Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph Thunderbird- Should I Buy It?

1996 Triumph Thunderbird, with some extras- here's the craigs list post:

I can get it for $2,500. Here are the iffy things about it for me:

I was thinking of a Bonnie. This is bigger, heavier, more motor. Normally a good thing, but perhaps too much like my 98 Bandit 1200? Two bikes too much alike? Oldest, therefore most affordable, Bonnie is 2001, using KBB.com retail value, its $2000 more money- not affordable, for a second bike, to me.

Compared to the B12, 30 less hp (compared stock to stock, or this bike and my B12 with cans and such, I figure still about the same spread) and more weight (Triumph- 485, Bandit 478) Weight by its self is not a biggie, but pwr:wt. ratio is not so good.

So, sock it to me: This time I want informed opinion, off the cuff opinions, shots from the hip, hell, even shots from around the back. If you love or hate the bike, or me for considering it, fire away. Tell me how you REALLY feel.

Just read Wade-Kat600's post- good point, but the Tbird and the speed triple have the same basic motor, trans, rear suspension, don' they? I prefer the vintage look, personally.
    If you don't, I will.
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%
    Yes
    0.00%
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

I've always considered those to be old technology for the money - I just think there are better bikes. If you're all into triumph look at the speed triple or something.....yeah these are cool - or rather nastalgic - but why ride old technology.
    97 Katana 600
    [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

the new triumphs are by no means old tech..old styling yes but..my cousin has the thunderbird out in california and has no problem on palemar mt. his only complaint is finding parts for it cause its discontinued..my dad has a 2004 bonnie t100 beautiful bike and handles well..another cousin just got rid of a 2005 p.o.s v-rod and bought a thruxton..now that bike handles like a son of a bitch..speed triple and the daytonas are fine bikes to...but you cant compare a suzuki to a triumph

Comment

If I was in the market for a second bike, I would definitely jump on that, or at least look into it very very hard and then make a decision.

The seller seems to have taken really good care of it (I know, of course it seems that way, he's trying to sell it).

1) I think it would be a fun ride.
        2) In my neck of the woods at least, you'd turn heads. Don't see many Triumphs.
        3) From what I've heard, the *old* Triumphs are great bikes, but not very good machines, if you get what I'm saying. I've heard that in recent years though (think 1990 to present) Triumphs have gotten much more reliable.
        4) Don't know if the price is good for the bike (note that I'm not saying it's not, I'm saying exactly that, I don't know.) If the price is good for the bike, the absolute dollars aren't terrible for a second ride, which can often be hard to justify to a significat other, or even to oneself.

All things considered, I'd jump on it.
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

Have you test rode it? Go test ride it. You may find that that the cafe racer position is totally not to your liking... Personally, although I like triumph's products, I wouldn't want a cafe racer (too uncomfortable for more than about 20 minutes at a pop, too much neck craning and wrist loading, etc).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Like many of us, he won't allow test rides. (I don't either, until I have cash in hand, so it's hard to fault him for that.) The only cafe racer part are the bars, pegs were not moved, so if I find I hate the position, I can easily change it. I will have to look again to make sure he didn't shorten the hoses and cables, but I wouldn't think anyone would unless they were making a custom and paying real close attention to detail- that would be an expensive mod, for no perf. gain and little asestic improvement.

The 99 Kat 750 I had, had 600 bars, and yes, it was uncomfy. Had I kept that bike, those bars were gonna be the second thing to go- right after that hated D&D can. (You KNEW I had to get a dig in at D&D's)
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Latest update: We had planned on closing the deal at noon today. Seller called me and said he hardly slept last night, realized he did not want to sell just yet. I let him off the hook. We have an agreement that if he decides to sell, I have first right of refusal at (or below, if he waits months) the $2500 we agreed on.

I figured if I be hard-nosed, sure, I get a bike, but if I be cool, I make a friend, and maybe get the bike, anyway.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

good for you dude,youll like a different ride once and a while

Comment

don't plan on riding very far, unless you are on the short side. I sat on one a year or so ago. hated it from the moment my ass touched the seat. I am 6'1, and there is no way I would be able to leave town on that thing. way too uncomfortable for me.

just make sure the bike fits you well enough that you can endure it a while. even if youi can't test ride it, just sit on it in the riding position for at least 5 minutes and make sure you will like it.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Pro: it's got character.

Possible con: it's got character...

Go have a good look at it - you'll know pretty quickly whether or not it's for you.
                    "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

THIS is reason enough to own a T-bird! 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X