X

My Motorcycle Cover got stollen the other day

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Motorcycle Cover got stollen the other day

My motorcycle cover got stollen the other day. I was pissed, but thankful that it wasnt my bike that was missing. The next day, a Gixxer that parks next to me also had its cover stollen. A fellow rider (who happens to be a cop who busts motorcycle thieves) told me that that was probably done by thieves who were scoping the bikes for the type of alarm and lock on the bike.

These are some of the points he mentioned, I thought it might be some useful information:

I would be very alert/suspicious for the next couple week in particular. Bike thieves will generally do this type of thing (steal a cover).

1. It lets them see whats type of bike is under the cover

2. Its lets them see what type of locks they may have ahead of them, so they now know what proper tools to bring

3. Stealing the cover is almost like a mach run for the bike, it allows them to see who is watching/coming/going, who is paying attention to them, allows them the chance to see if the owner is going to come running out

4. If they get caugt stealing a cover its generally only a ticket and cut loose with a citation/court date, whereas the bike is a trip to jail.

I speak from experience as you all know what field im in. Santosh if I were in your shoes my next step for a piece of mind would be to contact Plano PD and do the following.

1. File a report over the stolen cover. I know its a measly cover, but trust me the cops need to know what was stolen and the location/area where they theives are hitting, and you never know when one of us (cops) might run across a bike chop shop as we have located a few here recently. It all adds up once the reports are filed, but if we dont have reports filed when we find these chop shops with parts, accessories, covers, helmets......we cant return them unless we know whose they are and that comes from reports.

2.****MOST IMPORTANT.....If you do one thing do this NOW!!!!**** ASAP contact Plano PD and inquire what stolen rockets have been taken recently in the city, say the past 6months or so. Ask for locations,times of offense and bike models if possible. The department should be able to research this quickly for you, heck we go over every theft from the previous night in briefing so they should have this information handy for you. This will give you a good idea where they are looking in the city for bike thefts ie-apartment complexes, hotels etc etc and what time the thefts are occurring which is most likely between 1am-5am.

My best advice is to get a garage. Good Luck!

Of course since then, I have moved my bike to a friend's garage. I could not fathom having my bike stollen. Damn those motorcycle thieves.
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Good move, I'm glad you have a garage to move the bike to ... TNDR's wouldn't be the same without you!
    ~ Lisa
    2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
    2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Thieves in general should burn. I hate faceless cowards who steal my shiat. I'd rather them come punch me in the face so at least I know who it is.

Comment

or get one of these - I'd love to have this installed!

97 Katana 600
        [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Replacing the cover ASAP is wise, as is actually adding a cable lock to the cover itself (most modern covers, such as DowCo's, etc., have reinforced holes at the bottom of the cover to permit locking it into place). Some covers on the market even have alarms built into them, such as this one:
          DowCo Guardian Secure Cover for the Katana

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How nice it would be if the cops caught them in the act!
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
              How nice it would be if the cops caught them in the act!
              If the alarm goes off on the cover and the cop is the neighbor, they might easily actually catch 'em... just a thought.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

An effective punishment would be not jail, but to make him clean and polish it at the owner's call, for life!
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

get a sniper rifle!

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

with my luck i'll miss the thief and hit my bike

http://www.easttnriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Replacing the cover ASAP is wise, as is actually adding a cable lock to the cover itself (most modern covers, such as DowCo's, etc., have reinforced holes at the bottom of the cover to permit locking it into place). Some covers on the market even have alarms built into them, such as this one:
                      DowCo Guardian Secure Cover for the Katana

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      I got one . I keep a lock on it . I'm actually more worried about someone trying to steal my cover than the bike . Alot easier to walk off with a cover not locked on than a bike .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

is a good reason to park the Kat in your house.

Comment

Even though the bike is now safe I would still be watching every night for some suspicious activity. Maybe you will catch them in the act trying to steal another bike.

Comment

Originally posted by katanasoldier
                            An effective punishment would be not jail, but to make him clean and polish it at the owner's call, for life!
                            That would be sweet justice
                            2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by macgyver
                              Even though the bike is now safe I would still be watching every night for some suspicious activity. Maybe you will catch them in the act trying to steal another bike.
                              I have been keeping an eye out, cause my window faces the other bike. Funny thing is that the owner of the other bike (which no longer has its cover) doesnt have it chained to the post anymore. Maybe he is keeping an eye out too and waiting to catch the thief in the act.
                              2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                              X