No announcement yet.
X

Why did you buy a Katana(s)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cause an 03' was only $2000, didn't want a Ninja 250. Basically came down to that. I don't really like the looks of Kats, but I can still ride all day long and have fun with all my SS bike friends.

Comment

The power screen is what initially got me interested plus no-one else in town had one like it, after that it was the design, while test riding the Kat the sound coming from the exhaust made me happy, it had a deep tone when slowing down, the power of the engine hooked me hard.

Now 15 years after first buying the Kat new & buying it back from one of my brothers I still love it. With a few cosmetic changes a lot of people think the Kat is new, that's another plus
      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

While in the Air Force in California, during the late 80's, I was about to trade my Honda Interceptor 500 in on a brand new Katana that I fell in love with... Then Saddam Hussien happened... Life changed since the first Gulf War... and I am finally back on my financial feet... 8) I finally got my dream bike. Better than ever. I reaffirmed my affection for her with, the Ride- smooth, Price- $small$, Insurance- $28/mo., Killer original sportbike looks, and 750 power enough for me and my wife. The Kat will be my bike forever.
        2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
        Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
        "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
        Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
        Veteran of the United States Air Force.
        "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

after i bought my 94 virago new off the showroom floor, i knew i was in for a mistake. Don't get me wrong the virago was a very good bike for me. But one of my buddies on base (i was in the Navy at the time) was riding a 93 Katana 600, Nice bike, and the name stuck in my head.
          Now add a decade...
          September 05:
          Gas prices were hitting 3+ bones a gallon, I went looking for a new set of two wheels to alieviate the 30+ bucks every two weeks i was dumping into my car. I compared the gixx 6, the CBR 6, R6, and the Katana all side by side. I kicked myself for not going sport bike 10 years ago, and i didn't want to kill myself either.(either phsyically or pocketbook wise) I went to a couple dealerships (One had a used Kat for sale in Perfect condition) that was my first Real look at the 98+ Katana, I compared the kat to the r6 here and immediately crossed the r6 off the list. Dealership wanted waaay to much for the kat. so off to the next dealership i went. At ther suzuki dealership, i finally put the kat 6, gixx 6 side by side (the Busa, gixx 750,and 1k were already out of the picture due to price). I finally saw the bike i wanted, price was right, and the colors were good (i was originally looking at a blue and white 05) but the salesman already sold the blue and white Kat, all i had left was the red 05, I was set in my mind i wasn't leaving without a bike. So the next day (since they had to crate one in from O-town) i had my 05 Red ever since. I learned alot on this bike, me and the kat have our shares of good days and bad. where another kid would have jumped to another bike, which i almost did when the kat decided to be stubborn about getting on its centerstand, and down she went. scraped up the right side fairing. I got her up off the ground and back on the stand, did a search for Katana and found KR. KR lead me to better riding, it lead me to new friends, and quite a number of infomation on the kat. since i did mechanical work in the past on my own cars,i looked to start a project bike since i didn't want to turn wrenches on the 05 yet. a couple months later, i get my 93 (of all years- the year of the bike my buddy had) now my time is split between riding the 05 and breathing life into my 93.
          Its been one hell of a ride ever since
          now if i ever find a blue and white 05 600 one of these days....
          (but that is waaay down the road)

Comment

Fall was coming and this guy had nowhere to put the Kat for the winter I called and gave a low bid on it with out even lookingat it. He called back a few days later and asked if I wqas still interested. Rode out on my old 1986 FZ600 took her for a spin and offered the same price that I quoted over the phone and he agreed. Picked her up a few days later.

The price on insurance is a joke, it is $20 more a year, and the the comfort is a plus to especially when the gal rides with me alot to NovaScotia. And the 750 is quick enought to keep up with the 600s in the area.

Comment

I knew I wanted a Sport Tourer .. and I was on a 250. I started talking to guys with Blackbirds and Busas because they are the bikes I like the most. They all said get a 600 - 750. progress in stages. So I started looking at the smaller sport tourers .. limited options really VFR800 Triumph Sprint or the GSX750F (Katna) out of all of them .. bang for buck the Suzi wins hands down. I have had mine for 5 years and never a single major mechanical issue. Suzuki have won me over with there performance and relaibility and if I ever own anything other than this bike it will be another Suzi without a doubt.
              2001 GSX750F
              1995 ZZR600

Comment

bought it used a 02 kat 750 for 2 grand needed a grand worth of work with only 4200 miles on it. Plus insurance was super cheap and a decent ride. Not happy with the looks but for the price and the way it rides not too many problems. I have only seen a handful of kats in my area so it's cool everyone has gsxr's.
                "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Its a bike, It moves, It turns, Its cheap, Easy to maintain, and its NOT A HARLEY!

Comment

Was looking for something that was sporty, fairly quick, and good looking, plus wouldn't rupture my bank account payment or insurance wise. When my son and I arrived at the dealership there it sat, a black 06 Kat 600. It looked as tho it was doing 70 mph just setting there!! I had done a little research and the gixers (what I thot I wanted) were just too much bike for my particular needs and skill level. I'm 58 and haven't had a bike in over 20 yrs. However, I've been on them since jr. high and the Kat is my 3rd bike since the 70's. I bought the Kat in Aug. of 06. I then did an extensive research of all sport bikes. Yes the Kat is old technology by today's standards. However, if you have any mechanical abilities and some basic tools YOU can do the majority of the required maintence on this bike. In doing so you become very familiar with it's quirks and mechanical operations. You realize that this bike has a personality of it's own. You laugh?? Let me give an example: I'm retired Air Force. I'd go out to the flight line and there sat 40 F-4 Phantom jets all made by McDonnell Douglas. Some were just a year or two apart. Yet everyone of those aircraft had their own peculiararities, their own personalities. The Katana with it's older engine design will let you mold it to your own specifications. It's a very stable bike due to it's weight and geometric design. Which builds confidence because the bike tends to be predictable once you become accustomed to it's handling characteristics. With a good set of tires and a capable rider this bike will keep up with almost any of them out there today. So, if your looking for a reliable, inexpensive (payments, insurance, maintenance) bike, that will jump on a 100 mph in mere seconds, looks great and has a long a reliable heritage then a Katana is what you need.

Comment

I had a Virago that had more problems than I wanted to deal with , so I started looking for another bike . That Katana is what I found . I thought it looked cool , was the right color , and after a ride I wanted it BAD , so I bought it . Turns out the Katana I'd bought had plenty of problems as well , but it would still start and run almost every time .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I was looking for a second bike, and wanted something that was old man comfortable and good for long days in the saddle. My main ride is a Moto Guzzi California, so you know I like that "weird Harold" kind of look. I went to a Honda, Triumph and Suzuki dealer to check out the Triumph Sprint. Sat on just about everybike on the floor, and the kat just felt right. At 52 yrs old I enjoy reading about the latest, greatest, fastest, etc., but don't have a need to own one. I don't enjoy riding in groups, so wondering how I would keep up with others was not part of the equation. I got a very good deal on a left over '05 blue and white 600 and I'm glad I bought it. It's fast enough for me, although initially I was disapointed in off the line grunt. I quickly learned to get the R's up, and that was no longer an issue. Longest day in the saddle to date is a bit over 400 miles, and I was able to get up (after sleeping in a tent) and do it again. I don't really care for the stock sneakers, they're not bad, but I think new rubber will improve feedback / feel. I still like the Sprint, but the Kat has met my needs, fits my style of riding, looks great, and kept 5 G's in my pocket. It's a keeper.
                        '05 KAT 600
                        '98 MOTO GUZZI V11 EV
                        '76 HONDA GL 1000

Comment

I was a cruiser rider and wanted to try something different. The only two bikes I had any interest in at the time were the Kat 750 and VFR800. The VFR was a SLIGHTLY better power performer. But the Kat was more comfortable two up and was no where near Honda expensive. Didn't care about fuel injection, so away I rode on the Kat.
                          I'm a pirate!

Comment

My uncle had one and I remember how beautiful it looked. Then as time went on I bought my first bike and 17 it was a Yamaha Maxim XS 400 and had a lot of fun on it but I sold it when I went to college. So I have been telling my self for about 5 years that I would get another bike. So after I got divorced and got my feet back on the ground I started looking and doing my homework. When I went to the dealer my 04 was on sale and I just fell in love.
                            "A man who won't die for anything is not fit to live." MLK Jr

Comment

Re: Why did you buy a Katana(s)?

Originally posted by BlackburnD
                              To be perfectly honest I love my Katana. I plan to purchase a newer 750 in the next year so the woman can have the 600.
                              Why would you want to buy a discontinued bike?

I like my Katana too, but I will replace it someday with another bike, and it won't be another Katana...

I just wonder what is the logic behind getting a discontinued bike.

Comment

Oh... and to answer the question:
                                I got mine for the looks and the price.

I don't think it's the perfect bike for me, but I am in my process of discovering which one will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X