X

Rider hieght

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider hieght

Hi all, I am considering an '06 Kat but the only thing I am concerned about is my height. I am 5'7 1/2" and when I sit on the bike my feet dont get anywhere near flat on the ground. I am told that the difference in saddle hieght between the 600 and 750 is only 1/2 an inch, is this true? Are there a lot of riders out there who are similar in stature to myself? How do you find the bike when stopping, do you have problems with handling at stops? Will softening the suspension a little bring the seat hieght down? Has anyone modded their seat to bring the hieght down a little? I guess the big question is how do short people find the handling of the bike at slow speeds and coming to a stop? Woudl any of you consider this a show stopper?

Just fyi, I am an experienced rider, been riding for nearly 20 years, but just want to step out of the cruiser world, I got bored too fast and need a little excitement put back into my riding. I am more interested in the touring side of the Kat than the sport side, although that is going to be fun too.

Thanks in advance.
    .................................................. ...................

I see stupid people everywhere, they look just like the rest of us, but the scariest part is, they don't even know they're stupid.

Originally posted by Mojoe
    so seriously.....if you are stupid enough to put yourself in harms way to cheer on an idiot, then you deserve what you get if something happens.
    Originally posted by Range
    I think I threw up a little in my mouth....UGLY

a while back i thought i saw someone here who had lowering rear links for sale. dropping the bike a bit might be your best option. though if you were into cruisers you should easily be able to handle the weight of a little kat. unless by cruiser you mean 250 rebel. all seriousness though "softening" the suspension will only make it sag a bit when you want it to and probably too much when you dont. i dont recall what people have been doing for the front forks as far as lowering them but i think it had something to do with a pvc mod. that may be something else though. search for lowering links or drop links and see what you come up with.

as for the height thing i guess i am not the guy to talk to im 6'5" and think that my kat600 is maybe a bit to small for me. size wise not power or fun wise.

plus a lowered bike looks pretty cool
    '93 naked kat 600 (wrecked and sold)
    '82 v45 magna 750 (sold)
    '80 xj650 maxim
    "evil" '96 saturn sl2
    '90 toyota pickup (killed by farm implement)
    '94 toyota pickup 265000 miles and counting

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33006 my bike as it was

Comment

I'm 5-6 and ride a Kat 600 (2003). My feet do touch the ground. but with nothing to spare. I do feel comfortable with it though. I'm still getting used to the bike at stops and on hills. It does feel a little top heavy but then again it isn't a cruiser with a 28" seat height. Wouldn't trade it though.
      LMT

Comment

I'm 5'5"-5'6"
        I'm better at slow races and slow speed manuevering than alot of more experienced riders. Who needs to touch the ground?
        You'll be fine.
        Live and Lean.
        When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
        "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
        Romans 3:23

Comment

Your inseam measurement is far more critical than your total height. Figure a stock 98+ Kat (600 or 750 - no seat height difference) needs about a 31" inseam measurement to flat-foot the ground.

You can lower the bike through a variety of methods, but the best you are going to get down to is about 1.5 to 2" shorter than stock. Lowering links (dogbones) is the first method that should be employed to accomplish this, followed by shorter sidewall tires (60 profile tires in the standard tire widths will drop 1/2"), shaving the seat or replacing the foam with a thinner layer of denser foam, etc. A quick search around here will net you all the info you need.

If that total drop (to 29" inseam measurement) won't cut it, you need to find a different bike, wear thicker-soled shoes, or learn to support a very heavy bike somewhat tilted (the last is never my suggestion, but it works for some riders).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here you go, let me know what you need.

Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

Thank you folks, once I had the right keywords for a search it was very informative. Once I get the Kat in the garage I will give you a call ne-oublie.

Thanks a bunch, oh and btw, this appears to be a great forum, I had to pull myself away from it last night.
              .................................................. ...................

I see stupid people everywhere, they look just like the rest of us, but the scariest part is, they don't even know they're stupid.

Originally posted by Mojoe
              so seriously.....if you are stupid enough to put yourself in harms way to cheer on an idiot, then you deserve what you get if something happens.
              Originally posted by Range
              I think I threw up a little in my mouth....UGLY

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer
                Thanks a bunch, oh and btw, this appears to be a great forum, I had to pull myself away from it last night.
                Trust me, you're not the only one. Many of our girlfriends/wives suffer because of this forum!
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Get a pair of these riding boots and you'll be fine - you just have to reposition the shift lever slightly
                  97 Katana 600
                  [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Originally posted by Wade-Kat600

Get a pair of these riding boots and you'll be fine - you just have to reposition the shift lever slightly

I want some !!!
                    - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

I have a ~29" inseam. As long as you have at least the balls of your feet on the ground you are fine. If you need to put your entire foot down, just lean to one side and keep the other on the peg.

You can try adjusting the preload on the rear shock to see if that does anything. I have mine set at a couple notches from being all the way soft.
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                      1981 Suzuki GS450 (Only moves when I push it)

I am "a halfway decent rider and wise-ass who is way too narcissistic for his or her own good." (Results of http://www.bytebrothers.org/SquidTest.htm, July 12, 2006)

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
                        Originally posted by Hammer
                        Trust me, you're not the only one. Many of our girlfriends/wives suffer because of this forum!

How true, how true.

I'd try scooping the seat first, lowering the bike second. It always makes me nervous when I see someone at a stop light balancing a bike on their tip-toes. If your toe lands inadvertently on an oil patch the momentum of a bike tipping builds up a lot faster than most people realize.
                        sigpic

Comment

That's when being a woman is practical ... we might be short but are all legs !!!! I'm only 5'6" and can flatfoot the Kat :
                          Guylaine
                          Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by _Sky_
                            That's when being a woman is practical ... we might be short but are all legs !!!! I'm only 5'6" and can flatfoot the Kat :
                            Yup you girls have some advantages.... my gf is only 5'4" and she can flatfood me too (I'm 6'7")

Hihaaaaaa!!!

Comment

Hammer, I'm a shorty, 5'5" and have found my '03 750 to be just right. I lean the moto at stops or I just put in neutral and stand upright with one foot flat on the ground. The Katana is perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way. It might take some getting used to but it all worth it at the end... Just my 2 cents.
                              Alex
                              Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

Working...
                              X