No announcement yet.
X

Handling and cooling: commuting and touring on a 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, guys.. at this point I think the decision doesn't have much to do with whether I will buy the Kat - but which Kat am I going for? I could save over $1000 for the one in Arkansas, and it only has 5000 miles. An '02, I think. But I'd REALLY hate to fly over there and end up stuck with something not quite "mint," or flying back empty-handed. At least the one at the dealer has a 30-day warranty, and I've dealt with him before...

I will let ya'll know what happens as soon as I've made a final decision. You guys have been a great help, I'm really learning a lot about this bike now.

I still have to wait till the 25th to pick it up, though - my IRS refund, next paycheck, and the money for the EX (if it really is sold already; still haven't received any cahs for it) will all come together then.

Comment

Originally posted by fotocycle
      Thanks, guys.. at this point I think the decision doesn't have much to do with whether I will buy the Kat - but which Kat am I going for?
      You may want to start looking through both eBay and cycletrader.com (and/or the print version, Cycle Trader). I've used both to track down bikes, looked at them in person and then bought them... The Kat I have now was one such deal -- $4250 for 1 year old with 1500 miles on it; the local Ford dealer took it in on a trade-in, listed it up (CycleTrader refreshes on Thursday mornings at 2:31am if I recall correctly) and I was there at the time their shop opened to put a deposit on it. By the time I came back at noon with the rest of the $$ (had to wait for the bank to open), 12 others had offered to buy it -- the sales manager even offered to split the $1k higher offer they had gotten if I would back out. Kats are abundent and usually underpriced -- just because you don't find one at a specific dealership shouldn't keep you from searching.

cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ditto what others have said.
        Let me add, while I never owned a EX500, I did own a EX250 for awhile. I really enjoyed my little ninjer two-fitty! I took a few out of state trips and commuted a lot on it. Great bike, and yes, very flickable, though the suspension was kinda' crappy..this was one of it's greatest drawbacks in the handling. I understand that the 500's have better rear shocks, but I can't beleive that the total suspension is on par with a Katana.
        As for overheating, I was always keeping an eye on the temp gauge of my lil' Ninja, espeacially in stop and go traffic. It came close to overheating a lot. (Mainly because You had to really get the revs up to make power). I've never had my Kat even seem to be overheating at all.
        As for which Kat...hmmm..I don't know. But I do know you won't be disapointed.
        My 600 Kat is the fourth bike I've owned and easily my favorite.

Comment

The only reason the GSXR engines(which the kat is derived from) went away from oil cooling is that racing would over heat them, not street riding.
          Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

uhh you came to a katana discussion site to ask what we thought about a kat?

Well we will give honest answers the whole air cooled versus water cooled is a load or crap. Air cooled works jus fine look at the VW bugs in the Baja runs. THey work just fine in the heat (granted taht do have a fan on the oil cooler) at least with air cooled you do not have to worry about antifreeze and such. Damn I miss my VW
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Well, I don't have a Kat and never have. Plus i think everyone has got you covered for info. So, I'll just say, WELCOME TO KATRIDERS!!!!
              Josh

'97 TL1000S, '91 GSF400 Bandit

Comment

You will love the KAT and it will never let you down..as for not having great handling....I am pretty sure that the bike will exceed your expectations and that you will have to push that bike hard to reach its limits...:P
                Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys...

zleviticus, I know ya'll just might be a little biased, lol, but I knew I could get some straight answers on here. Nothing beats experience. The Kats got a bit of a bashing on another board when I asked about them

I know I can find something cheaper if I keep waiting, but I think I've waited enough already, lol.. the problem with FL is that right now, we have great riding weather pretty much throughout the state - and no one wants to let their bikes go I've seen bikes sell privately for more than they cost when new. It's a crazy market. If I waited till summer, our rainy season, I might get something cheaper - but this is a now or never kinda thng (long story involving an impending move).

By the way, the guy with the Kat in Arkansas never got back to me... so I told the dealer I'll be picking up his (the one in the pic) next Saturday. A little overpriced, but it looks real good and has a 30-day warranty. Can't wait!

Comment

In response to Zle..,
                    the Kat aint got any water to help cool it down, its oil/air cooled. air cooled motors? the kat aint that either - OIL/AIR cooled, yeah?
                    Cant go wrong with the 750, fleeces sports bikes over 20 miles, sofa seat, enough torque to piss on twat sport riders who don't know how to ride (aint that most of em), stable and predictable handling, ex fairing, easy work on engine, the list goes on.
                    I've had an R1, TT600, Fazer thou, and now the best..750 pot.
                    Nuff said
                    Robbed and cheated by scum, plebs, waggers - it ain't you is it mate?

Comment

Originally posted by TOTTI
                      In response to Zle..,
                      the Kat aint got any water to help cool it down, its oil/air cooled. air cooled motors? the kat aint that either - OIL/AIR cooled, yeah?
                      Cant go wrong with the 750, fleeces sports bikes over 20 miles, sofa seat, enough torque to piss on twat sport riders who don't know how to ride (aint that most of em), stable and predictable handling, ex fairing, easy work on engine, the list goes on.
                      I've had an R1, TT600, Fazer thou, and now the best..750 pot.
                      Nuff said
                      That's a brief review straight out of T.W.O. magazine! Thanks, TOTTI. I reckon it will do me well too. Already got a fender eliminator for it, to get rid of that shovel out back on the very first day of ownership! I feel bad for you guys across the pond, you gotta leave it on (for the most part) because of the laws about those big ol' number plates, right?

Comment

Not sure of language Foto, but still have big old plates on back, hugger coming, but not able to get fenda extenda for 04 model over here.
                        How's the bike?
                        Robbed and cheated by scum, plebs, waggers - it ain't you is it mate?

Comment

I will be picking it up this Saturday, so I will let you know 8)

Comment

Well, as it turns out.. I will not be getting the Kat after all

I went back to the dealer, and he kept telling me that financing the Kat would be a major hassle 'cause it's a consignment bike, and the owner would not wanna go for it. Could I pick something else?

I had told him what I was looking for - originally a CBR600F, '97 or newer, or a Ninja ZX-6E - and when I went in today, he told he had gotten what I was looking for.... So I rolled out on a '98 Honda CBR600 F3 instead. Mileage is similar, price was right...

I still like the Katanas - bikes which I had never really thought about till I saw that 750. And the CBR's riding position might eventually make me wish I'd gotten the Kat instead (It's really not that bad.)

Ya'll are a cool bunch of people, and I sure hope to bump into some of you guys out on the road sometime. Thanks for all your help in getting my questions answered! Ride safe out there 8)

Comment

Few thoughts for you:

1. Feel free to stick around, you don't have to have a katana to be here.

2. I went from a EX500 to a kat 750. Yes the katana is bigger, heavier and less flickable, but the katana is a 'real' sportbike and the 500 is 'sporty.'

3. HD's have problems and overheat b/c they are air cooled, the katana has air/oil cooling. Use good oil and you will be fine. Also, there is no water pump to fail, no coolant to monitor, no electric fan drawing power from the ignition system. Less moving parts means less complexity and less parasitic power losses associated with water cooled bikes.

4. An EX500 is easily flickable, but cannot power out of corners. You must maintain speed through the corners. The katana has a nice midrange power band, so as long as you keep the revs up you can corner somewhat slower and more than compensate at the exit of the turns.

Believe me, everyone should start on a >600cc bike. They are great learning tools, but no one who has ridden an EX500 will feel a 750 katana is lacking performance in any category.

F3 is a nice bike and will let you learn more about riding. When you get tired of it you will know if you want a sportier bike or a more touring oriented bike. (plus there is a ton of aftermarket support for that bike)
                              I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Thanks... I will try to pop in every now and then and participate in the more general topics 8)

Yes, I learned quite a bit about Kats from this experience. I had always heard how "un"-exciting they are from people who didn't know any better. I'm glad to say I realized that they are actually quite nice bikes.

You hit the nail on the head about the Harleys that are air-cooled - that's exactly what I was worried about. When I found out the Kats were air/oil cooled, I relaxed some. Hell the F3's temp gauge gets pretty high before that noisy fan kicks in, lol... maybe I would prefer it to be air/oil cooled too.

And you're right about the EX500 and its abilities in powering out of corners. The F3 is so much better to throw around, as I imagine the Kat would be too.

Comment

Working...
                                X