clean engagement. I feel like the shift needs to start at the beggining of the Lever travel.
                This often leads me to over rev the engine when i get back on it . (Feel like a total A$$ making all that noise)

When I clutchless shift (throttle blip) , I never miss and it just goes right in .

I never Clutchless downshift, I was taught to heel - toe in a car so I just carried it over to the bike . Does this seem wrong?
                Note, this is not intended to be a form of personal attack in any sense (except the tongue-in-cheek kind where I rib you for what I think you're trying to say... ):

What I hear you saying is "I'd rather not look like an arse in public by virtue of my inability to shift the right way reliably, so rather than possibly adjusting the shifter mechanism (to position it better for your feet), getting a better shift indent-spring (to improve the "snap" of the shifts), and practicing what I ought to be doing, I think I'll just pay the price when the tranny gives... at least that way I'll only feel like an arse in private while I'm trying to wrestle the new engine+tranny into the bike."

Did I get that right?

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yep , I think that about hits the nail on the head.

But I will try and make a few adjustments before commiting to this habbit for good. I dont think I'll be able to get away from the "heel -toe" though.

Comment

i clutchless upshift everytime no real problems, i would never clutchless downshift.

Comment

The only time i use my clutch is if im coming to a stop or if the bike has not warmed up yet. I've had my Kat for over 5 years now and no problems but i will say it's all in the timing, knowing when to let off the gas alittle to alow the shift. But everybody has there own style and we're having fun doing it. 8)

Comment

cyber,
                        you are right. its my 1k that im talking about. I didnt do it on that kat hardly at all. I only do it on the gix when im slamming gears. it is smoothe when doing it that way. and cuts the et down at the strip. but for street at low rpms Im not a fan of the feel of it. there isnt enough of a load on the tranny or something. but it never felt right so I dont do it.

your artical souds accurate tho. and like I said before. This is my toy. I know the risks with my tranny at the strip. When it dies ill tear it apart and rebuild it. thats what I do with toys.

the kat is a toy to. and if you treat things rough you will eventually kill something in the motor.
                        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                        6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                        5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

I often do it from second gear up. 60k km on mine so far, and no problems. If you do it fast and with a small blip of the throttle its effortless, and it certainly doesnt feel as if you are forcing anything.

Downshifting without clutch is a big no-no. Had to do it to get home when my clutch cable broke, and its no fun, and I dont think my bike liked it one bit

Comment

Working...
                          X