X

Dealer not calling...yet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer not calling...yet

I posted earlier thoughts on a 2000 Suz. GZ 250 for my wife. 1270 mi. in appears to be excellent condition (blue & silver). I told the dealer, cash sale, (right now it's zero here in OH), but not to exceed NADA which is $880-1155. They want $2499. Phone & Email are silent...will see what happens.

(Do dealers get insulted if you offer something way below what they ask or is their figure gloriously over inflated?).
    LMT

Re: Dealer not calling...yet

Originally posted by LMT

(Do dealers get insulted if you offer something way below what they ask or is their figure gloriously over inflated?).
    no more insulted than i would be for them trying to sell me a bike for twice NADA. Hope they call you back, good luck.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

If they are serious about moving it, they will call.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

never buy a used bike from a dealer. Craigslist.com

Besides, couldnt you buy a new one for $2500?

Comment

New is $2995, and many dealers can be pressed to make it $2995 out the door, depending on the time of year, and whether they would capture the sale otherwise (easier to get from an "A" list dealer who can order-to-fulfill than from a "B" list dealer who has to buy his bikes through an "A" list dealer because of insufficient sales quantities to be an "A" list dealer himself).

Wait a week and reoffer the same amount. Repeat indefinitely. No skin off your back.

Good luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

We all should recognize they have the right to ask as much as they want for it.

Really the decision is yours as to whether it's worth it to you.
            I expect they'd let it go for $2000.00, out the door.

Again is it worth it, to you?

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

$500 bucks off a bike that is seven years old?
              I would buy a new one for that price, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto

I'm jus' sayin'.
                  "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                    Originally posted by chinto

I'm jus' sayin'.
                    i have to agree also
                    www.gleno.net
                    what doesnt kill you will only make you wiser and stronger

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      ,,, and whether they would capture the sale otherwise (easier to get from an "A" list dealer who can order-to-fulfill than from a "B" list dealer who has to buy his bikes through an "A" list dealer because of insufficient sales quantities to be an "A" list dealer himself)...=-= The CyberPoet
                      HUH??? What did he say??
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        ,,, and whether they would capture the sale otherwise (easier to get from an "A" list dealer who can order-to-fulfill than from a "B" list dealer who has to buy his bikes through an "A" list dealer because of insufficient sales quantities to be an "A" list dealer himself)
                        Originally posted by StevieB
                        HUH??? What did he say??
                        Suzuki dealerships fall into two general categories or tiers, based on how much product (motorcycles) they order.

The first tier ("A" List / Tier-1) dealers order more than some set amount of bikes per year -- say an estimated $400k worth of bikes from Kawasaki (and/or $500k of total orders including parts). They get preferencial pricing structures, and get better deals from Suzuki as a result of their sales volume.

The second tier ("B" List) dealers are still Kawasaki-authorized, but don't move enough Kawasaki-specific bikes/supplies to qualify for tier-1 pricing. For these guys, it is usually cheaper for them to team with an "A" List dealer and buy through the A List dealer than it is to buy from Suzuki directly (they have to buy some minimum number from Kawasaki directly to maintain their franchise, but usually order the rest from an A list dealer instead). For the both dealers, it's a win-win situation because the A List dealer orders more (keeping his A list status), while the B list dealer gets a price that's still a percentage point or so lower than ordering directly from Kawasaki.

There can also be reciprocal multi-brand A List deaers (say one dealer is "A" List with Suzuki and another is "A" List with Kawasaki, but are "B" List dealers for the other brand and trade favors that way).

Thus, a first-tier ("A" List) dealer can drive a better deal than a B List dealer, because he gets the bikes at a cheaper price to begin with.

Most "A" List dealers are in big urban areas where they can sell a ton of bikes. Or part of a larger chain of stores which pool their buying.

But lately, there's been a new trend in the industry where a few podunk dealers have become A list (tier-1) dealers by selling massive amounts of cut-price bikes, both locally and nationally. These guys aren't planning on ever seeing you again, know you don't live there and know the only way they can tempt you to buy from them is to way undercut your local dealer. If you pick up a copy of the Motorcycle Trader, you'll see a few of these outfits with two-page spread ads. In my area, there is one of these guys about an hour or so north of Tampa trying to tempt buyers out into the Styx to buy significantly cheaper. He tends to capture a lot of the already-biker crowd that know about him, because let's face it, if travelling an hour saves me $500 or $1k on a new bike, I'd have to be a fool not to. First time buyers and those not in the local biker scene have no clue and they'll pay whatever the local dealer says is the going rate for whatever is on the floor (they were slapping out the first ZX14R's at a $2k mark-up because the demand -- mostly from newbies -- would still let them move it at that price).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Supply and demand!

Comment

I will say this:

NEVER be afraid to offer an insultingly low price to a dealer. They are already trying to get an insultingly high price anyways, so low ball them and expect to try to meet in the middle. So long as you know the average trade in value and retail value, you have numbers to work with. I can PROMISE you that they did not pay retail for it, so they have room to play with.
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                            X