X

Should I do the first oil change before winter storge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do the first oil change before winter storge

My wife bought me my first bike a 06 750 Katana for Christmass. I put 20 miles on it before it got too cold for me to ride. Should I change the oil now for winter storge or can I wait untill it is do at 600 miles this spring since I only have 20 miles on the bike?

It's a judgment call I guess. IMO? I'd probably leave that oil in until the 600 mile service.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves
      It's a judgment call I guess. IMO? I'd probably leave that oil in until the 600 mile service.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Actually, what you need to do is fill it to the brim with oil. That will keep mositure out of the engine casing. Then before your next ride, doil a complete oil and filter change. With 20 miles on it, your rings should have set in, and you will notice small little shards of metal. Doing a oil change will remove those. Remember, the oil in your engine is also the oil for your tranny. All those little shards will end up in your tranny.

Just fill er up until oil is about to come out of the fill hole. Screw the cap back on, and you will be set. You may also want to put some Stable in your gas tank.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Here's a question...doesn't really apply to me because in CA we can ride all year round...but when storing your bike and if you are just going to let the oil sit and then change it out before you start it at the beginning of the season...can you just use cheap car engine oil? I know for riding around it's not recommended or advised but if you are just going to fill up the engine to prevent condensation/moisture can you use just any engine oil for that purpose?
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I'd think that using the cheap stuff is fine as long as it's compatible with your wet clutch.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

With only 20 miles on it; how many were on it when you bought it? I assume very few but even so, I'd change it because even with 20 miles ridden on that oil it's still gotten dirty and contaminated so I'd change it.

Comment

Wow, i dont care how cold it is, i dont know that i could have packed my new bike up for the winter after only putting 20 miles on it.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                  With only 20 miles on it; how many were on it when you bought it? I assume very few but even so, I'd change it because even with 20 miles ridden on that oil it's still gotten dirty and contaminated so I'd change it.
                  The bike is brand new it only had 0.3 miles that the dealer tech put on to test the bike out.

Comment

IMHO:
                    Change the oil twice to three times before the 600 mile mark (for new bikes, I normally change at 50, 150, 300 miles). The metal shavings that are being cast off the engine as the parts come to seat will be the primary cause of engine wear for the next 30k miles.

With only 20 miles on the engine oil in a brand new engine, assuming it's parked in a cool, dry place, I would leave the current oil in until the spring, and then change it just before riding again. If it's parked somewhere where the bike regularly forms condensation, I'd top it up (adding about 3.5 liters to the oil already in there) using a diesel oil that is wet-clutch compatible, and then drain it come spring and replace it with a good dino-based motorcycle oil. Personally, I recommend Kendell brand motorcycle oil for use during the 600-mile break-in period, because the last time I looked at their formulations, they were particularly high in anti-gaulling additives.
                    Once you get to the 3500 mile oil-change, you can step over to a good synthetic if you would like.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. I will change the oil and filter this spring or as soon as we get more than one day of warm weather.

Comment

Working...
                      X