X

Sensitive Choke!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitive Choke!!!!

I love my KAT - no issues at all in 1500 miles.

Except this:

When I start the bike in the cold, I set the choke about half way to get it going. When it starts, it quickly revs skyward and I just as quickly keep adjusting the choke to keep the RPMs down below 3K. The choke itself seems to be EXTREMELY sensitive. It's almost hard-on or completely off.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

It has to do with your definition of "cold" and the type of fuel being supplied locally. It's normal... except that you should be keeping it at 2k, not 3k, max 30 seconds.

59 degrees (as the low tonight in VA Beach) is not all that cold, and with the highs around 70 you probably don't need any choke during the day at all. Once the temp drops into the low 50's in the day and way cooler at night, then the choke starts getting much more important to get a truly cold bike (one that hasn't run in 12 - 24 hours) booted up.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mine does the same, but after 30 secs I take it off and she hasn't stalled on me yet.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

My '06 took awhile to figure out--even the dealer couldn't grasp it. It seems that once set, it doesn't like to be fiddled with or it will die for sure.
        MikeG
        Central Oregon
        2006 Suzuki GSX600F
        (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

choke

8) Mine jumps up there on start. I back it down to 2k for 1/2 minute then hold with choke off for a bit. I pull the clutch a couple times to get warm oil in there. Never ride with choke on. Seems to work pretty good.

Comment

mine is the same way and so was my Yamaha.

Comment

yep, mine will do that, but I have figured it out pretty well.
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've got it figured out I think. Just seems really sensitive when compared to the Honda 750 ACE I used to have. I do shut it off quickly (within 30 seconds) and don't ride with the choke on - Good way to foul plugs and cause other problems.

Thanks again. I love this board.
                2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Hey etcthorne, is that a rate in front of your name???
                  sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                  MSF Rider Coach 27028
                  MoPowerSports.com
                  Torco
                  SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by GixerKat
                    Hey etcthorne, is that a rate in front of your name???
                    -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

GixerKat: Yes. I was just getting my email account with my provider when I made Chief (Electronics Technician) in 1997 and have kept the account ever since. I made Senior Chief in 2001 and retired from the Navy in 2004 after 22.5 years service. I've been working as a database analyst since retirement for Computer Sciences Corporation.

Mark
                      ETCS(SW) USN RET.
                      2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Oh yeah - GixerKAT : I envy you living in NorCal.

The wife and I are orginally from Sacramento and have been stuck on the East Coast (Key West, Charleston, King's Bay, Norfolk) since 1983, so I guess this is home now. But I still dream of the mountains in Northern California.
                        2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

mine was sensitive like that until I put new plugs in it - then it would run at whatever rpm i choose to set it at.
                          97 Katana 600
                          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Originally posted by etcthorne
                            GixerKat: Yes. I was just getting my email account with my provider when I made Chief (Electronics Technician) in 1997 and have kept the account ever since. I made Senior Chief in 2001 and retired from the Navy in 2004 after 22.5 years service. I've been working as a database analyst since retirement for Computer Sciences Corporation.
                            Sounds like my dad, made Senior Chief back in 92 and retired after 20 years. Except now he works for a Defense contractor. Missiles, rockets, etc.

Lots of respect for the military here - spent a summer at Pt. Mugu in California. Wouldn't mind working as a civilian contractor or for some big defense company someday..

Comment

Working...
                            X