X

Winter storing / starting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter storing / starting

So my bike is sitting through the deep freeze. Fresh oil, stabilizer, full tank.... My question is, should I let it run a couple of times before spring? I know it will probably make my muffler rust. But I'm wondering if it may be good for the valves, rings, springs, etc. to move a bit instead of sitting in one postion for several months straight. Opinions?
    I'm a pirate!

Re: Winter storing / starting

Originally posted by Lord Ryan
    So my bike is sitting through the deep freeze. Fresh oil, stabilizer, full tank.... My question is, should I let it run a couple of times before spring?
    No .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If your concern is moving the moving parts, just pull the plugs and roll the engine over by hand.
      93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Not needed .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Unless you are going to run the bike all the way up to operating temp (and top off the fuel afterwards) -- such as to ride on a warmish day, don't start the bike at all. What you may want to do is rotate the wheels so the tires don't flatten out by sitting in the same spot -- but you can do that by hand and don't need to start the engine to do it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Let her sit, it won't be too much longer.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

just let her sleep. but do turn the wheeles every now and then to avoid flat spotting.

Comment

My friend started his bike every couple of weeks last winter. He kept it in an unheated area. I warned him against it because he would never let the engine warm up fully and at the end of the winter when you looked through his sight glass at the oil all you saw was water.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Guess I'll leave it alone then. I have her up on the center stand. But I guess there would still be a bit of weight on the front tire. I'll give it a spin when I get home today.
                  I'm a pirate!

Comment

I put a piece of rigid insulation under the front tire and give it a 1/4 turn once a month.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

A couple cut-to-length bits of 2x4 under the forks will keep the front off the ground as well (as would a racing stand, or a strap through the steering head over a beam above the bike).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X